The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)

Go down 
+6
shebeen
Patcho
~Abyss~
vespers
shadowfoot
Shakudo
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty
PostSubject: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 3:04 pm

bounce bounce bounce bounce

I am so happy!!!
sunny sunny sunny

I searched my skinny white butt off for a Desert Hairy... called several stores...informed abroad.
Searched the web...

lol!

Today got the crazy notion I should call a particular store... And....
They had the very, very last H. Arizonensis of their collection. It is female and estimated 5th instar.
She is not very big, but eats like a construction worker and is not shy and comes out a lot.

When I visited the store I found her in the open lying on bark chips:

emp

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) 285781_512961012076642_413455594_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) 417590_512961098743300_1036107820_n

welcome Then after a long drive we finally got home welcome

YAY!!!

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) 575003_512961015409975_1566451730_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) 3523_512961008743309_795897389_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) 625687_512961005409976_173903725_n

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) 374436_512961018743308_296608688_n

After maneuvering her gently behind the hide she immediately began digging.... I can see her from the side, and hear the digging noises... I am very happy she took the hint, and began digging on the predetermined spot.

Now she can relax, dig and dig and dig... And I can enjoy studying her fascinating behaviour, and I hope to have a very long time with her flower .

Take care,

Joey
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 4:01 pm

Congrats! She is beautiful!
Burrowing scorpions that don't show themselves has that charm of making you feel happy when they do decide to come out their burrows one day.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 4:04 pm

shadowfoot wrote:
Congrats! She is beautiful!
Burrowing scorpions that don't show themselves has that charm of making you feel happy when they do decide to come out their burrows one day.

Thank you:)

My thoughts exactly Smile

Back to top Go down
vespers
Centruroides
vespers

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 4:27 pm

Is that a spot of mycosis on the trochanter of walking leg I in picture 3? Nice scorpion...she's rather plump...
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 4:39 pm

vespers wrote:
Is that a spot of mycosis on the trochanter of walking leg I in picture 3? Nice scorpion...she's rather plump...

Thank you, she is a good eater I hear:)

I hope it's not mycosis Neutral , but heard it can happen when they are kept too moist. She was on wood chips.

Let's hope not.

I'll try to get a picture when she is out and about.

At the moment, she is very busy with digging a nice burrow, Already saw the entrance being a very nice round tunnel.

They only thing I can do is keep her dry and nothing more I can do if it indeed a spot of mycosis, there is no way to treat it, just prevent it from getting worse.

Back to top Go down
vespers
Centruroides
vespers

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 5:00 pm

Yeah man, get a better pic if you can to get a good look at it.

Perhaps in the wild they could possibly molt out of the mycosis in some circumstances in not full grown? That's just speculation on my part though, as I've never personally owned a Hadrurus with mycosis or have one molt in captivity (I've only ever kept adults). If yours is indeed 5th instar, then it will still have to molt. Captive molts can be a tricky situation. Shebeen likely knows more about such things or has experience with that though.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 5:11 pm

vespers wrote:
Yeah man, get a better pic if you can to get a good look at it.

Perhaps in the wild they could possibly molt out of the mycosis in some circumstances in not full grown? That's just speculation on my part though, as I've never personally owned a Hadrurus with mycosis or have one molt in captivity (I've only ever kept adults). If yours is indeed 5th instar, then it will still have to molt. Captive molts can be a tricky situation. Shebeen likely knows more about such things or has experience with that though.

Yes, I heard about bad molts in captivity. Unfortunately Haddy's are very, very hard to come by due to international regulations regarding import of exotics from the States to the Netherlands.
I really didn't mind having a sub adult, she is gorgeous and the only Haddy I could find in many provinces of my country. I will do my best for her.

I have provided a water dish, so she can drink when needed.
I have a theory that it has something to do with the moisture, and as I keep my sand dry, I will have to provide another form for it's moisture, a little water dish.

I have corresponded with a German breeder, who has several H. Arizonensis, and says that's due to the captive conditions they are in. If they are optimal they shouldn't have any problems. That's his opinion and I hope he's right.
I do not pretend to be an expert, but I did everything I could possibly think of to make her feel at home and give her good conditions to live in.

Shebeen's knowledge of this species has been most welcome.
Gave me some good tips about my enclosure, perhaps he will make a comment as well.

