The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!

Go down 
+4
Kejser
spinnin_tom
DolbyR
Joe
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty
PostSubject: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/21/2011, 10:07 am

Hi again peeps, it's been a while!
I've located some teeny Euscorpion sp, I'm getting 3 and I just need some tips on how to set-up there tub, what size should I get?, do they need extra heat, what I should feed them, stuff like that as I can't find much online as I can't find a common name and all I have to go on them by is ''Euscorpion sp'' so any help is much appreciated!!
Joe
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/21/2011, 10:21 am

Do you atleast know from where the euscorpiu come from? There's quite a few species and the Id amongst them is not an easy task.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/21/2011, 10:56 am

I can try and find out !
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

Number of posts : 915
Registration date : 2011-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/21/2011, 12:23 pm

i guess you mean Euscorpius ?

most Euscorpius will not need extra heat.
the species here is very important, some species may be communal, others not so much.
my E. flavicaudis are happy living in cricket tubs, with coir (most people mix this with clay) and other decor like small rocks for them to hide in.

i feed mine a dead cricket each, a week. they don't need a lot and if anything i feed them a bit too often since they have slow metablolic rates.

Back to top Go down
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/21/2011, 6:17 pm

Thanks Tom! I'm still kinda nooby when it comes to scorps, all I know is there teeny small and they are definitely communal, the guy selling them is well respected and stuff but I'm getting them through a friend so I've had no contact with the bloke selling them. I'll take your advice and see how it goes!!
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/21/2011, 6:22 pm

right cool
get some pics on so the guys (especially bex, whose not a guy lol) can have a go at id ing your Euscorpius' Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/21/2011, 6:44 pm

I'll steal some off his thread!!Razz brb in 5
Back to top Go down
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/21/2011, 6:51 pm

Quote :
Euscorpion sp. Tiny and communal.
20 x adults, unsexed.
Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! May2011027
That's taken from the forum where they are for sale, that's all that's said about them....Hope these guys are easy to I.D!! Smile
They are the cutest Cool Or maybe it's just me:P
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/22/2011, 5:00 am

Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! DSC_0465

they aren't flavicaudis.
maybe E. italicus :L
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/22/2011, 9:27 am

Only true way of IDing Euscorpius is looking at the chela under a microscope.. but with a location provided, we can give a pretty good guess.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/22/2011, 9:34 am

Thanks Tom, and thanks for the reply Kesjer, I've PM'ed him so I'll post back here when I know:)
Back to top Go down
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/24/2011, 10:24 pm

PM'ed him, he said they're 100% flavicaudis Smile
So, basic care, are they handleable, dangerous if they sting? what should a set-up consist of? Stuff like that will help me loads!!!
Also two burning Q's I have!
What size set-up, someone said a cricket tub would house a smaller one nicely, as I haven't seen these in person yet I can't know for sure, would a 5litre long from B&Q Hold 3 ok?
And are they communal, I've read they aren't yet the seller says they are and the guy who's bought them for me and holding them until I collect said they seem to be grand! Soo....
Sorry for all the Q's I'm totally new to scorpions ! Smile
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/25/2011, 5:50 am

Euscorpius have a pathetic sting, i've never seen mine use it. they have huge chelae for the killing Very Happy they are communal, but if you have smaller specemins with adults, the adults will eat them. i'd say keep them at about 23C since they are not as well adapted, as the UK native flavicaudis.

you can hold them, they seem a very relaxed species.
i keep mine in cricket tubs, singly, so anything which will give them room to get away from each other would be perfect.. just provide a tonne of hides for them Very Happy

basic set up really. sand/clay/coco fibre substrate, plenty of rockwork for they to hide in and around, plus whatever looks nice
Back to top Go down
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/25/2011, 6:21 am

Brilliant Tom, thank you for the info !! Smile
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/25/2011, 6:37 am

no problem joe Very Happy
it's addictive mind, next year you'll have tonnes of scorps
Back to top Go down
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/25/2011, 9:25 am

If it's as bad as snakes/T's I'm screwed Razz
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/25/2011, 9:27 am

Joe wrote:

You're screwed lol!

It's worse Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/25/2011, 9:32 am

DolbyR wrote:
Joe wrote:
You're screwed lol!
It's worse Very Happy

Short and sweet answer but it's 100% accurate!
Nice 1 lol!
Back to top Go down
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/25/2011, 1:20 pm

lol! I suppose I should kiss goodbye to my hopeful thoughts of saving up for Hamm next year too then? lol!
I'm a really bad impulse buyer Sad
Back to top Go down
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/31/2011, 1:23 pm

Coming sometime next week Smile So excited as I've been told they're roughly the same size as a size 5 cricket:P
Will post pics when I can!
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/31/2011, 1:32 pm

Nice. They are cute little devils.
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty7/31/2011, 2:54 pm

^this!!
Back to top Go down
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty8/6/2011, 10:33 am

Cute they are!!! And sooooo small!!!
I got them today if ya haven't noticed, set them up in a little thing with some stuff in lol
I'm tired but I'll have pictures and stuff later so ye can assess for me if I've got it right or not !!
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty8/6/2011, 11:36 am

hey sorry ive not been on in a while so totally missed this thread Sad

congrats on your purchase Smile deffo some special scorps you have got they are one of my favourites we went and got ours ourselves from the uk colony where did you get yours do you have a link to the post?

one thing i would advise is to keep them on more of a sand mix than coco fiber if they are from the uk that is also be careful as soon as you see one is gravid remove it our gravid female ate a couple of ours (we think anyway) either that or they died of old age then got eaten lol.

i have to agree with everyone else this hobby is adictive and you have deffo started off with a good scorp these are the most active scorpions out of our entire collection of over 40 lol Smile

get those pics up asap lol Smile

ill stick a few pics of ours in for you Smile

Pics of ours:

Back to top Go down
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty8/6/2011, 11:54 am

Thank you!! Smile I got them from a guy very near to me in Ireland, he's foreign so I'm 90% sure that his are from somewhere in Europe and not the UK!
Currently I have mine on soil I got from the pet shop, it was meant for spiders but I got them in petri dishes with a thin layer of substrate so I had to put them in something bigger and that's all I have!

I have 3 of and I've put them together and I threw some size 3 crickets in as well (jumpy little feckers!Razz) but I just put in an order for 1,000 Turkistan roach nymphs so I'm hoping they're small enough for these guys Smile

I'm not sure of the sex of any of them but it's highly unlikely I can have only 3 males or only 3 females, I'm hoping it's a good mix so I can have some babies!!! How would I tell if a female is pregnant? Will she just get much bigger? They're all around the same age/size and are apparently fully grown too which is cool!
Pictures as soon as my camera comes back !!!
And yours are so cute, especially those little babies!!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!   Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though! Empty

Back to top Go down

Finally getting a scorpion, could use some help though!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next