The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.

Go down 
+9
pluto
Chrome
Jay
*~BEX~*
spinnin_tom
Peloquin
Bedlam
Streettrash
Callum B
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty5/19/2011, 4:45 am

good luck mate!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/7/2012, 6:15 am

Finally after months and months of the project lying dormant it's back underway. Isn't time and money brilliant lol!!

These pics are from the beginning of last week. I have finished fitting the insulation board and have begun cladding it with correx board. I didn't want to faff around with plywood so used this stuff instead, as you can cut it with a knife and it's plastic so you can just wipe it clean.

Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 DSCN0747

Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 DSCN0746

Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 DSCN0745

Since the pictures were taken I have finished fitting the correx board and added a second layer of insulation to the roof. I also thought it was a good idea to stick a screw through a live wire. Thank god for rubber handled screwdrivers lol!!

Hopefully I will be fitting the flooring this week and then I can start looking at some kind of shelving!!

I'll keep updating on how I'm getting on Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tfleming
Tityus
tfleming

Number of posts : 589
Registration date : 2011-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/7/2012, 10:25 am

Lookin' good!
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/7/2012, 10:35 am

tfleming wrote:
Lookin' good!

+1

Callum, how are you planning to set the tanks? Along the walls?
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/7/2012, 2:06 pm

Insulation all covered up with correx now. Flooring and insulating the door and windows next.

Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 DSCN0757

Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 DSCN0756

Dolby, yes the tanks will go along the walls. I am to lazy to build my own so I think I'm just going to buy some flat pack shelving. Ikea do some shelving that is nearly as long as the back wall of the shed. You can also move the individual shelves to the height you want them, and you can buy extras if you need to.

I'm going to go and have a look at them at some point to see if they look strong enough. Sometimes Ikea stuff is great but you can also get some really cheap, low quality crap. Hopefully they'll be ok though, as everything else I have found has been ridiculously expensive.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 12:43 am

Its great to see things working out bits by bits Callum.
Can't wait to see your nicely arranged shelves of inverts Smile
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 3:30 am

You can get some shelving rails that just bolt on to the walls and are adjustable. Those are great and pretty strong.

Like this:
Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 3f27-large
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 4:17 am

Btw. what is correx? Is it Plasterboard/drywall?
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 10:35 am

Awesome! Keep cracking on mate and keep us updated!
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 11:20 am

Cheers guys Smile

DolbyR wrote:
Btw. what is correx? Is it Plasterboard/drywall?

No, I'm not skilled enough to be messing around plastering the walls. Although it would have looked nice.

Correx is corrugated plastic. It has the same design as corrugated cardboard. They use thicker stuff alot for for sale signs over here.

Unfortunately the walls aren't strong enough to support shelves like that. So I'm having to use something that is freestanding. They would have been perfect though!
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 11:26 am

I get it! Smile
It nice, as it acts to some degree as an insulation aswell.

My plan is to get something like these:

Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 27

They're generally very expensive but you can often find them second hand for very cheap (from bankrupted grocery stores etc).
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 11:29 am

You'll have room for plenty of scorps in that shed mate..Wink

Is that double glazing you've got there or single pane?...If it was single pane you could make some frames that fitted in the window recess covered with clear plastic, to give you some insulation there as well...and maybe a cheap and cheerful extractor fan fitted through the wall so you could keep the plastic window frames up and still vent out.

Are those Correx boards screwed through your insulation or is there some stud work behind the boards that's not shown on the pics? .. If there's no stud work then you'd be doing yourself a bit of a disservice there mate..and especially when it looks like you've gone to the bother of correctly taping the joins...That vinyl layer covering your insulation acts as a damp membrane....by fixing your Correx boards with so many screws you'd be effectively rendering your damp membrane useless..

And as if i haven't given enough unsolicited advice already....What about under the floorboards...is there insulation there?..a good thick rug would help if there wasn't.

Otherwise good going mate....It's great having your own scorp space...It wasn't until i promised my wife i'd sell my electric guitar that she finally conceded to letting me have her "arts and crafts" room as my own scorp room.......and i've still got the guitar, i mean, i aint gonna give it away!..lol

Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 11:41 am

Den, don't tell me that when it's all up haha. I was assured by someone that what I was doing was fine. I even thought, should I be sticking a load of screws through the insultation?

How will it effect it??

Yer, the glass is single pain so I am going to get some clear acrylic sheets and fit them over the windows. I have not decided on how I am going to ventilate it yet. Whether to have a clear panel I can lift off over the window when I need to open or to fit a fan etc.

