The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

White substance on Flat Rock scorpion

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Trip59
Pandinus

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-12-31

White substance on Flat Rock scorpion Empty
PostSubject: White substance on Flat Rock scorpion   White substance on Flat Rock scorpion Empty12/31/2008, 3:00 am

Hi all, first post, just got my first scorpion today after a bunch of research I chose a flat rock and had a friend at the LPS get one in for me. (also some Asian Forests. might get them next week)

I'm told he's a he, based on shape and size of his tail, sounds right to me... anyhow, he's got a white substance on him, below are some pics.

White substance on Flat Rock scorpion Bug1

I only had a dollar on hand, no quarters, sorry. The dollar is 27mm in diameter, or 1 1/16"

White substance on Flat Rock scorpion Bug2

Here's a large shot of the crusty stuff.

Big image I didn't want to distort the page http://tripbauer.com/bug3.jpg

It appears dry, almost crusty. I've got Bug (my 5 year old daughter thought Bug was a good name, she named my trapdoor spider fuzzy...) anyhow, I've got Bug in a 10 gallon, sand and dry coco as described in several posts here. Seems happy and active, exploring and walking all over the tank, in and out of his half log (just till I get some flagstone caves secured). The store had him in a plastic carrier with wet coco fiber for the last week or so since he came in.

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated, gender, age (guess based on size, is it an adult?) what the substance might be, should I do anything, should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: White substance on Flat Rock scorpion   White substance on Flat Rock scorpion Empty12/31/2008, 3:07 am

Definitely adult male. Housing looks fine.

The crust is probably just some old substrate that got damp and crusted onto the exoskeleton. Nothing to worry about.

If it bothers you, get a damp Q-tip and wipe it off.

Welcome aboard, by the way. Smile
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: White substance on Flat Rock scorpion   White substance on Flat Rock scorpion Empty12/31/2008, 3:27 am

you can clean it off but...scorpions do wash Smile so "Bug" will probably sooner or later take it off himself Smile
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: White substance on Flat Rock scorpion   White substance on Flat Rock scorpion Empty12/31/2008, 3:36 am

Scorpions wash, yes, but this species shouldn't have a bathtub.

Edit: should add that one of my U. mordax had a similar discoloration, but because of the circumstances, I knew it was from the muddy ground around where she was caught.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: White substance on Flat Rock scorpion   White substance on Flat Rock scorpion Empty12/31/2008, 3:47 am

ooh i never meant for water to be put in. I just meant with its mouth parts the scorpion will wash Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Trip59
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: White substance on Flat Rock scorpion   White substance on Flat Rock scorpion Empty12/31/2008, 4:24 am

Thanks to you both for the fast reply!

In regards to the comment about not putting water in, I've seen recommendations for a small shallow dish, recommendations for said dish one week a month, and for no water source.

I'm confident a certain level of moisture is obtained through the crickets, but should there be that additional water source?

Trip
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: White substance on Flat Rock scorpion   White substance on Flat Rock scorpion Empty12/31/2008, 4:43 am

No extra as far as I know is needed. wait for those who have kept this kind aof scorpion Smile
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: White substance on Flat Rock scorpion   White substance on Flat Rock scorpion Empty12/31/2008, 1:39 pm

Some have seen them drink from a dish, and thus recommend it. A little bit of moisture at one end wouldn't hurt, but make sure there's plenty of ventilation.

If you see them completely avoiding the "moist" end of the tank, then don't bother with it.
Back to top Go down
Trip59
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: White substance on Flat Rock scorpion   White substance on Flat Rock scorpion Empty12/31/2008, 3:31 pm

Thanks. The tank has a full screen top and is in an area hit by the ceiling fan. The room stays 75-85 year round (unfortunately for me, it's my office) and there's a heat pad on the side of the tank next to it that it's sharing. I'll try one of the little kidney bowls I have for my tarantula enclosures with just a little water in it and see how it goes.

Trip
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: White substance on Flat Rock scorpion   White substance on Flat Rock scorpion Empty

Back to top Go down

White substance on Flat Rock scorpion
Page 1 of 1