The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Blocking burrow up

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
utopianshadow19
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-08-13

Blocking burrow up Empty
PostSubject: Blocking burrow up   Blocking burrow up Empty9/4/2012, 3:34 pm

I've noticed that my emp keeps blocking up his burrow, i have read that this is a sign o molting but he does not show any other signs of going into a molt. He is not bloated but he refuses food. i thought it was just him being fussy because he usually is. Anyway, is it normal for emps to block up burrows when they have no other entrance/exit.

Thanks everyone! Smile
Back to top Go down
Scorpion975
Pandinus
Scorpion975

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-08-10

Blocking burrow up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blocking burrow up   Blocking burrow up Empty9/11/2012, 2:16 pm

Mine does it all the time. It's gotten to the point now where when it's feeding time I have to use the tongs (NOT my hand) to scrape away a little of the substrate so I can then coax the cricket into the hide.

I don't use my hand because of the risk of being stung as I cannot really see what the scorpion is doing in there. It's too deep and dark.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Blocking burrow up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blocking burrow up   Blocking burrow up Empty9/12/2012, 6:40 am

utopianshadow19 wrote:
is it normal for emps to block up burrows when they have no other entrance/exit.
Thanks everyone! Smile

Yes, it is normal. Some will do that.

In a way, it gives them the sense of security they need. This action of "sealing off their burrow" is not necessarily a sign of molting/pregnancy.

Let me know if you have other queries Smile
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

Blocking burrow up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blocking burrow up   Blocking burrow up Empty9/12/2012, 7:18 am

Scorpion975 wrote:
It's gotten to the point now where when it's feeding time I have to use the tongs (NOT my hand) to scrape away a little of the substrate so I can then coax the cricket into the hide.

From my personal opinion, I do not recommend doing this. If the scorpion has sealed the burrow, there is a reason as GS stated.

When they get hungry, they WILL come out or embush pray from the burrow entrance. I would advise just leaving the weekly "meal" around, without forcing it into the burrow.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Scorpion975
Pandinus
Scorpion975

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-08-10

Blocking burrow up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blocking burrow up   Blocking burrow up Empty9/12/2012, 1:31 pm

DolbyR wrote:
Scorpion975 wrote:
It's gotten to the point now where when it's feeding time I have to use the tongs (NOT my hand) to scrape away a little of the substrate so I can then coax the cricket into the hide.

From my personal opinion, I do not recommend doing this. If the scorpion has sealed the burrow, there is a reason as GS stated.

When they get hungry, they WILL come out or embush pray from the burrow entrance. I would advise just leaving the weekly "meal" around, without forcing it into the burrow.

I don't leave feeders in longer than a few hours (overnight).

His burrow isn't sealed in the sense that it's not fortified, just dug up underneath the hide.
Back to top Go down
utopianshadow19
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-08-13

Blocking burrow up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blocking burrow up   Blocking burrow up Empty9/13/2012, 2:35 pm

Okay thanks everyone. He recently came out and dug a new burrow that's really deep and i haven't seen him for a week. Also he hasn't fed for about 3 weeks although i did put a locust in that disappeared so i'm guessing he ate it, either that or it escaped somehow. Probably eaten though. can't see any bits but i don't want to destroy his burrow to get the bits.

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Blocking burrow up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blocking burrow up   Blocking burrow up Empty

Back to top Go down

Blocking burrow up
Page 1 of 1