The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Jade gave birth!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Penny
Centruroides

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2010-11-25

Jade gave birth! Empty
PostSubject: Jade gave birth!   Jade gave birth! Empty5/16/2011, 8:23 pm

This morning I woke up after about four hours of sleep, and for some reason I was so dreadfully worried about my scorpion that I couldn't return to my slumber. So I got up and ran over to her tank. And holy crap, there was already a little, white, chubby scorpion baby on her back! And any more under her... At first I wondered if I was still dreaming or hallucinating or something, but it was truly amazing to see this in person. I knew baby scorpions were cute from seeing pictures, but in person it's an adorable phenomenon.

I already got little cups with lids for when I need to separate them. And plenty of crickets (going to keep about three in there at a time). But when is the best time to separate them?

Jade gave birth! Img0813hn
Jade gave birth! Img0821fl

For some reason she chose to have them by her water but it's super shallow right now and no one's drowning.
But yay, she's a mom! I'm so happy for her.. you can really tell her babies are important to her and her maternal instincts are kicking in. =) Hell, even mine are... I couldn't sleep or eat! Lol. I'm calming down now that everything appears to be going alright.
I have videos too which I probably won't be sharing till I have my computer hooked up (long story.. I recently moved).
Back to top Go down
arachnophile223
Pandinus
arachnophile223

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Jade gave birth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jade gave birth!   Jade gave birth! Empty5/16/2011, 9:18 pm

awesome!! Very Happy i'm still waiting on my mine to breed! {D
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

Jade gave birth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jade gave birth!   Jade gave birth! Empty5/16/2011, 9:47 pm

I'm thinking that she chose this precarious spot for it's additional humidity. Not to tell you your business, but your substrate looks rather dry...
Back to top Go down
Penny
Centruroides

Jade gave birth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jade gave birth!   Jade gave birth! Empty5/17/2011, 1:44 am

Streettrash wrote:
I'm thinking that she chose this precarious spot for it's additional humidity. Not to tell you your business, but your substrate looks rather dry...
True. The stuff in there isn't cocoa fiber and it doesnt retain humidity well; they didn't even have cocoa fiber in Florida so I just got the best thing I could and tried to pour water in daily.
They do sell cocoa fiber here though. Which would be like a miracle to me because it's a pain pouring water in there so often and still having it be dry. >.<
But wtf we have more important things to talk abot; BABIES. They're delicious.. and hopefully they won't be eaten.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Jade gave birth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jade gave birth!   Jade gave birth! Empty5/17/2011, 10:54 am

I'm also worried about the lack of humidity . . . and I can't see any hiding spaces in those pictures.

From what I've read, moms are more likely to munch their babies if they don't feel they'd survive rather than waste the protein. So, if mom feels it's not humid enough for baby scorps . . . you can see where I'm going with this.

I'd suggest putting a damp towel over your tank to help hold in any humidity it can. If the young survive to 2I and wander off mom's back, definitely get some coco fiber to put them on (and mom as well).
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

Jade gave birth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jade gave birth!   Jade gave birth! Empty5/17/2011, 11:48 am

lol i love i2 boogers.. they rock and they run after food instead of falling asleep pinching it to death.

When they leave the mom, you could separate them and begin feeding them pinheads
Quite a job, nice reward when you get them big though.

As said before, you might want to give her a shelter (like half of a flowerpot and bury it in the peat or coco fibre untill only a slight cranny is visible. Is it written like that?) so she can hide.

Make everything wet and heat it up :-)

Guaranteed succes Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
Penny
Centruroides

Jade gave birth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jade gave birth!   Jade gave birth! Empty5/17/2011, 4:02 pm

Um she has a hiding place, in fact she is in there now that she's done giving birth and gathering her young... I appreciate the advice but it's a bit much sometimes. I do pour water in there constantly. I'll try the damp towel thing

Also, some of them didn't make it onto her back and I found them this morning, with Jade on the opposite end of the tank. So I went ahead and put them in a little cup with a lid. Will they be alright in there away from there mother?
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Jade gave birth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jade gave birth!   Jade gave birth! Empty5/17/2011, 4:14 pm

I think so yes, keep them moist.. like you do, not too far away from a heatsource.. maybe give them a cork or something to crawl upon so they shed, thinking it is their mom on which they do their thing.

I didnt see a hiding place, my bad. Getting an appropriate dirt based soil wouldnt be a bad idea though..
Back to top Go down
Penny
Centruroides

Jade gave birth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jade gave birth!   Jade gave birth! Empty5/17/2011, 4:58 pm

alright thanks. i put i bottle cap in the cup with them; no cork.
is it normal for them to fet placenta or whatever this goo is stuck to them? i've carefully picked it off a few because it's hindering their movment and making it hard so them to get on the bus (the bus being their mother)

Gah I just poured nearly a liter of water in there and it's already dry. I'm literally standing here making it rain.. and i used the damp towel thing too but it doesnt seem to be helping. I might try and change the substrate now since they actually sell cocoa fiber here but I don't want to stress Jade out... I feel it would be better to wait.
I literally just moved across the country and i dont even have an apartment yet. I'm bumming off my mother in law. I thought it was going to be a few months before Jade gave birth.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Jade gave birth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jade gave birth!   Jade gave birth! Empty5/17/2011, 5:18 pm

hehe no worries. You are right to not stress the animal now. Do it after the little ones get off her back. Should be fine.
Good luck :-)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jade gave birth! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jade gave birth!   Jade gave birth! Empty

Back to top Go down

Jade gave birth!
Page 1 of 1