The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!

Go down 
+7
bugginout
scorpion111
LadyRiotControl
Carl
Scorpis
Mr. Mordax
Kuma
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty
PostSubject: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/29/2008, 8:46 pm

Hey all,

Recently come across this forum and there's some great info on here! I have just the one Emperor Scorpion as the other two died months ago, one from a bad moult and the other I just found him limp!? This is my first experience with Scorpions and last week she gave birth to about 27 or so scorplings!!
Though unexpected i'm quite chuffed. Concerned about humidity though as it seems to dry out very fast?? She's in a critter keeper and has eaten to large hoppers since giving birth.

Thought i'd share this and welcome any advice!!

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/29/2008, 9:09 pm

If you're concerned about humidity, just dump some water on the substrate -- preferably away from mom so it doesn't bother her.

Welcome and congratulations! cheers
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/29/2008, 9:19 pm

Here are some pics. She's covered!!
First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Scorp12
First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Scorp112
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/29/2008, 9:22 pm

Thanks i'll do that!

Also curious about delicups!? As i'm thinking about what to do with them all when they get bigger. What are they and how do you use them.

Thanks for the kind welcome.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/29/2008, 9:53 pm

You have two options when they get bigger -- keep them all together in a large juvenile community, or separate them (either into smaller groups or individually).

If you keep them together, you're probably going to get some cannibalism, but it won't be a lot when compared to some other species.

If you separate them, it's easier to monitor individual specimens (i.e., observe health and molting, ensure feeding), but feeding generally takes longer.

Delicups are just plastic containers with lids that a lot of people use for small enclosures -- they come in a wide variety of sizes, from the 1-oz cup you get ketchup in at a fast-food place all the way to the big tubs you get mashed potatoes in at a grocery store deli. The only problem with delis is that they dont' get a lot of ventilation unless you poke lots of holes in the lid. However, they're clear all around (better visibility), stack easily, and stack inside each other for storage when they're not in use.

First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Collection

You can see a variety of delis on the two center shelves in this picture. Also popular (and pictured) are the kritter keepers that your female is currently in.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/29/2008, 10:33 pm

WOW! Very impressive!!

Slighty off topic, how many do you have? howmany different types of species and finally, how long does it take to feed them all? One more thing... what does yer missus think??

Those deli tubs look very handy, I'm not sure what they're called in the uk, but i'll have a look out for them.

How long could all my Emps stay in the kritter keeper together (roughly)? I'ts one opf those flat ones, or would it be advisable to get one of the deeper ones (pictured).

And to imagine i was thinking of purchasing another 1 or 2 emps or selling her, thinking it was too costly to keep her by herself.

Suprised me just in the nick of time.

Those Deli tubs, can they be found on ebay, are they known by another name?

Thanks for the rapid response, Awsome collection!! If only!!!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/29/2008, 11:12 pm

How many do you have?

Around 50 scorpions, plus a few myriapods, insects, and true spiders.

howmany different types of species

11 or 12, I think (of scorpions)

how long does it take to feed them all?

I don't really time it . . . but maybe an hour or two once a week.

what does yer missus think??

That they take up valuable space that her tarantulas could use! Razz (Half the stuff in that picture is hers.)

Those deli tubs look very handy . . .

They are! A large number of the ones we have are just saved from when we bought stuff at shows and reused them later -- others, we save from when we get stuff at the grocery store that comes in them. There's places online where you can just buy them in bulk, but I'm not sure where. (Hopefully someone else will log on tonight and fill you in on it.)

How long could all my Emps stay in the kritter keeper together?

As long as it isn't crowded -- recommended space for emps is 2-3 per 10 gallons, so you may want to rehouse them in larger tanks as they grow. It may be fun for you to just set up a large community in, say, a large 30-gallon tank. (But it may be a couple years before they're big enough to need it.)

Also, deeper substrate is recommended, since this species likes to burrow.

And to imagine i was thinking of purchasing another 1 or 2 emps or selling her, thinking it was too costly to keep her by herself.

If you breed your own food, it's cheap to keep scorps. A lot of people on the boards breed cockroaches so there's a constant supply of food to the critters that only requires a bit of fruit and veggies to keep going.

If you do decide to get more adults, keep the space I mentioned earlier in mind.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/29/2008, 11:40 pm

Thanks For all the info, While you where typing i just finished reading your blog. So i'm well informed.

How do you moderate the heat of your massive set-up? And what would 30litre be in inches? 30x18x18????

Need a missus like yours lol!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/29/2008, 11:53 pm

I don't really moderate the heat . . . in the winter, we move them into the bedroom and keep it warm. In the summer, they're at room temperature.

A 30-gallon tank is pretty good-sized (a 30-liter tank would be quite small by comparison). It's roughly 36x24x16 inches, or about 90x60x40 cm.