Take care,

Joe

Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 5:31 pm

Short video of Jabba Smile

(big 12 Stones fan as well of Star Wars Smile )

Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 6:17 pm

Molting it’s rather difficult for H.arizonensis. I would get rid of the water bowl all together offer her at least 5 separate hides and LIGHTLY spray under 2 of them with water. Humidity is key for a proper molt and she’s about ready to molt soon, probably why she is digging. If you can, get at least 10 inches of substrate and at the very bottom layer spray a generous amount of water but don’t leave it damp, just enough so that it’s cool to the touch. And keep the surface completely dry and warm.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 6:30 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:
Molting it’s rather difficult for H.arizonensis. I would get rid of the water bowl all together offer her at least 5 separate hides and LIGHTLY spray under 2 of them with water. Humidity is key for a proper molt and she’s about ready to molt soon, probably why she is digging. If you can, get at least 10 inches of substrate and at the very bottom layer spray a generous amount of water but don’t leave it damp, just enough so that it’s cool to the touch. And keep the surface completely dry and warm.

Abyss,

You have seen my other thread I just finished building the whole thing.
I have no room for 5 different hides...
And Haddy's are burrowers of themselves, so I don't know if it's specifically for the purpose of molting.
I guess I will find out.

I'm hopefully saved by the sand to speak.
It is not completely bone dry yet. So if she digs a burrow, and molts I think she will be ok. There is still a bit residual moisture from the cave sand. I can see it being a bit darker, and the left over part of the sand feels cool to the touch like you say. So I reckon the darker parts of the sand in my terrarium is the same consistency.

I mean no disrespect of course Smile but I do not agree on taking out the water dish, I have seen my late Androctonus Australis drink from it, so I know it has it purpose, even if she only drinks from it once a month.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 6:35 pm

Nice! Enjoy your new family member. You can call her burrow the Great Pit of Carkoon. headbang

I am becoming increasingly jealous of your collection shakudo. Keep posting!
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 6:36 pm

Patcho wrote:
Nice! Enjoy your new family member. You can call her burrow the Great Pit of Carkoon. headbang

I am becoming increasingly jealous of your collection shakudo. Keep posting!

LOL, I will Razz alien

Embarassed Thank you for your compliment man!
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 6:40 pm

Sure thing man!
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 7:26 pm

Shakudo wrote:
~Abyss~ wrote:

Abyss,

And Haddy's are burrowers of themselves, so I don't know if it's specifically for the purpose of molting.
I guess I will find out.

It is not completely bone dry yet. So if she digs a burrow, and molts I think she will be ok. There is still a bit residual moisture from the cave sand. I can see it being a bit darker, and the left over part of the sand feels cool to the touch like you say. So I reckon the darker parts of the sand in my terrarium is the same consistency.

I mean no disrespect of course Smile but I do not agree on taking out the water dish, I have seen my late Androctonus Australis drink from it, so I know it has it purpose, even if she only drinks from it once a month.
The reason I say to put in 5 different hides is some my arizonensis preferred to start their burrows under hides and it's a good idea to give them multiple options and offer some humidity. But if you say you have some humidity at the bottom it might not be required. I still say you should remove the water bowl at least until she molts and hardens especially if that is mycosis on her leg. I can only give advice on what worked best for me. Your welcome to do as you please, no disrespect taken
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 7:29 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:
Shakudo wrote:
~Abyss~ wrote:

Abyss,

I guess I will find out.

The reason I say to put in 5 different hides is some my arizonensis preferred to start their burrows under hides and it's a good idea to give them multiple options and offer some humidity. But if you say you have some humidity at the bottom it might not be required. I still say you should remove the water bowl at least until she molts and hardens especially if that is mycosis on her leg. I can only give advice on what worked best for me. Your welcome to do as you please, no disrespect taken

Thanks for the advice!
I will monitor her daily and try to find out if that is a spot of mycosis , or a byproduct of the photo.

Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 7:31 pm

Honestly it doesn't really look like mycosis to me but I have horrible vision.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 7:33 pm

At the moment, she is digging and digging...
She started almost immediately, and I can hear her bulldoze it all out, I can peak through the moss on the side to check on her. Every once in a while I see her dumping the sand out...

From what I can see she is making a tunnel sort of thing:) Very curious to see how it will turn out. I expect a heap of sand in the morning Smile

Goodnight everybody, and for those friends in another timezone... have a good one;)

Joey
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 7:36 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:
Honestly it doesn't really look like mycosis to me but I have horrible vision.

I really can't say, from what I saw when I had her in front of me, I couldn't see anything. She was checked out by the store employee, before I made the purchase nor made an agreement of any kind, so I counted on his professional opinion.

I was in a hurry to get her in the tank because of the long drive and stress, and didn't check her underside, so can't say anything about the spot.

