The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

emperor scorpion general chat and care

Go down 
+11
_scorpio_
LadyRiotControl
electrophyste
lycanlord
ManicDan
liette
PeterUK
Mr. Mordax
*Connie*
~Abyss~
scorpion111
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/14/2008, 10:28 am

i was examining my emp today, and i noticed little insect-mite things on her. they are very small, nearly unnoticable, and they are always moving about. they dont seem to be bothering her. any idea what they could be? predatory mites, maybe?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/14/2008, 10:52 am

If they're always moving, they're predatory mites.

If they congregate in huge numbers around the joints and don't move, they're bad mites (which predatory mites eat).
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/14/2008, 11:38 am

so predetory mites are good?
Back to top Go down
liette
Centruroides

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/14/2008, 11:42 am

scorpion111 wrote:
so predetory mites are good?

Spot on. They act as scavengers, feeding on dead carcasses of feeders and etc..
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/14/2008, 1:08 pm

I work in a lab where one of my duties includes monitoring mite populations. I know my mites! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/15/2008, 9:58 am

IHeartMantids wrote:
I work in a lab where one of my duties includes monitoring mite populations. I know my mites! Very Happy

do you work with that family? scorps, mites, spiders, etc?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/15/2008, 11:43 am

As far as arachnids, just mites. I help monitor the populations of Eriophyid mites on grape leaves as well as the predatory Phytoseiid mites that feed on them -- sometime's I'll find spider mites, too (Tetranychidae).
Back to top Go down
ManicDan
Centruroides
ManicDan

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/15/2008, 11:47 am

...is it... exciting?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/15/2008, 12:12 pm

When I see a Phytoseiid attack an Eriophyid it is.

Or when swallows strafe / dive-bomb us when we're collecting leaves from a vineyard.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/18/2008, 4:19 pm

ive noticed something weired lately, my scorpie is walking about with it's belly higer above the ground than usual, and its back is in a slight arch. is it about to moult or....? whats it doing? just being weired?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/18/2008, 4:59 pm

It's called stilting. They do that if they're too warm or if they feel like being weird.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/19/2008, 4:30 pm

cool. she doesnt seem to be doing it anymore.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/25/2008, 9:25 am

the old pet shop got alot of new stuff in today, they have been runnin a little low on feeders latley, but i got all my stuff. i got a box of roaches, too. i have to say, they smell like roses compared to crickets. i also got my first proper glass tank. its brilliant and alot nicer looking than a kritter keeper. and on a less pleaseant note, i got tagged by my scorp. it didnt hurt as much as i thought, and i dont think she skooshed to much in,anyway.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/25/2008, 12:08 pm

how did you manage to get tagged? what happened?
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/25/2008, 12:15 pm

Nice! Now go post a sting report. What a Face

scorpion111 wrote:
i have to say, they smell like roses compared to crickets.

Tell me about it! cheers That was my reaction when I first got roaches. So what species?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/25/2008, 1:06 pm

*Connie* wrote:
how did you manage to get tagged? what happened?

i had her in a small box while i set up her new home, and she was hiding under a loghide thingy. anyway, i went to lift up the hide and she felt it rubbing against her side. out of all the hide, she grabed my thumb and jabbed her barb into it. damn. it didnt hurt to much at first, but a couple of minutes later it was throbbing. im impresed! Twisted Evil its fine now, though.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/25/2008, 1:09 pm

IHeartMantids wrote:
Nice! Now go post a sting report. What a Face

scorpion111 wrote:
i have to say, they smell like roses compared to crickets.

Tell me about it! cheers That was my reaction when I first got roaches. So what species?

lobsters, i think. they're quite big!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/25/2008, 1:19 pm

Lobsters are glass-climbers and they can run FAST, so make sure to coat the top inside of the container with vaseline and use a good lid (recommend stretching fabric across the top under the lid -- first instars are pretty tiny). I don't think lobsters are very large; perhaps you've gotten a different species (B. dubia are quite large and very common in the hobby).

>lobster roach pic<
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/25/2008, 2:02 pm

they are definetly lobs. i took one out to look at it, and droped it. it ran out my room. the dog got it though! muhahahahaha!!!

Last edited by scorpion111 on 5/26/2008, 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty5/26/2008, 6:27 pm

i'll be getting pics of my scorp up soon! yay!
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty6/16/2008, 11:09 am

good news!
i found a moulted exo in the scorplings tank! ive seen the culprit he's/she is quite a bit bigger than the other 2i's, who are also about to moult, cause they look considerebly fatter than usual, and the cricket i put in last feed was barely touched. from what i can see of the exo, it was a perfect moult. i hope its the same for his siblings. Smile
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty7/17/2008, 5:00 pm

good news and annoying news.

good news.
they scorplings are doing brilliantly, i fed them tonight. as soon as i took the lid off one came charging out. i gave him his own locust (hoppers) and he seemed rather stingy tonight What a Face
and all his bro's and sis' are doing fine.

annoyning news.
mum hasnt fed for ages! 2 months now, i think. she still comes out at night, and does all the ususal stuff. so i havent seen any feeding action for a while. the weird thing is, she acts like she wants fed! she sits at the edge of the hide in the "feed me" position, but when i offer her food she seem scared frassless of it. or she pics it up, kills it, then sorta.... throws it away. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty7/17/2008, 6:35 pm

Try not feeding her for a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty7/18/2008, 11:17 am

I would just not bother feeding also for a few weeks. if she is not hungry by then I would wait another few weeks.

xxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty7/18/2008, 11:56 am

cool, thanks guys. shes done this before and she suddenly starts eating again for a few feeds then stops eating again. mabye she has a slow metabolism or someting. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: emperor scorpion general chat and care   emperor scorpion general chat and care - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

emperor scorpion general chat and care
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next