The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

First time Emp owner

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Seany-p
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-01-08

First time Emp owner Empty
PostSubject: First time Emp owner   First time Emp owner Empty1/9/2011, 1:19 pm

Hello all, today I got myself my first emp,yay!! I'm just looking for some help/advice on how to care for it. At the moment it's about 12mm in size so from what I've read I'm guessing it's only had/done it's first molt? The enclosure at the moment consists of a plastic tub approx 3by6 inches, is this too big or too small? The substrate is about 2cms deep again is this too little or too much? Heat wise I have almost half the tub over a heat mat which is NOT rigged up to a stat-is this correct/adequate? And finally what sort of food should I be feeding it, the pet shop said micro crickets but it seems scared of them? Is there anything else I can feed to it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm normally a lizard man but I want this little scorp to have the best start possible. Sean.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: First time Emp owner   First time Emp owner Empty1/9/2011, 6:44 pm

Hi there, congrats on your first emp Smile

This thread should answer most if not all your emp questions: https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t13-frequently-asked-questions-about-emperor-scorpions-p-imperator

You seem to have a baby emp, so that container is fine for now. When raising babies, I don't believe it to be necessary to give it much substrate, so that is fine for now too. I would be careful of the heat mat and make sure that it can't melt the tub. Did you place the heat mat on the side of the tub? Pin head crickets should work for an emp that small. It may be avoiding the crickets because it's adjusting to its new home and does not want to eat yet. Please read the link I posted because it has some great info on emps. After that, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask Smile
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: First time Emp owner   First time Emp owner Empty1/9/2011, 7:07 pm

Cheers for the advice and the link, made for some excellent reading. The heat mat was under the tub but after reading that it was swiftly moved to the side! Is it best to have along the width or length side of the tub? How long would it take to get bigger approximately of course?! Cheers Sean.
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: First time Emp owner   First time Emp owner Empty1/9/2011, 7:36 pm

One thing I have forgot to ask is water recomendations for the little dude?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: First time Emp owner   First time Emp owner Empty1/10/2011, 11:16 am

Just misting the enclosure or filling a bottle cap with water will be sufficient.

Make sure to keep the container's humidity up as well.
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: First time Emp owner   First time Emp owner Empty1/10/2011, 1:01 pm

I've used a bottle cap but filled with tissue as I'm a bit paranoid about the possibilty of drowning with him being so small, I'm guessing he'll suck the water through the tissue? Being a small plastic tub I can't rig a humidity gauge up so is there any indication I can go by of the tank being too moist?
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: First time Emp owner   First time Emp owner Empty1/10/2011, 2:27 pm

If your paranoid about drowning, then put little pebbles at the bottom of the bottle cap...I dont suggest the tissue because it will mold and such and grow...
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: First time Emp owner   First time Emp owner Empty1/18/2011, 12:46 pm

Emps can safely submerge themselves for hours at a time without drowning.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: First time Emp owner   First time Emp owner Empty1/18/2011, 12:56 pm

Congrats on your new Scorp Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First time Emp owner   First time Emp owner Empty

Back to top Go down

First time Emp owner
Page 1 of 1