The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

coco fiber as substrate

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jcopela3
Hadogenes
jcopela3

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-01-22

coco fiber as substrate Empty
PostSubject: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/2/2010, 10:01 pm

is dried coco fiber a good substrate for a hadrurus spadix? also my spadix is roaming around its tank but really isnt digging any burrows...i just got him four days ago and im sure its just the new home exploration right?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/3/2010, 12:14 am

It's not the best, 'cause it doesn't hold up burrows very well, but it works.

They'll try to burrow despite this, so yeah, it's probably still settling in.
Back to top Go down
jcopela3
Hadogenes
jcopela3

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/3/2010, 12:16 am

do desert hairy's typically have more energy and eat more than say emps?
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/3/2010, 2:18 am

Not sure about eating more, but they are certainly much more active.
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/3/2010, 3:59 am

if you can mix it 50/50 with sand, you should have a great sub. If you can moisten it, smush it, then let it dry, you will have a nice hard pack for them to burrow in. They are kick metasoma scorpions. Enjoy it!
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/4/2010, 1:20 am

If you do as they say and mix it with some sand and some coco fibers, try just pouring like half of a 2 liter bottle of water into it and mix it in. that way its moist and keeps the humidity up.
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/4/2010, 1:35 am

anemiaffx wrote:
If you do as they say and mix it with some sand and some coco fibers, try just pouring like half of a 2 liter bottle of water into it and mix it in. that way its moist and keeps the humidity up.

erm, Not for H. Spadix my friend. They like it super dry. Mycosis is always a worry in this genus! No two liter bottles of
water! Smile

Peat is already dry if that is what you have. If you have coco loose, then that is ready. If you have coco brick, wet and loosen it, then spread it out thinly to dry overnight. Bake Sand 400* 30 mins if preheated. 60 mins if not preheated.
Don't forget to stir once or twice. When cool to touch, mix with now dry coco. This mix gives a fairly common replication of some habitats. However, remember, mycosis is the enemy. Coco and Peat can hold water a long time. You don't want to mist coco or peat very much, or it will be too humid. I would only do it once a month in spring and fall. None the rest of the year. Provide water dish imo. Smile r
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/4/2010, 1:40 am

If you pour water on the mixture and pack it down, THEN let it dry out, THEN introduce the scorpion -- water-soluble minerals dissolve and recrystallize and as such help hold the substrate together better, thus supporting burrows better.

The key step is letting it dry out for Hadrurus. Razz
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/4/2010, 2:35 am

anemiaffx wrote:
try just pouring like half of a 2 liter bottle of water into it and mix it in. that way its moist and keeps the humidity up.

This species and genus for that matter, need very little humidity.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/4/2010, 3:57 am

oh my bad i was just replying to something he was asking at the very top. make it a bit more stable for digging of the holes as he was asking for.
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/4/2010, 1:02 pm

anemiaffx wrote:
oh my bad i was just replying to something he was asking at the very top. make it a bit more stable for digging of the holes as he was asking for.

Oh, I see. As the admin also posted, you can wet the whole shebang up, Push it down hard with your hands, then Let that Dry THOROUGHLY. It's deceiving so be careful. It will take days to dry like that. It's a great idea, if you are willing to let it dry all the way. Some people have issues doing this though. Especially if there is clay in the mix too I think. I've heard of sub packs becoming bricks that couldn't even get taken out of the aquarium! have fun.
Back to top Go down
jcopela3
Hadogenes
jcopela3

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/4/2010, 11:26 pm

thanks for all the suggestions...now i understand that mycosis as well as a lot of things can kill a spadix but i was told from the breeder that they are as hardy as they come...In addition how often do u feed a spadix?
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/4/2010, 11:48 pm

jcopela3 wrote:
thanks for all the suggestions...now i understand that mycosis as well as a lot of things can kill a spadix but i was told from the breeder that they are as hardy as they come...In addition how often do u feed a spadix?

Depends on how big your feeders are, what instar or if it's an adult, your temps, it's mood, etc.

I generally feed instars every 2 or 3 days. Adults usually once a week. But it's relative. Use your judgement. You don't want them skinny, instars are growing. Adult females could be gravid and getting big needing extra food too.
But, in the wild, they don't always have food falling from the sky. So don't be surprised if it stops eating for a while, or doesn't eat until it looks like a sausage. They are much skinnier in nature than in captivity usually. I try to find a middle road. Where they are fed regularly and can grow to their potential, without them becoming too big and unhealthy. But some people just feed them all they will eat and that works for them. There is no rule book for this one. Smile
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/5/2010, 3:18 am

^ Well said Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty2/6/2010, 2:12 am

Hadrurus are pretty hardy; just keep it dry and on the warm side.

Nomadinexile wrote:
Especially if there is clay in the mix too I think. I've heard of sub packs becoming bricks that couldn't even get taken out of the aquarium!

If you add clay, bring it up to about 30%. It supports burrows wonderfully but is still soft enough for the scorpion to dig or for you to clean out the tank later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: coco fiber as substrate   coco fiber as substrate Empty

Back to top Go down

coco fiber as substrate
Page 1 of 1