The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Can anyone help me try to find out sex of Toxic my fiery emp??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Toxic / Clipsy
Pandinus
Toxic / Clipsy

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-05-21

Can anyone help me try to find out sex of Toxic my fiery emp?? Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone help me try to find out sex of Toxic my fiery emp??   Can anyone help me try to find out sex of Toxic my fiery emp?? Empty8/5/2012, 2:09 pm

All comments welcome..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/84037650@N02/7718814420/in/photostream
Thankyou
scorpion
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me try to find out sex of Toxic my fiery emp??   Can anyone help me try to find out sex of Toxic my fiery emp?? Empty8/5/2012, 7:14 pm

Male.
Please tell me you're not keeping him on sand.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Toxic / Clipsy
Pandinus
Toxic / Clipsy

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me try to find out sex of Toxic my fiery emp??   Can anyone help me try to find out sex of Toxic my fiery emp?? Empty8/5/2012, 8:37 pm

Why?? The pet shop i brought him from gave me protein sand with the whole set, with sum bark, whats best to have them in then??
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me try to find out sex of Toxic my fiery emp??   Can anyone help me try to find out sex of Toxic my fiery emp?? Empty8/6/2012, 12:03 am

I'm not blaming you for this, I'm blaming your pet-store. The reality is, most pet shops have no idea how to care for scorpions, they simply assume that they come from deserts.

Emperor scorpions are native to hot, moist, tropical West Africa (Ghana, Togo, and other countries near the equator). They live near the surface in burrows, which may be along stream banks or under moisture-retaining ground debris.

Sand does not hold moisture, nor does it allow for burrows. (Unless it's consolidated with clay.)

The substrate that's most recommended is coco fiber. You should be able to buy it at your local pet-store, it comes in a compressed brick. It's available under a number of different brand names, including "eco-earth", "exo terra plantation soil", "coconut coir", etc. It's all the same thing, ground, dehydrated, coconut husk. It holds moisture very well and is stable enough for burrowing.

Change the substrate as soon as you can.

You may wish to read these: [ASA] Forest Scorpions' Caresheet
Pandinus imperator and most Heterometrus spp. (Tropical Forest Scorpions)
Frequently Asked Questions about Emperor Scorpions (P. Imperator)

It probably won't do any good, but could you please advise your local pet-shop that they are caring for their scorpions incorrectly. They may try to impress upon you that they are "experts", saying that they have been keeping exotic animals for years, blah blah blah,..........don't listen to a word of it.

Quite frankly, the only pet-shop I've ever seen that cares for scorpions correctly is my own local one, and I suspect that's because it's close to Cornell University, which has an entomology department. (Some people also study arachnology and myriapodology at Cornell as well.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Ludedor24
Babycurus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help me try to find out sex of Toxic my fiery emp??   Can anyone help me try to find out sex of Toxic my fiery emp?? Empty8/6/2012, 6:36 am

+1 to everything above mentioned
Back to top Go down

Can anyone help me try to find out sex of Toxic my fiery emp??
Page 1 of 1