What would you do??

The flooring is my next step. My plan is to get some underlay, then correx board on top and then lino on top of that. Or just carpet it. Not sure yet.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 11:43 am

Callum B wrote:
Den, don't tell me that when it's all up haha. I was assured by someone that what I was doing was fine. I even thought, should I be sticking a load of screws through the insultation?

How will it effect it??

Yer, the glass is single pain so I am going to get some clear acrylic sheets and fit them over the windows. I have not decided on how I am going to ventilate it yet. Whether to have a clear panel I can lift off over the window when I need to open or to fit a fan etc.

What would you do??

The flooring is my next step. My plan is to get some underlay, then correx board on top and then lino on top of that. Or just carpet it. Not sure yet.

Why not just the cheapest possible laminate flooring? Damn easy to lay and it's strong enough.

Btw. would be nice if you could fix the links to the first pics of the thread Smile
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 12:14 pm

Quote :
How will it effect it??

The reason you have a damp membrane between your boards and insulation is twofold..Firstly it stops damp or moisture from moving from your room into the insulation material hence diminishing it's insulating properties (all materials insulate simply by trapping air because basically, still air is one of the best insulators around...just think of double glazing..3 or 5 millimetres of still air between the panes is what does the magic)..so, insulation material that has moisture in it instead of air is a bad insulator.
Secondly it stops damp from outside getting into your room ... which, with the warmer environment inside could quickly rot up your boarding...you'd see it as a blue/black fungus around the screw holes of your boards as well as typically at the bottom and edges of the boards...

However.........that problem can easily be avoided by ensuring a good airing out every now and again.....Opening a door and window is ok (you need flow through to air out...just opening a window on one side of a small shed wouldn't really air out that much) but your indoor temps in a small room would fall quickly which your scorps probably wouldn't be to keen on...A small extractor fan (brought from any DIY store for less than a tenner) can be used to air out over a long period without affecting the ambient temperature in your scorp shed..Wink...just cut a hole with a jigsaw (inside and outside) at the same diameter as your extractor tube....seal the hole after you've fitted the extractor with a squirt of sealant and bobs your uncle, you're fit to go....

If you didn't fancy doing that then you could pre-bore your Correx boards...place them where you want them to be and then squirt a good portion of sealant down in each hole before you screw it in...The screw thread will catch the sealant and pull it into the insulation thereby sealing the hole and minimizing the hole in the damp membrane..

And finally mate.......if those boards were mounted on stud work you could screw shelves into the underlying stud work as well.....and they'd be strong enough to hold most anything you'd want them to hold..

It's not all doom and gloom though Callum..... your floor plan sounds fine..Wink

Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 12:25 pm

So providing I ventilate the shed well, the celotex insulation shouldn't suffer to much from moisture?

If there is already a load of holes, not just made by me, the careless courier also put lots of dings in it, is there any point in changing how the board is attached to the wall?

I am no builder and want to do this as basically as possible. The freestanding shelving should do the job. If I had more time/ experience I would have done things differently.

I wish I'd resurrected this a bit earlier, could of picked up some useful tips Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 1:02 pm

Quote :
So providing I ventilate the shed well, the celotex insulation shouldn't suffer to much from moisture?

Yeps.Wink

Quote :
is there any point in changing how the board is attached to the wall?

Your pics look as if you're already well under way and fitting in stud work now would also mean you'd have to redo your insulation, so if i was you i'd go for the "good airing out" patch...and do yourself a favour and get an extractor..it'll save you the hassle of remembering to air out (the extractor can go on a timer) and it'll leave your shed temps as they are as it does it..

Quote :
basically as possible

My brother has this motto hanging in his tattoo studio .. "A good tattoo aint cheap and a cheap tattoo aint good!)..The same thing kinda applies here as well mate....Basic is ok...but you don't want it being so basic that it aint no good...Wink

Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 1:14 pm

Shocked So your saying it is no good, well ................ lol.

By basic, I mean I wanted a shed that would hold some warmth but not be a full builders job. I enjoy doing stuff like this but I have neither the skills nor money to be fitting it out as a mini-house in the back garden lol. I wish I could though.

Extractor fan and flooring next.
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 1:53 pm

Quote :
So your saying it is no good, well ................ lol.

Absolutely not Callum......I'm not saying that at all.....I was just giving you a few pointers mate..Wink

Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty2/8/2012, 1:56 pm

I know lol. I'm very greatful cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.   Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Resurrected: Whooop! It's finally started (again). My 'Scorpion Shed' project.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2