The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

HELP!!!! My Emp Gave Birth!

Go down 
+3
Mr. Mordax
_scorpio_
Marco
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Marco
Pandinus
Marco

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-21

HELP!!!!  My Emp Gave Birth! Empty
PostSubject: HELP!!!! My Emp Gave Birth!   HELP!!!!  My Emp Gave Birth! Empty4/21/2009, 3:37 pm

I had no idea that my emp was pregnant, let alone, that he was in fact a female!! She gave birth yesterday and I haven't the slightest clue on what to do and not to do. I'm looking online for help and advice and have gotten few ideas but nothing on how to care for them and what to do and not do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! My Emp Gave Birth!   HELP!!!!  My Emp Gave Birth! Empty4/21/2009, 4:03 pm

search the forum.. there are hundreds of threads about it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! My Emp Gave Birth!   HELP!!!!  My Emp Gave Birth! Empty4/21/2009, 5:37 pm

Come now, Jordan! That's why people don't like some other forums, because the only answer to their question is "search." This forum's search is a little more picky than some others.

Marco, what's your setup like?

Assuming you have a proper emp enclosure (warm, humid, lots of soil-like substrate for burrowing, hides offered), just ignore everything for a week or two. All you need to do is make sure that the humidity stays high.

The babies won't eat until after they molt for the first time, and even then they need a few days to harden up before they can eat. Wait at LEAST one week for them to molt; sometimes it takes longer. They should be less "fat" afterwords and you may see their first exoskeletons around the tank / on mom (looking like dried eggwhite).

If you're not sure if they've hardened enough to eat, shine a blacklight on them -- if they glow, they can eat.

Offer disabled crickets or roaches at this point (headcrushed). The prey will twitch about enough to stimulate hunting behavior but won't pose a threat.

It's up to you whether to keep them with mom, separate them from her in a group, or house them individually (or in smallish groups). Cannibalism isn't terribly common in emps, but it CAN happen, so be prepared to lose 10 to 20 percent of your brood if you keep them together. (Usually it's the "weaker" ones that get eaten, so you may be strengthening the captive gene pool by letting it occur.)

If / when you separate the young, just give them the same sort of habitat you gave mom, but on a smaller scale.

Best of luck!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! My Emp Gave Birth!   HELP!!!!  My Emp Gave Birth! Empty4/22/2009, 3:22 am

Mike has said it all! If you have the set up already correct then leave it as that, leave her alone for a week. I know its exciting but try not to look. Maybe over the first half of the tank cover with a towel and only every other day open the tank to pour in some more water onto the substrate to keep it all nice and humid for mum and the babies.

When they come off her back and it could be a week or even longer you then can decide if you want to take them away from mum of leave them in with her.

I had 19 in a brood that I took from mum and into their own tank together. Some were eaten and some died through moulting and some just randomly died...like an illness and I have 3 left at 4 instar (they should be adults by now!)

I have had a het mum birth and all the way to 3rd instar I kept them with her and would still now today but she died suddenly.

The choice is yours, keep them in with mum, take them out and all together or one in a container each

You dont need to feed mum. Some do and she feeds, some dont and she is fine or some feed and she just kills the item and discards it.

Mine did the kill and destroy and didnt feed.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! My Emp Gave Birth!   HELP!!!!  My Emp Gave Birth! Empty4/22/2009, 2:17 pm

Congrats on the brood. it's awesome watching them grow up.
Back to top Go down
Absolution246
Centruroides
Absolution246

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! My Emp Gave Birth!   HELP!!!!  My Emp Gave Birth! Empty4/22/2009, 2:34 pm

I agree my babies are just starting to molt to 3I.I just got their tank setup to move them away from mom sometime...I still dont know if Im ganna take them after they are all done molting to 3I or wait till 4I

I used hydroballs from eco earth to make up the false bottom....I like them very much.I did a little video while I was making the tank Im ganna put on yourube if anyone wants to see the stuff.

one 2.5 lb. bag was enough for my 10 gallon tank.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/Absolution246
Marco
Pandinus
Marco

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! My Emp Gave Birth!   HELP!!!!  My Emp Gave Birth! Empty4/23/2009, 12:43 pm

Wow. Thanks for all the help everyone. I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted. wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! My Emp Gave Birth!   HELP!!!!  My Emp Gave Birth! Empty4/23/2009, 3:15 pm

Good luck! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP!!!! My Emp Gave Birth!   HELP!!!!  My Emp Gave Birth! Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP!!!! My Emp Gave Birth!
Page 1 of 1