EDIT: check the chat at the bottom of the main forum page.
Back to top Go down
Scorpis
Babycurus
Scorpis

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-08-01

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/30/2008, 3:30 am

Welcome aboard! and congrats whit the scorplings! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/30/2008, 8:30 am

Thanks! Exciting times ahead. Its just so tempting to take a sneak peak ever so often. First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! 129887
Back to top Go down
Carl
Hadogenes
Carl

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/30/2008, 9:12 am

Congratulation for scorpling Wow cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/30/2008, 10:39 am

Kuma wrote:
Its just so tempting to take a sneak peak ever so often. First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! 129887

I forgot to mention -- the best thing to do now is pretend you don't have a scorpion for a week or two, until they molt and start to come off her back.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/30/2008, 11:18 am

welcome to the forum and congrats on the new additions Smile

there are a few people on here with gravid about to pop, myself included lol.

looks like mike has given you all info you need Smile
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/30/2008, 2:49 pm

welcome to the forum. it seem the same thing happened to us! Razz

good luck with the little guys Wink

and keep us updated!
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/30/2008, 6:35 pm

Hey All Well Wishers!

Will Keep you all up-to-date on thier progress and when they come off her back, try and get a proper head count.

Mike has been sooooooooooooo helpfull!! (Thanks Mike)

Ok apart from misting my scorpions dont exist Wink. been looking at Dubai Roach to set up a breeding colony, not that my girlfriend would allow it. But seen them going for about £7 for 100 nymphs (including p&p) not gonna say where from (mike)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130257631527

All you with gravids, good luck

Last edited by Kuma on 9/30/2008, 11:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
bugginout
Centruroides
bugginout

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/30/2008, 7:06 pm

I get my Deli containers from my old job when I used to be a fish monger but, you try maybe mom and pop deli places and see if you can purchase one roll of cups and lids. They usually they have boxes and boxes of those containers.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty9/30/2008, 7:26 pm

Thanks for the advice Jerry, but dont have alot of your outlets in the uk. Searching on ebay though, may find some on there. Ebay Uk is quite good and very reliable.

What size are good for 2-3I scorps (oz)
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty10/1/2008, 10:14 am

Kuma wrote:
been looking at Dubai Roach

I believe that's "dubia" roach -- they're from South America, not a city in the Middle East. Razz
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty10/1/2008, 12:14 pm

Explains why i couldn't find them on ebay! Duh! Anyway, ordered now and on thier way. Any good suppliers of deli tubs?
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty10/1/2008, 12:57 pm

try ebay again dude lol
or thespidershop.co.uk

is your display pic from akira?
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty10/1/2008, 1:20 pm

dont mist. pour water onto the substrate.
Also cover the lid, the whole lid in cling film so you just leave those slats on the side free. I believe you have the same set up that my het and babies are in.

When my pandinus babies all came off mums back it was 2 weeks and 1 day. I do have a scorpling thread for your reading needs and probably answers a lot of questions you might have because I asked them. it was my first random brood too at the time!
Im much more calmer about the situation!

But at 2 weeks and 5 days I took them from mum. All 19 of them and put them into a smaller tank. ALL are still in said smallish tank with a nice deep substrate.
I have lost a few. Last check I was down to 13 I think...but I think my number is nearer 10 now. Im not upset about that because I KNOW I dont have the space to have them in their own little deli cups, not with my three cats and doors in this darn house that dont shut!!!

So when they are all off mums back...dont freak out. they CAN stay with her.
My het babies are 7 weeks old now and STILL in with their het mum.

Its upto you what you do but dont freak out. she wont feed on her babies for food.
When they are off her back and you keep them in with her you can tong in food for her to catch and kill and you might find, like my het mum did...she killed the food and then offered and ushered her young to it.
NOW they are all having live crickets...about 5 every other day and all are gone by morning! very hungry tikes!

Dont freak out, dont worry. Just wrap the lid in cling film leaving the side slats free and they will be nice and humid but with enough air flow

xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty10/1/2008, 1:31 pm

^That bit about keeping airflow up is important -- stagnant air seems to lead to fungus problems.
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty10/1/2008, 8:56 pm

Graham: Thanks for the web site, does it make sense to get 8oz tubs (9just thinking about how long they'd last in them for)

That pic is from Afro Samurai.

Connie: Thanks for the advice! I tried cling film but it didnt stay on very well and obstucted the lid from closing properly.

What I have done is used sticky-backed vinyl and covered the whole of the iinside of thee kritter keeper lid allowing me to cut around the two plastic doors (not that i really use them for access). Have taken your advice and poured water in, much more affective than spraying. Can i make it TOO damp though?

Connie how many Emps do you have now? I Have read all of your thread, all of your highs and lows are duly noted Wink Are you still attacted to them, is it hard for you to pass them on?

Reading your thread gave eme the inspiration to start my own, of course everybodys experience is different, but its also a great way to chart progress, with advice every step of the way.

Stumbled across a glass tank outside someones yard today, they said i can come take it away, so i may put some in there when they get bigger. At least its deeper!

Guys, your nothing but ladies and Gents! So generously helpful
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty10/1/2008, 10:05 pm

ahhhh yeeeeees i remember now its wen he gets to the top of the mountain n the bear is his friend in a costume n he tries to kill him i new it looked familiar
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!   First Scorpion first batch of 26+  Scorplings!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

First Scorpion first batch of 26+ Scorplings!!!!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next