When she is having a stroll at some point I will try to make a photo Smile
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 7:57 pm

Quote :
so I counted on his professional opinion.
I don’t trust pet store workers, just for your information. I mean they did have a Desert Hairy on bark chips after all. I hope I’m not coming off as condescending, I’m merely trying to say that when your purchase a scorpion from a petshop YOU ARE THE EXPERT lol. But if it is mycosis (which H.arizonensis are prone too) then it’s probably not too bad at this point and you can stop it from spreading. Honestly I think you rescued this poor little guy. I want to get myself some H.arizonensis pallidus when I get some more room.

Back to top Go down
vespers
Centruroides
vespers

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/27/2013, 11:37 pm

I've never used a water bowl in any Hadrurus enclosure, and I've never had a problem. They really are perfectly adpated to life in the North American deserts. The waxy layer in the cuticle is very efficient at preventing dessication, so that that they can get all of their moisture needs from ingesting their prey. It probably wouldn't hurt to offer a bottle cap of water or a little water bowl once a month or something if someone was really worried about it, but I personally wouldn't ever leave a filled water dish in there at all times.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/28/2013, 6:19 am

~Abyss~ wrote:
Quote :
so I counted on his professional opinion.
I don’t trust pet store workers, just for your information. I mean they did have a Desert Hairy on bark chips after all. I hope I’m not coming off as condescending, I’m merely trying to say that when your purchase a scorpion from a petshop YOU ARE THE EXPERT lol. But if it is mycosis (which H.arizonensis are prone too) then it’s probably not too bad at this point and you can stop it from spreading. Honestly I think you rescued this poor little guy. I want to get myself some H.arizonensis pallidus when I get some more room.

I am truly very grateful to have found her, it is my birthday coming Monday and as gift to myself I started this project.
It's very hard to explain to someone who has nothing with this hobby what passion it evokes in my heart to pour creative and loving Energy into making something for a pet and then getting that pet to come Live in it.

I have had a very hard time in my private Life. She and my other animals are my strength and support for a very big part in my Life.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/28/2013, 6:29 am

vespers wrote:
I've never used a water bowl in any Hadrurus enclosure, and I've never had a problem. They really are perfectly adpated to life in the North American deserts. The waxy layer in the cuticle is very efficient at preventing dessication, so that that they can get all of their moisture needs from ingesting their prey. It probably wouldn't hurt to offer a bottle cap of water or a little water bowl once a month or something if someone was really worried about it, but I personally wouldn't ever leave a filled water dish in there at all times.

I understand where you are coming from.
But captive conditions aren't as demanding for those adaptations as they are in the wild, where seasons regulate everything. In captivity prey and moisture are readily available at all times.

It s very small and shallow little thing and I see no harm in letting it remain in there.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/28/2013, 8:31 am

I would not worry about the mycosis if she has it. I have seen countless scorpions in the wild which were infected with mycosis and all of them seemed to be thriving, even saw a few gravid female Parabuthus that were infected. As long as it is kept under control nothing should go wrong. My female P.planicauda that gave birth a few months ago is riddled with mycosis, that is the way she was in the wild when I caught her, and she gave me a brood of 42 slings so she seems to be healthy.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/28/2013, 9:38 am

I received my Haddy as an adult so I'll defer molting advise to Abyss and the few other members here that have had success with it.

I too would remove the water dish. If you keep it, use it sparingly--fill once a month and let evaporate. The only time I've seen my Haddy drink is when she emerges from her winter hibernation.

I'm surprised that your tank is dry enough for occupation after only 5 days, but if a molt is approaching, moisture at the bottom of the substrate may be a good thing.

Clearer photos can help with the mycosis question. I've heard from one dealer that 80% of the Desert Hairys he gets in have some form of mycosis.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty2/28/2013, 11:25 am

shebeen wrote:
I received my Haddy as an adult so I'll defer molting advise to Abyss and the few other members here that have had success with it.

I too would remove the water dish. If you keep it, use it sparingly--fill once a month and let evaporate. The only time I've seen my Haddy drink is when she emerges from her winter hibernation.

I'm surprised that your tank is dry enough for occupation after only 5 days, but if a molt is approaching, moisture at the bottom of the substrate may be a good thing.

Clearer photos can help with the mycosis question. I've heard from one dealer that 80% of the Desert Hairys he gets in have some form of mycosis.

It dries very quickly, on the package it says 20 hours. I say 48 and you get it like me, just a little cool to the touch but not wet.

The dealer was a bit vague about her origins, I suspect she might been wildcaught. But have no way of knowing.
She has now barred herself in her tunnel. Can't see her. I'm trying to hear if she is still digging.
But haven't heard or seen her since yesterday evening.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) Empty

Back to top Go down

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next