The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Scorplings

Go down 
+10
ManicDan
liette
_scorpio_
scorpion111
Kejser
Vietnamese510
Athlon2k2
~Abyss~
Mr. Mordax
*Connie*
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Scorplings - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/9/2008, 7:34 pm

She was "semi out" an hour ago as I went into room to get my...obviously hello kitty Pj's on! I snuck up...thought "wow look how close to tank"...and she slinked her way back under the hide! she is teasing me I swear! I hope I didnt "bother" her though but in all fairness she was out and besides I walk past the tank to get to window and draws etc...so its not like its not something I normally do...as in walking in that area....so only this time I sorta tip toed and shimmied onto the floor...

Its a big water bowl, so I need something inside it so the little ones dont drown when they start exploring. I was thinking moss maybe...but that makes the water go stale quickly in my tank!
I did look in shop toay but what they had was all coloured! wont buy that! Will look in another shop next weekend...and if not then sooner in this other shop that is more "fish" then reptiles but im sure they might have what I need if I need it during the week!

xxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/9/2008, 8:19 pm

Can you find polished "river rock"? That stuff works good.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/10/2008, 4:02 am

river rock....
I will have a look today in a pet shop that sells...fishies What a Face

I have seen what I think you mean, big smooth and round. I havent been able to find ANYTHING like that!
Will continue search today

xxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/10/2008, 4:03 am

I've found it at pet stores as well as garden supply stores.

Hee hee . . . now it's MY turn to be up late and on the forums!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/10/2008, 4:11 am

hehehehehe up late eh! to me it just shows the time you post in my time and not in your time.
Im up "early" to some people I know. But im up late!

hehehehe not as late as last night!

I have look in some pet stores but only have the normal gravel for fish tanks! *sighs* but I shall continue the search as we are nearing a week and they might start getting curious! and to be honest...they do look a little bit bigger! so surely they must have had a molt?

xxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/10/2008, 4:15 am

I'm eight hours behind you -- when you were posting this afternoon I knew it was late there. Rolling Eyes (I'm not stalking anyone or anything -- as I mentioned my stepdad was from Wiltshire and I got good at flipping between time zones.)

They will actually change colors when they molt (turning to something between brown and black) and freely wander from mom. If they're still bright-white and not walking on their own then they haven't molted yet. You might also find what look like shrivelled-up skins in the tank -- that's kind of what the first shed exoskeleton looks like. It's not as "crisp" as the molts they have later on.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/10/2008, 4:20 am

oh they still white...maybe they have been moving about on mum and switching positions which I think is what HAS happened as it was two on one chela and now there is one on each...and I think this moving around has shown me the one who was "behind" who is much bigger...anyhoo!

No no, dont think you are stalking at all! I get confused about america and time zones. I have a good friend who lives in canada and she is 7 hours behind...one less then you!

As long as you dont have work tomorrow!
xxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/10/2008, 4:22 am

They tend to move a little on the mom. I've noticed that before.

Nope, another day of sleeping in!! Razz I live on the west coast. Time zones are weird -- we have four in the continental US, and six if you count Alaska and Hawaii.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/10/2008, 5:05 am

I cant wait for their time to explore but now im worried that they havent molted yet...maybe I need to pour in some more water but there are droplets on the inside of the tank still on the glass

xxxx
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/13/2008, 1:02 pm

1 week today and all seem to be alive *I was told this in a text this morning, I will be home tomorrow*

Now, all on her back still. Not a problem?

Also, when they do come off...IF they come off her back and molt like they should, is a false bottom set up ok for them? or should I just have a "basic" set up until they are bigger?

xxxxxxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/13/2008, 1:55 pm

they will moult while on her back, then leave the mom. They will leave the exuvium all over her back looking like runny egg whites.

A false bottom is okay, but a plastic box with a lid will suffice.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/15/2008, 11:34 am

Just managed to take a blurry, not very close picture! At least two on her back look waaay bigger then the rest! will get some gravel to put in the water bowl tomorrow basically upto the top as dont want them drowing! *SQUEEE*
Hope to buy a small new tank tomorrow for the babies when they all venture off and can be taken away from Mum. I will do that on the 19th if everything is "ok" and going as it should

Scorplings - Page 2 Scorplings
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/15/2008, 11:44 am

Nice update Connie! 4 more days will probably seem like 4 more weeks to you huh...

Curious... what is holding that cork bark up on the right hand side of the pic?
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/15/2008, 11:48 am

nothing is holding it up, its his books *comics...graphic novels* on the table because I thought the same too when I looked back at the picture
Cork bark is down and flat on the floor. I didnt open or disturb tank. Although i will tonight to mist...pour...

xxxx
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/15/2008, 2:47 pm

Ok she even more out the hide...and in a typical "waiting for food" pose.
What should I do? Feed her a crushed cricket...or just leave her a few more days until the others have moulted?

xxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/15/2008, 9:58 pm

Can you tell for sure that they've molted and started wandering? If so, I'd chance offering a headcrushed cricket (left twitching). If it looks like some haven't molted yet I'd wait.

