The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)

Go down 
+6
shebeen
Patcho
~Abyss~
vespers
shadowfoot
Shakudo
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
deserthairyscorpion1
Centruroides
deserthairyscorpion1

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-05-04

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty2/28/2013, 8:18 pm

I have recently purchased a H.arizonensis, and use a water bowl. It never really drinks, but I still have one, in case of a food shortage or something (kind of random).
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/1/2013, 10:52 am

Well at the moment I am letting her get settled in.
I observed that almost the whole day she is quiet.
But in the evening the digging begins.
Yesterday I checked to see If I already saw some movement, but the nice round access point is closed up. She doesn't come out of the tunnel and keeps digging in the evening. I keep checking if I still hear some digging.
I suspect she is already almost at the other side of the tank, because I can see tiny cracks in the sand pressed against the glass.

She is making a big system I believe. I am curious when she turns up:)
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/1/2013, 12:09 pm

You might want to cover the back and sides of your tank to encourage her to dig along the glass. Cardboard or anything that blocks light will do. Cut it to follow the contour of your substrate so that you can see what's going on above ground while giving your scorp privacy below ground.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/1/2013, 3:24 pm

shebeen wrote:
You might want to cover the back and sides of your tank to encourage her to dig along the glass. Cardboard or anything that blocks light will do. Cut it to follow the contour of your substrate so that you can see what's going on above ground while giving your scorp privacy below ground.

I really hope she will do that!
My Pandinus Cavimanus has done that without me encouraging and it looks a bit like an ant farm by now:)
Really love how I can see her.

If I am really honest Shebeen, I am also a bit worried...
I have never had a scorpion been out of sight longer than this. So I am a bit on my nerves:)
It took me a lot of trouble to even get her, and the bottom line is I am very scared to loose her.

I know that I am being irrational, I have yet to see or hear a reason why I should worry, and it is all normal scorp behavior.

Which I can understand, she has been on bark chips a while and couldn't dig, so she just lay there. So if I can place myself in the scorpions position, I would be very happy I could finally get away and get my dig on:)

I guess I am just very passionate about what I love.

Joey
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/1/2013, 9:17 pm

Nothing to worry about. She's just settling in.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/2/2013, 5:05 am

Yeah , heard her digging a little bit yesterday before I went to bed. Hope to see her again soon:)
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/2/2013, 7:25 pm

Just now I saw the side of the tank. A little window was made Smile

I could directly peer into the tunnel, and it was very impressive in shape and length !!!
She did this so fast!!!

I saw her just now alive and well, put my mind a bit at ease.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/2/2013, 9:02 pm

Oh thats good. cheers

You take great pride in your animals.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/3/2013, 9:26 pm

Patcho wrote:
Oh thats good. cheers

You take great pride in your animals.

For sure:)
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/3/2013, 9:28 pm

Wink The window got bigger;)
Could see her resting in a chamber:)

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Img_0011
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/3/2013, 9:36 pm

^

That's cool.

I put a large piece of Mopani wood in my tank, and added another scorpion in premolt in my tank recently. I also took one of the hides out. I'm hoping they'll all work together and make a sick burrow under one of the hides I have near the glass.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/4/2013, 2:29 pm

Patcho wrote:
I put a large piece of Mopani wood in my tank, and added another scorpion in premolt in my tank recently. I also took one of the hides out. I'm hoping they'll all work together and make a sick burrow under one of the hides I have near the glass.

I hope these are not H. arizonensis. If they are, you're likely to wind up with just one.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/5/2013, 5:33 pm

shebeen wrote:
Patcho wrote:

I hope these are not H. arizonensis. If they are, you're likely to wind up with just one.

No I believe he has Emps... right Patcho?
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Mycosis   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/5/2013, 5:55 pm

Ok.... Well

Update:
I have confirmed mycosis scars on Jabba

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 69260_515833858456024_2131514959_n

I was very sad when I saw this.
But I can only try and stop it from getting worse.
I have searched and searched on the web, but there is no known treatment for mycosis with scorpions, and the only thing I could find was a reference to treatment was based on human medication. And I really don't know if I should try that.

I have checked to see and she has full use of all her limbs, couldn't find more spots than on her trochanter right front walking leg and at the beginning of the metasoma.
So I want to keep thinking positive Smile I think she is still a sub adult, so I hope... when she eventually hopefully molts...... the damage will be less or healed perhaps.

