The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)

Go down 
+6
shebeen
Patcho
~Abyss~
vespers
shadowfoot
Shakudo
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/7/2013, 8:08 am

vespers wrote:
I echo Eddy's sentiments...I wasn't trying to be a jerk about the water dish either. Just trying to help. I'm sure your haddy had quite the journey to make it to your country, and the mycosis may have been caused by the less-than-ideal conditions she may have had to endure during that journey.

I know Smile also much appreciated. I think it's great we are trying to help each other, brings a forum much more to the meaning that it has had since the Old Days, to hear each others opinion, to voice what's on your mind and speak of it, where others are to agree or disagree.

So no worries, the water dish will go, can I at least put in a bottle cap? For me, I would sleep more easy knowing she can drink if she needs to.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/7/2013, 8:09 am

Mako wrote:
What a beautiful scorpion. It's nice to see a collector so happy.

Thanks Mako!
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/7/2013, 11:51 am

Shakudo wrote:
So no worries, the water dish will go, can I at least put in a bottle cap? For me, I would sleep more easy knowing she can drink if she needs to.
thumbsdown
Better idea, buy some water gell and right before you feed your scorp let the cricket or roach have a nice drink. That way you know your scorp is getting the water it needs without risking any actual water. I wish you can visit our deserts here in CA....you'd feel more comfortable about the water situation.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/11/2013, 7:54 pm

Yeah, I am already looking for some habitat pictures. I am trying to imagine what it would be like for her.

She is digging... and digging some more... I don't see here anymore, the look-through is barred up because she is digging in the opposite direction now, like in the front section of the habitat going right.

I hope everything will be okay, and that I will see her again soon.

Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/12/2013, 9:05 am

Shakudo wrote:
Yeah, I am already looking for some habitat pictures. I am trying to imagine what it would be like for her.

Just do a web search for "Sonoran Desert".
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/13/2013, 3:25 pm

Shakudo wrote:

She is digging... and digging some more... I don't see here anymore, the look-through is barred up because she is digging in the opposite direction now, like in the front section of the habitat going right.

Beautiful species but yeah in the wild they dig….deep and in a spiral so that would explain why she’s digging in weird directions. But as someone who has actually been to the sonoran desert I can vouch for how hot and dry it is!
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/14/2013, 2:55 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:
Shakudo wrote:

Beautiful species but yeah in the wild they dig….deep and in a spiral so that would explain why she’s digging in weird directions. But as someone who has actually been to the sonoran desert I can vouch for how hot and dry it is!

If I had the coins.... I'd personally come check it out:)

Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/14/2013, 2:58 pm

Ok small update...

Everything is very quiet...
She dug in another direction and with the sand displacement, barred up the window... so I can't see in anymore.

I have listened every day the last couple of days, and haven't heard her digging, making scraping noises or notice anything really.

I hope she is ok, starting to get that "I want to know how she is doing" feeling, but I won't dig her out. It's her natural behavior, and I will give it a long time before I check on her personally.

At least when I could look in I saw everything was ok. I hope I hear / see her soon again.
Haven't seen her above ground since I got her.

Smile Sounds healthy behavior. Hope she is happy.

Last edited by Shakudo on 3/14/2013, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
guats85
Centruroides
guats85

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2013-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/14/2013, 3:11 pm

Im sure she is! They usually stay under for a while when they are content with their sbustrate/enclosure. Its probably a good thing you arent seeing her!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/14/2013, 3:15 pm

guats85 wrote:
Im sure she is! They usually stay under for a while when they are content with their sbustrate/enclosure. Its probably a good thing you arent seeing her!! Very Happy

I hope so, I am really curious how she is settling in, but I hope all is well.

I would very much like to make a picture of her pectines and genital operculum to confirm she is female.
But patience......

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
guats85
Centruroides
guats85

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/14/2013, 3:33 pm

1) Sexing via the Shape of the Genital Operculum (High accuracy)

Genital Operculum is located at the underside of a scorpion.

The location of Genital Operculum is identical for both males and females:

Female: They have a "heart-shape" Genital Operculum and it's pointed tip is facing towards the metasoma (scorpion's tail).

Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp
by GS on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:19 am

.Sexing Pandinus spp and Heterometrus spp

1) Sexing via the Shape of the Genital Operculum (High accuracy)

Genital Operculum is located at the underside of a scorpion.

The location of Genital Operculum is identical for both males and females:

Males: They have an "oval shaped" Genital Operculum

Female: They have a "heart-shape" Genital Operculum and it's pointed tip is facing towards the metasoma (scorpion's tail). Refer to the reference shot i took on my pair of specimens.

2) Comparing the size of pectines (feather-looking thing near the Genital Operculum

As you can see from the picture above, males' pectine are much thicker and longer than female’s. This may be a feasible sexing method if you have a few specimens to compare with.

A pectine tooth count (PTC) will not be effective for sexing as the PTC of males and females overlap in numbers.

Method one should always be your first attempt on sexing.

I thought these were good tips for sexing scorps.

Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/14/2013, 7:28 pm

Those are traits for sexing Pandinus and Heterometrus species. Hadrurus arizonensis have a different set of traits:

1) Pectine tooth count: Males have 32-37 teeth, females have 24-31 teeth.

2) Pectine Length: Male pectines extend past joint in fourth leg, female pectines do not.

