The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion

Go down 
+4
Patcho
Tongue Flicker
Callum B
Wattsy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2013-03-11

Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty
PostSubject: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty3/12/2013, 6:58 pm

Hi guys I was wondering whether or not it is considered treason to give COIR as a substrate for the flat rock species, I've done some research and found that numerous people are using just COIR alone as their substrate in some cases, that being said I would prefer to use sand but am unsure as to what sand to use and whether or not it should be mixed in with the COIR.

Any information regarding this would be excellent, as far as I'm aware though; as long as the enclosure is dry and has plenty of rocks / slates for it to hide I figure it would be a happy specimen, but I leave it to you experts to inform

Many thanks,

George
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty3/12/2013, 7:20 pm

It just needs to be dry.

Though, dry coir looks terrible in my opinion Laughing. Mix it with some sand to create a more natural looking substrate.

Not that you will ever really see this species wandering on the substrate. If you create a suitable stack of rocks they'll be quite content becoming a part of it haha.
Back to top Go down
Wattsy
SCORPIONMOD
Wattsy

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2013-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty3/12/2013, 7:23 pm

I'll look to mixing in some calcium sand or something soon then, til then it can deal with the dry COIR, and haha yeah I'm trying to make it so that wherever it chooses to rest I'll still be able to view it but still i guess it's no real issue so long as it's happy
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty3/12/2013, 11:18 pm

i have my gravid 6i female H. paucudens on a mixture of crushed white marble, orange gravel and tiny dark pebbles. I kinda have a bad habit of putting inverts on a color-contrasting substrates without compromising their temp/humidity requirements.

she's been eating a lot this past few weeks (1 superworm per night for 17 consecutive days) and is now on the verge of turning obese (not that i want it to and it is not a well-known scorpion to eat regularly, lest everyday) and from my humble opinion she's happy where she's at now (or maybe she's just spoiled and gets to eat everything she wants lol)

+1 to callum.. just keep it dry. that's all that matters Smile
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty3/12/2013, 11:29 pm

exoticvirus wrote:
she's been eating a lot this past few weeks (1 superworm per night for 17 consecutive days) and is now on the verge of turning obese (not that i want it to and it is not a well-known scorpion to eat regularly, lest everyday) and from my humble opinion she's happy where she's at now (or maybe she's just spoiled and gets to eat everything she wants lol)

WHOOOOOOAAAAAA !!! You should slow down a bit.
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty3/13/2013, 12:30 am

Patcho wrote:
exoticvirus wrote:

WHOOOOOOAAAAAA !!! You should slow down a bit.

haha! i know right.. i was worried too at first but scorpion said i shouldn't worry too much. i've cut down her food already and she's on her 5th day of diet, as in no food at all, as of today lol..
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty3/13/2013, 12:44 am

I can't imagine a fat flat-rock. Chin Scratch Because you know, they're flat.
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty3/13/2013, 12:58 am

haha! can't blame me, i'm just a food provider. it's up to the flat rock to ignore it or indulge in it. scorpion said it must have something to do with her having developing young inside her and besides the temp here now is not so forgiving, yesterday we had a 97 degree F and today's not so different lol.. these two factors are drastically and probably improving her appetite Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chrisc
Centruroides
chrisc

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2013-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty3/13/2013, 2:04 am

i keep my flat rock on dry coco fiber and give the setup a little spray once a month or so.
slightly damp substrate is not a huge problem as long as their is load's of ventilation, it's the humidity that cause's problem's
Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion 20130313_055619_zpse169abb7
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty3/13/2013, 3:19 pm

It’ll probably absorb moisture. I like crushed walnut shells for these guys
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty3/13/2013, 5:09 pm

Patcho wrote:

Imagine a really thick pancake...
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty3/13/2013, 5:13 pm

Scorpion19981000 wrote:
Patcho wrote:

lol! Laughup
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty3/14/2013, 12:09 am

Scorpion19981000 wrote:
Patcho wrote:

haha!

@abyss: can other crushed nut shells be used? i think i wanna use pistacchio shells Very Happy
Back to top Go down
vespers
Centruroides
vespers

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty3/17/2013, 11:27 am

Mine has flat stone pieces laid on the bottom of the enclosure, with granite sand to fill in the gaps in between them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion   Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion Empty

Back to top Go down

Substrate for Flat Rock Scorpion
Page 1 of 1