The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!

Go down 
+7
bugginout
scorpion111
LadyRiotControl
Carl
Scorpis
Mr. Mordax
Kuma
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/2/2008, 11:26 am

My hets are in a critter keeper like the one you describe for your pandinus.
I totally wrapped the lid. LIke WRAPPED the lid and it has a gap. like the cling film is covering it but not sitting INTO the lid on the inside. Now when you press it down...gently and firmly the cling film will GIVE and it will sit perfectly. the lid will close.

I have the mum pandinus imperator and Ive lost a few babies, one to a bad moult, one to just random death and the others munched. I would say I have....about...at least 10 pandinus imperator young. mostly all 4I now.
I keep them topped up with food. for a little while I didnt put food in...my mistake as that is when most of their feeding on each other happened. so weekly feedings. Be it some are moulting or not...but not when someone is out in the open moulting.
Im not as attached anymore because they are all eating each other and I cant control that. I offer the food...thats all I can physically do since I havent the room to have them all in their own little deli cups. its just not a safe enviroment.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/2/2008, 12:53 pm

Cool Connie, i didn't wrap WRAP it. But humidity better now. One of the 1I died and there were mites around it. Are the others safe?
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/2/2008, 1:33 pm

Moving mites? they would probably just be mites eating up the remains...see them as tank personal cleaners.
This 1I was it one who should have still been on mums back...the little one probably fell off.
Im sorry for the loss. Your batch of 26 is very high. do you have a pic of mum...just to full confirm she is a pandinus imperator. I know they can have very high numbered broods...I ask because in your pic her telson looks black instead of brown/red to me personally...hmm and pic currently not showing....Anyhoo!

xxxx
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/2/2008, 2:22 pm

Not good with scientific names? What common names are we talking about. She's very big and very black. I'll post a pic later for you to see.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/2/2008, 2:35 pm

Connie i think there are close to 30 in the batch. The dead one had been off her back for a few days.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/2/2008, 4:12 pm

Here she is:
First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Scorp110
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/2/2008, 5:02 pm

ha! bet she looks a little bit thiner now the kids are out, eh? thats the first thing I though when all the scorplings were off her back.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/2/2008, 5:53 pm

ok I can see 100% that she is a pandinus imperator. even without seeing the telson the chela are very pandinus imperator like and hairy hehehe

You had a very very big brood!

So where are your scorplings? still in with mum? or in their own tank or in their own containers each?

xxxx
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/2/2008, 6:19 pm

Connie my babies are all a week old now, so still on mothers back. You see I'm planning ahead Very Happy

When they are off mothers back i'll try to get a proper count but it really is not far off 30.

I think it'll be fun to have then in thier own containers for a while (I can feel like a white coat Wink) but then i'll put them in a communal tank for as long as my missus can bear them.

So do yoyu have two different species of scorpion? What's thhe other one called and whats it look like?

Patience is hard work!

Thosee cleaner mites, will theey not harm the other babies then? i only manage to pick out the dead baby as i didnt have a plastic spoon to take out the substate so by now they must have dispersed!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/3/2008, 10:05 am

The cleaner mites are nothing to worry about. They just have little population explosions whenever they find something dead.

The bad mites occur in large numbers along the joints of scorpions and don't move -- good mites are much larger and run all over the place.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/3/2008, 12:14 pm

hmmm...^that description sounds just like the ones that have outnumbered my hissers by about 1,000,000 to 1... but there white??? and hugely fat.... Suspect (not the hissers...the mites)
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/4/2008, 2:45 am

I have lots of scorpions. hehehe if you want to know what I have send a PM. I wont take over your thread on what I have hehe
xxx
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/4/2008, 2:02 pm

Hey Connie, I'll PM you when i get in front of a pc. Right now i'm on mobile internet and it has its limits. Think i may have sorted out the prob but my scorplings keep dying. I've removed the heat mat from underneath and put a smaller one there maybe it was too hot and cooking them. It covered half but was under the burrow.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/4/2008, 5:53 pm

Heat mats should be on the side, not the bottom -- they burrow to escape heat, and burrowing closer to it doesn't solve the problem.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/4/2008, 8:10 pm

I have my heat mat underneath as it wouldnt stay on the side *where I NORMALLY have my heat mats*
But the hide is on the cooler to middle side and their burrows go away from the heat.

Make sure you keep it super super super humid in your tank.
They are being kept alive and regulated by mum at this moment as they are on her back. they get their water and everything they need to stay alive from her and her alone.
If you are keeping it humid and they are on HER back then this is not a problem you are causing.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/5/2008, 5:04 pm

Yeah I'm taking you all's advice and pouring water in to keep the humidity up. The heat mat is a large one and provides heat for two kritter keepers. Also this is the biggest burrow shes built since she was about two give birth which takes up most of the centre of the keeper.

There is only a few inches of substate in there as its one of those flat keepers, so her burrow goes right to the base of her tank.

I have moved her tank so it is over a smaller heat mat. Maybe the babies where cooking Sad

Update one thier progress:

I've checked them as i was cvoncerned about the deaths, i dont know the numbers but They have started molting (Saturday) As alot are off her back. still seen to be a few dead ones in there as many (maybe five or more) are on thier backs and some seen kinda flat.

They are 10 days old.

will I need to get in there to take out the dead ones, if they are actually dead?

all this waiting, a days like a week!!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/5/2008, 6:45 pm

Again: do not put a heat mat under the tank! Supply heat either from the side or from the top. It's quite possible the babies were cooking.

And yes, you will need to remove the dead ones, lest they rot and make the tank gross.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/5/2008, 8:19 pm

Ok taken out the dead ones 11 in total, 18 left. Gutted! That means there were about 29 altogether!

Last edited by Kuma on 10/6/2008, 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/5/2008, 9:40 pm

What? scratch
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/6/2008, 11:03 am

Shocked

eleven?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/6/2008, 11:15 am

That's better than 50/50.

My last brood (diff. species) was 26, with 14 survivors, 4-5 unknown deaths, and 7-8 cannibalized. So 29:18:11 isn't too bad.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/6/2008, 11:27 am

are u sure they are dead??? when they moult they look flat and sort of dislocated dont they???
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/6/2008, 1:07 pm

RIP

Last edited by Kuma on 10/6/2008, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/6/2008, 1:10 pm

Yeah defo dead! Apart from looking dislocated and flat they were riddled with mites. Hope the others will be ok

messy moult
First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Scorp311

2I
First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Scorp412
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty10/6/2008, 1:29 pm

aww there cute... if there is a mite problem it is probably a good idea to seperate them from mum when they darken up a bit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next