Double-check for Thaedion's imput -- he knows his forest scorpions better than I do.

Although, it could be a "mess with the kids and get a face full of pincher" pose. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/16/2008, 3:05 am

hahahahahahahaha she was already in the pose when I came into the room. I know some must have moulted because a few are much bigger then the rest. OMG just so cute. I was sat there watching and one moved, flexed its tail and I was like "SQUEEE look how much bigger you are! you look like a teeny scorpion"

Although...I think I know when she knows im there...as im there sat quietly....and im trying to breathe quietly but then I hear my blood pumping in my ears. I guess cuz I dont want to be noticed and when I hear that....that is when she moves to face me....is her vibration feelers THAT good that she can hear/feel my pulse!!!

They havent all moulted yet, only a few. I was more concerned with her being fed as it did look like her typical "food come into my hide"

I woke up at 5 30 this morning and turned on the light just to check they werent out and about and close to venturing into the water bowl...but still there was no "movement" like that and no drowned baby!

I will buy gravel today and fill the water bowl as thats my next concern! drowning!

xxxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/16/2008, 4:31 am

Just be sure to rinse the gravel before you put it in there. And mom should be OK without food until the babies leave her back.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/16/2008, 4:35 am

ok I love you But...if she starts munching on them because she's hungry...I will cry
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/16/2008, 4:44 am

I've never heard of them munching from hunger -- usually it's from stress. My female het that hadn't eaten for a couple months before having babies didn't eat any of them. If she did OK for that long, I think your scorp-mama will be fine. Smile
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/16/2008, 7:50 am

She hasnt eaten for about 2-4 months before giving birth. Her last meal was two small circket as I stopped feeding her hoppers as she wasnt eating them.

Buying some gravel today. So just fill the water bowl upto the top with well rinced gravel? that way they can still drink but wont drown...

xxxx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/16/2008, 8:49 am

I agree with Mike on the not needing to feed and don't worry about how long it's been since she ate last. I had 1 Het and 1 Pandinus birth after 12 to 16 weeks of fasting and no one ate any babies.

You can leave some depth to the water dish, even for the babies, as these will 'bathe' also. Below is a pic of 2nd instar Het that was caught in the act of 'swimming' that is a standard bottle cap (30mm Ø x 13mm deep) clown

Scorplings - Page 2 Heterometrus_capped

Here is a pic of a 2 week old munching on 1/2 of a meal worm I cut up and dropped in, I usually leave the kids with the mom for 1 week after they left the back. I don't know if they learn things from the mom or not but it seems as she coaches them on the 'crush, kill, destroy' of prey items and how to retreat to the burrow defense.

Scorplings - Page 2 Pibabies0311072i004
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/16/2008, 4:15 pm

I have the water bowl now packed with small gravel *only had small gravel, as in nearly like sand!*
but there is still enough water up the top. So if they do make it up the side of the water bowl...they SHOULDNT drown!

Mum wouldnt hide when we were hands in removing the bowl! Its like she didnt want to hide and keep her eyes on us! well what ones that arent covered with babies

xxxxxx
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/17/2008, 3:10 am

Now, I have found a tank in a pet shop that I will buy today or Monday. Its a fish tank. With a fish lid. No place supplies a sturdy lid as its so small. So on its plastic fish lid I will put some small holes and to hold it down a book or something!

Now in the bad shop *See Pandinus Cavimanus Question* I managed to buy some "Plantation soil"..which says its "Coconut husk"...which im guessing is this coconut fibre. I wont give the babies a false bottom set up. I will fill it with this coconut husk and attach the heat mat to one outside wall. Is this ok. Only because I have very little money left and cant afford all the things I would need for a false bottom set up. When I can I will take them out and do this set up.

This is what I wanted to do in January but couldnt get this coconut husk from the shop we normally go to. I said to them I want it, to make a false bottom set up as this is why I dont think my female is giving birth...well she did it anyway on unsuitable flooring that ALL the shops in England seem to think is ok for Imperials. Orchid bark...well clearly Stingy thinks it will do as she did give birth!

I bet this week what I ordered will come in and ive just bought it from another shop!

so another question. When they all moult and come off her back *Loads more to do so as still like tic tacs* when I put food in for mummy, will she catch it and teach them. Or should I injure it so she can have a first meal and then put in small crickets for her to teach them with?

I want to make sure they can do it before I take them out and put them into their own tanks to fend for themselves in there.

I ask a lot I know and mostly about the same things but I just dont want anything to go wrong.

I guess a dumb question is one not asked:tongue:

xxxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty2/17/2008, 3:58 am

The coconut fiber setup sounds fine. As soon as the babies disperse go ahead and change mom to the same stuff. Smile

Moms don't quite "teach" the babies per se, but if they're there it seems she'll kill prey and leave it for them to eat -- like she's providing more than she is teaching. As far as I know hunting is instinctual with scorpions and the babies will be able to eat without a problem when you separate them from mom. If they have a hard time catching prey early on try "headcrushing." It sound gruesome, but twitching prey will attract their attention and can't get away easily.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings   Scorplings - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorplings
Page 2 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next