The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)

Go down 
+10
**GS**
Will3
Ludedor24
Guan Thwei
bluefrogtat2
shining
leiurusSaleen820
*~BEX~*
DolbyR
Jay
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/20/2012, 5:14 pm

I don't think there is a perfect one. They're care is pretty simple anyway. I read a few when I took mine to get some directions and just went from there with what was the most convenient and "felt" more correct.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Ludedor24
Babycurus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/20/2012, 6:29 pm

I put a water based sealer on it.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/20/2012, 10:49 pm

Scorpderp25 wrote:
Hello. I was thinking about getting another BP soon and was wondering If anyone has a good care sheet. I found a few but they all say something different. So what I'm really saying is does anyone know the perfect care sheet to go by thx.
DolbyR wrote:
I don't think there is a perfect one. They're care is pretty simple anyway. I read a few when I took mine to get some directions and just went from there with what was the most convenient and "felt" more correct.
+1
This is exactly what i did too. Whenever I am getting new additions, I'll spend a good amount of time reading care-sheets on the net and if there are doubts, probably speak to some of the more experienced keepers. You will soon realize that most of them highlights the same critical points in keeping them in captivity.

As long as you have met these "minimum standards", you shouldn't go far wrong in keeping them healthy. The specifics probably comes in when you wish to enhance the captivity conditions for your critter e.g. upgrading their tank and or building an enclosure which resembles their natural habitat.

If you have any specific questions, i'm sure DolbyR/Ludedor24/Jay can help out Smile

Ludedor24 wrote:
I put a water based sealer on it.
Cool. Thanks for sharing bro.
Do update us again with photos of her in it when you are available. Looking forward! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Scorpderp25
Hadogenes
Scorpderp25

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/21/2012, 2:57 am

Ok so here's my idea. I was thinking of getting a baby ball ppython and put it in a 20 gallon long with a snap lock lid and lock. For substrate I was thinking about doing 2 inches of coco fiber and on one half put sand and the other aspen because I was doing esearch and found out in africa that they come from the grass lands and savahnas. On the aspen side I was thinking about doing a drift wood shelter thing and lots of plants and the water bowl. On the sand side a few plants and some rocks and the heat souce of a infared and a uth under a rock like hide or. Half log covered by rocks or something cool. I really want to go all out so please give me some feedback because I'm still not 100% sure about the sand some people say its safe others say no because that isn't their natural surroundings
Back to top Go down
Ludedor24
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/21/2012, 6:22 am

Ide be worried about impaction with the cocofiber and sand , defenitly never feed it in the tank if thats what you plan to do , but Ill have to do some research on sand . I know cocofiber is used by people in the hobby just very unpopular
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/21/2012, 6:33 am

Ludedor24 wrote:
Ide be worried about impaction with the cocofiber and sand , defenitly never feed it in the tank if thats what you plan to do , but Ill have to do some research on sand . I know cocofiber is used by people in the hobby just very unpopular

+1

Don't use sand or cocofiber. Specially if you're planning on feeding in the same tank. I'm sure sand is not the healthiest for their eyes either, as they WILL burrow if they decide they don't like their hides.

Aspen is generally considered the safest bet. I prefer to use orchid bark. It gives a nice look to the enclosure but, it's not the safest thing to use either.

Ludedor, what are you using for yours? Looks like each one of us in the thread are using more or less different substrates.
Back to top Go down
Ludedor24
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/21/2012, 8:25 pm

Its black aspen , it says color wont run and nontoxic so far no problems aside from that I just use uncolored aspen
Back to top Go down
Scorpderp25
Hadogenes
Scorpderp25

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/21/2012, 9:05 pm

Ok so ill do a 20 gallon with 2 hides that are logs on each side one with the basking spot on top covered securely with drift wood branches. Subrate full aspen uth under hot hide side day and night bulb a humid hide that is a hide box on the heated side and a deep water bowl depending on the size when it arrives or when I get it from petco with lots of plants

Does this sound ok?
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/22/2012, 9:32 pm

Scorpderp25 wrote:
Ok so ill do a 20 gallon with 2 hides that are logs on each side one with the basking spot on top covered securely with drift wood branches. Subrate full aspen uth under hot hide side day and night bulb a humid hide that is a hide box on the heated side and a deep water bowl depending on the size when it arrives or when I get it from petco with lots of plants
Does this sound ok?

Sounds that you've put in some efforts there. Seems good Smile
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/22/2012, 9:55 pm

Yesterday i had a quick peep into my BP's enclosure. I noticed that he wasn't in his favorite stone hide but rather, he hide himself under the alternative bark hide i've provided.

I opened his enclosure and.... sign

Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Pastel_by_GSscorpions82_230312_pic2

Cleared it up and he's a happy BP once again Very Happy
A few more shots on the signature "BALL" stance..

Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Pastel_by_GSscorpions82_230312_pic3

Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Pastel_by_GSscorpions82_230312_pic1

Last edited by GS on 3/23/2012, 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added numberings for pics)
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/23/2012, 3:37 am

Great pics bro!
Mind sharing what aperture you used for those?
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/23/2012, 6:21 am

Sure bro Smile

Aperture: F8
Exposure Time: 1/200sec
ISO: 3200

Click to view:
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/23/2012, 7:37 am

@ GS--- Nice pics. (As always.)

@ DolbyR--- I like your new avatar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/23/2012, 7:51 am

Thanks GS!
It's time I start playing with my settings.

I've been doing mostly everything at F3.4-F4. And Iso 100-400. Probably my cam won't handle higher ISO than 1600 anyway.

Scorpion19981000 wrote:

thanx
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/23/2012, 8:13 am

Scorpion19981000 wrote:
+1
Definitely not that we don't like to see your face DolbyR Laughing

DolbyR wrote:
Thanks GS!
It's time I start playing with my settings.
I've been doing mostly everything at F3.4-F4. And Iso 100-400. Probably my cam won't handle higher ISO than 1600 anyway.
If lighting is strong enough, there's shouldn't be much noise when using high ISO. Especially during close-ups.
At least for my cam is this way thou. I used high ISO so that i can beef-up my depth-of-field with aperture step down.
On really close macro attempts, aperture can go up till F22.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/23/2012, 8:16 am

GS wrote:
+1
Definitely not that we don't like to see your face DolbyR Laughing

Maybe, but I kinda got sick of looking at it lol!

GS wrote:

If lighting is strong enough, there's shouldn't be much noise when using high ISO. Especially during close-ups.
At least for my cam is this way thou. I used high ISO so that i can beef-up my depth-of-field with aperture step down.
On really close macro attempts, aperture can go up till F22.

Aah, the sweetness of a DSLR... mine goes from F3.4 up to F8.0 Very Happy I always thought the closer I get, the smaller the F value should be Bang Head
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/23/2012, 8:48 am

DolbyR wrote:
Aah, the sweetness of a DSLR... mine goes from F3.4 up to F8.0 Very Happy I always thought the closer I get, the smaller the F value should be Bang Head
Yeah it's a bit confusing, you are not alone, i got messed up initially as well Laughing

In macro, we step-down aperture to increase depth-of-field means that we should be using a higher aperture value, e.g. from F4 to F8

The higher the aperture value = the higher depth-of-field achieved cheers

Last edited by GS on 3/24/2012, 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo updated)
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/23/2012, 8:50 am

GS wrote:
Yeah it's a bit confusing, you are not alone, i got messed up initially as well Laughing
In macro, we step-down aperture to increase depth-of-field means that we should be using a higher aperture value, e.g. from F4 to F8

The higher the aperture value = the higher depth-of-field achieved cheers

cheers

Finally got an explanation that is actually understandable (usually in the net everything is explained like for Pro-photographers) Very Happy

Last edited by GS on 3/24/2012, 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo (Depth-of-field) updated.)
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/23/2012, 11:24 am

Wow guys! Very Happy

I have missed alot in this thread! For some reason I though I got emailed when watched threads are posted on and when I get PM's but that hasn't happened since my last visit strangely, bet I've missed loads!

Don't get me started on apertures and DoF, found it soo confusing and I still do!

Gorgeous royal there GS, didn't think I'd see you succumb to the temptation of snakes too haha. Lovely snake, think I want a nice simple pastel for my next one. Great photos as always too mate, my cameras about to be dusted off. LOL.

Expect lots of updates from me shortly!

snake

P.S. Dolby mate, when did you become a Mod? Congratz bro!
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/23/2012, 11:41 am

JamieLawrence wrote:
For some reason I though I got emailed when watched threads are posted on and when I get PM's but that hasn't happened since my last visit strangely, bet I've missed loads!

That has happened to me before with threads if I've checked them from my phone, but never with PMs

JamieLawrence wrote:
P.S. Dolby mate, when did you become a Mod? Congratz bro!

Just last week mate. Thanks for the congraz Smile

Btw. good to have you back at the forums scorpion
Back to top Go down
sp1int3r
Hadogenes
sp1int3r

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/28/2012, 12:33 pm

Scorpderp25 wrote:
Hello. I was thinking about getting another BP soon and was wondering If anyone has a good care sheet. I found a few but they all say something different. So what I'm really saying is does anyone know the perfect care sheet to go by thx.

i have had ball pythons for years, so if you have any questions about them feel free to contact me
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/28/2012, 12:36 pm

Great to have an expert here!
Can't wait to see some pics of yours.
Back to top Go down
sp1int3r
Hadogenes
sp1int3r

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty3/28/2012, 12:45 pm

i can't wait to show them! 5 more days!!! I have a
Spider
Woma
2 Jungle Pastels
Het. Lavender
Albino Caramel.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty5/3/2012, 8:13 am

Finally got couple of minutes free time for a fast photo session with my girl

Clickity Click:
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty5/3/2012, 3:53 pm

Nice pics, Dolby.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)   Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius) - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Royal/Ball Python thread (Python regius)
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next