3) Distance between the inner (proximal) pectine teeth: In males, the inner pectine teeth will touch or overlap during rest. In females, the pectines would have to be swept back at an unnatural angle for them to touch. Basically, females have a wider space between the pectines to allow for birthing.
Back to top Go down
guats85
Centruroides
guats85

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/14/2013, 7:36 pm

Yeah I guess I did generalize it didnt I? It wiild be different based on different species. My mistake. :/
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/17/2013, 6:10 pm

guats85 wrote:
Yeah I guess I did generalize it didnt I? It wiild be different based on different species. My mistake. :/

It's different, but I appreciate your help anyway!
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/17/2013, 6:12 pm

shebeen wrote:
Those are traits for sexing Pandinus and Heterometrus species. Hadrurus arizonensis have a different set of traits:

1) Pectine tooth count: Males have 32-37 teeth, females have 24-31 teeth.

2) Pectine Length: Male pectines extend past joint in fourth leg, female pectines do not.

3) Distance between the inner (proximal) pectine teeth: In males, the inner pectine teeth will touch or overlap during rest. In females, the pectines would have to be swept back at an unnatural angle for them to touch. Basically, females have a wider space between the pectines to allow for birthing.

Thank you for sharing this, I will see when I finally get to see her again.
I will test it on her pics.

Haven't heard or seen her yet.
I am a bit nervous, haven't heard any digging or scraping sounds this week.
Heard no activity at all.
Hope she is ok.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/17/2013, 6:18 pm

She's probably just in her hole relaxing. I wouldn't worry about it. My Emperors haven't come out of their hide in a very long time, approximately two and half weeks. But I still feed them and they're doing alright. They're very happy scorpions if I had to guess. scorpion
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Checking on Jabba and a little photoshoot!   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/24/2013, 12:56 pm

Jabba is alive and well! bounce

Ok, well I haven't heard from her quite a while.
No digging, or any kind of noises, nor did I see her anymore.

Reluctantly I dug her up, I just had to make sure she was ok and in the meantime gave her terrarium a little upgrade like I did with the rest.

I was very relieved and happy to see a wiggling scorpion coming out of the sand. Laughing

Also I took the time to do a little photoshoot, and check on her well being.
Took some measurements and she was very calm.

I think she lost some weight actually, she seems thinner. She hasn't molted or anything so I give the terrarium a polish added some thinks and left it at that.

I handled her gently behind her aculeus and she was very relaxed and not at all aggressive. I took some pictures and put her back in the enclosure. She now sits behind her hide again.
I am very relieved.

Here are the pictures, please enjoy :

Added some sand, a few pieces of forest ground, some Catappa leaves, and a new stone.

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 221659_523313557708054_285334649_n

Approximately 8,5/9 cmters total body lenght from aculeus to cephalothorax
Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 74412_523287484377328_886095011_n

Very hard to keep the camera still and a scorpion in your other hand but a little picture of the mycosis scar at the mesosoma. Some speculate that is is actually a mating sting wound.

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 301321_523287491043994_1329428758_n

They told me it is a she... I think that is correct looking at the space between the inner pectines which is quite wide, in contrast to a male which has a narrow space.

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 63083_523287494377327_1933412411_n

In all her glory <3
Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 541233_523287487710661_840136212_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 577595_523287567710653_1321136549_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 297047_523287571043986_1130012704_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 527606_523287574377319_564743346_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 482215_523287577710652_1808880975_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 8396_523287664377310_567793902_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 600272_523287667710643_1655130508_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 298318_523287671043976_1499766694_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 5698_523287674377309_1411776283_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 554984_523287757710634_2073569619_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 562244_523287754377301_1736654184_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 483783_523287661043977_343724117_n

That's all folks! Smile Byeeeee !!!

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 300729_523287581043985_2114106841_n

Take care now,

Joey
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/24/2013, 1:09 pm

Nice pics as always.

Looks like she forgot to wipe her butt. Razz
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/24/2013, 1:14 pm

Patcho wrote:
Nice pics as always.

Looks like she forgot to wipe her butt. Razz

Thanks bro!
Back to top Go down
guats85
Centruroides
guats85

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/24/2013, 1:15 pm

Haha! ^ Got a good laugh out of that!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/27/2013, 6:15 pm

Little tour of my renewed enclosure:

Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/27/2013, 6:22 pm

Drool
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/27/2013, 6:38 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:
Drool

thanx
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/27/2013, 7:51 pm

Man I love Haddy's. Hadrurus species are in my top 5 favorite scorpions. Definitely one of the best and easiest to care for...just make sure you get an adult to avoid molting problems. Really nice pics Joey! My H. Spadix is hanging out in it's burrow...haven't been able to get good pix yet.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty3/27/2013, 8:21 pm

Bayss wrote:
Man I love Haddy's. Hadrurus species are in my top 5 favorite scorpions. Definitely one of the best and easiest to care for...just make sure you get an adult to avoid molting problems. Really nice pics Joey! My H. Spadix is hanging out in it's burrow...haven't been able to get good pix yet.

Well I dug her out last time, due to some overprotective tendencies from me...
Haven't heard/ seen her since she dug herself in.
Mine probably is sub adult, so I hope for the best.

H. Spadix is also quite nice with the contrast Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next