The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

First time emp owner-really concerned about white lice or mite looking bugs crawling under his folds

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
egancd9044
Pandinus

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-07-20

First time emp owner-really concerned about white lice or mite looking bugs crawling under his folds Empty
PostSubject: First time emp owner-really concerned about white lice or mite looking bugs crawling under his folds   First time emp owner-really concerned about white lice or mite looking bugs crawling under his folds Empty7/20/2012, 4:57 pm

I've aquired an emp from my husband as a pet and I've really grown to like this little guy. I breed pythons and know absolutely nothing about emps beyond the general husbandry research that I did. I keep him humid and have a little under tank heater and keep him on coconut bark. My local pet store only sells crickets by the dozen so I dumped them all in at once, which I realize now was a REALLY dumb idea. They had babies and before I knew it there was hundreds of little crickets in my scorp tank. So I dump out the entire tank and rinsed it thoroughly. Meanwhile I had my emp in a plastic tupperware container and when i lifted it up to look at his belly I noticed teeny tiny little white bugs crawling under the folds of his plates. Seriously when I tell you they're small I mean I would have missed them if I didn't have 20/20 vision. Although my pythons have never had mites I'm aware and always on the lookout for them-but these didn't look like mites. Atleast not the ones snakes get. Are there different kinds of mites that scorpions get? I did some googling and heard some people talking about "good cleaner" mites. What the heck is going on with my little guy? Someone please help Sad
Back to top Go down
Ludedor24
Babycurus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2011-10-02

First time emp owner-really concerned about white lice or mite looking bugs crawling under his folds Empty
PostSubject: Re: First time emp owner-really concerned about white lice or mite looking bugs crawling under his folds   First time emp owner-really concerned about white lice or mite looking bugs crawling under his folds Empty7/20/2012, 7:20 pm

They sound like they could be mites, make sure you put the under the tank heater on the side of the enclosure , I think somewhere I saw pill bugs help eat the mite eggs so you could try that, Ive never had a large infestation but at one time I did have an emp with mites it was only a few and put him in very shallow water and once they came off pulled him out, obviously you dont want to have you're little guy drown though.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: First time emp owner-really concerned about white lice or mite looking bugs crawling under his folds   First time emp owner-really concerned about white lice or mite looking bugs crawling under his folds Empty7/21/2012, 2:00 am

Ludedor24 wrote:
They sound like they could be mites, make sure you put the under the tank heater on the side of the enclosure , I think somewhere I saw pill bugs help eat the mite eggs so you could try that, Ive never had a large infestation but at one time I did have an emp with mites it was only a few and put him in very shallow water and once they came off pulled him out, obviously you dont want to have you're little guy drown though.
+1 to everything said.

Also, you may want to take a look at this: [HOW TO] Rid an enclosure of mites
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First time emp owner-really concerned about white lice or mite looking bugs crawling under his folds   First time emp owner-really concerned about white lice or mite looking bugs crawling under his folds Empty

Back to top Go down

First time emp owner-really concerned about white lice or mite looking bugs crawling under his folds
Page 1 of 1