Cool digging pic:
Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 486839_515833851789358_1186147383_n

Short vid of her digging, she let me film it for a short while, but then I got the impression she was done with all the light, so I stopped:)

Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/5/2013, 6:20 pm

Well I posted my recommendation on Facebook but to educate others I'll relay it here too. My recommendation is to completely remove the water dish. Even a small amount of water will evaporate and make it’s way into the air. I understand you commented that you think it does some good since you have witness other desert species drinking. And I wont deny that they will sometimes drink but they do not need any other outside source of water other than there pray. Now that you have confirmed mycosis I really hope you take my advice as I have kept this species and it’s actually local to CA and really I’m just trying to help.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
vespers
Centruroides
vespers

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/5/2013, 7:32 pm

I thought that was mycosis. Sorry it was confirmed, though. The best you can do is just keep it as dry as possible to prevent it from spreading. I would definitely pull the water dish out. Not only can it raise the RH through evaporation, but in the middle of the night when scorpions scurry about they may even crawl across the dish and literally get themselves wet.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/5/2013, 8:05 pm

Shakudo wrote:
shebeen wrote:
Patcho wrote:

Affirmative!

Also, it pains me to see those mycosis scars on your beloved Jabba. Especially since you worked so hard on the enclosure and even trying to obtain her.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/5/2013, 8:24 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:
Well I posted my recommendation on Facebook but to educate others I'll relay it here too. My recommendation is to completely remove the water dish. Even a small amount of water will evaporate and make it’s way into the air. I understand you commented that you think it does some good since you have witness other desert species drinking. And I wont deny that they will sometimes drink but they do not need any other outside source of water other than there pray. Now that you have confirmed mycosis I really hope you take my advice as I have kept this species and it’s actually local to CA and really I’m just trying to help.

I know Edward and I appreciate that very much.
I will take action regarding the water dish.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/5/2013, 8:25 pm

vespers wrote:
I thought that was mycosis. Sorry it was confirmed, though. The best you can do is just keep it as dry as possible to prevent it from spreading. I would definitely pull the water dish out. Not only can it raise the RH through evaporation, but in the middle of the night when scorpions scurry about they may even crawl across the dish and literally get themselves wet.

Yeah well, better to know and understand, it's part of her story:)
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/5/2013, 8:28 pm

Patcho wrote:
Shakudo wrote:
shebeen wrote:
Patcho wrote:

Affirmative!

Also, it pains me to see those mycosis scars on your beloved Jabba. Especially since you worked so hard on the enclosure and even trying to obtain her.

Thanks man, much appriciated Smile
Yes I am sad about it. But as long as it doesn't spread to her book lungs it doesn't have to be fatal.
And I will do my best for her.
Also the store I got her from, will get a phone call.
A very serious one.

Wink

Take care,

Joey
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/5/2013, 8:36 pm

Quote :
Also the store I got her from, will get a phone call.
A very serious one.

Good lad.
Back to top Go down
Mako
Centruroides
Mako

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/6/2013, 3:27 pm

What a beautiful scorpion. It's nice to see a collector so happy.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/6/2013, 3:43 pm

Shakudo wrote:
~Abyss~ wrote:

Thank you sir, I hope I’m not coming off as a jerk it’s not my intention. It’s just I know how difficult it is to get this species for you and I wouldn’t want you losing her. Mycosis or no mycosis arizonensis are awesome species the pallidus sub-species is in my top 7 list.

PS: Call me Eddy; Edward is what my wife calls me when she’s mad at me. LOL.
PPS: I’m of Mexican decent but I despise when people call me Eduardo….so Ed, Eddy and Edward are acceptable. Razz
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
vespers
Centruroides
vespers

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/6/2013, 3:51 pm

I echo Eddy's sentiments...I wasn't trying to be a jerk about the water dish either. Just trying to help. I'm sure your haddy had quite the journey to make it to your country, and the mycosis may have been caused by the less-than-ideal conditions she may have had to endure during that journey.
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty3/7/2013, 8:05 am

~Abyss~ wrote:
Shakudo wrote:
~Abyss~ wrote:

Thank you sir, I hope I’m not coming off as a jerk it’s not my intention. It’s just I know how difficult it is to get this species for you and I wouldn’t want you losing her. Mycosis or no mycosis arizonensis are awesome species the pallidus sub-species is in my top 7 list.

PS: Call me Eddy; Edward is what my wife calls me when she’s mad at me. LOL.
PPS: I’m of Mexican decent but I despise when people call me Eduardo….so Ed, Eddy and Edward are acceptable. Razz

Eddy, Amigo,

I know, and of course I know you are just trying to help, you are much appreciated. I don't think you are a jerk at all cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)   Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Welcome home Jabba the Scorp (H. Arizonensis)
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next