The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

First time scorpion owner :)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CaptainCassie
Pandinus

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-07-21

First time scorpion owner :) Empty
PostSubject: First time scorpion owner :)   First time scorpion owner :) Empty7/22/2013, 8:35 am

bounce I'm excited Smile I went to a local reptile roundup on Saturday, and got to talking with one of the vendors there about his scorpion, and how I'd always wanted one, but how I prefer to raise all my animals from babies (I've currently got a 20 gallon tropical fish tank in which I breed guppies and bristlenose plecos, a crested gecko, two axolotls and two dogs). I've been looking to expand my collection for a while- I absolutely love animals and love learning about new ones, but we're remodeling the house, so I've been holding off. Well... the guy offered to give me one of his baby emperors and I just couldn't resist! So, I brought it home and went out yesterday and pick up some supplies. I already had a tank; I've got tons of extras laying around. I had also already done the basic research, because it's been on my wish list for a while.

Here's what I've got for my set-up:

10 gallon tank
Peat for the substrate
Heating pad
Mesh reptile screen with screen clips
Thermometer and humidity gauge
Water dish with a sponge (I read somewhere to do it this way because he was still so little- is this right)
Pin head crickets- gut loaded of course
Cork bark hides and sheets for it to climb and hide under
I'm going to DIY some more hides from the wood in my barn- I prefer to DIY whatever I can

What's really nice is that when it gets bigger it'll have the same diet as my crested. :)And I've already got the water and the mister and everything I can share between the two of them.

So, I guess I'm wondering if that setup is ok, and can I go ahead and let him loose in there being that he's so small? Also, he's about an inch, maybe an inch and a half, so about how old would this make it?

Also... last one I promise. I'd really like to be able to handle, stress free for the scorpion, so that when I need to move it to clean the cage and such it'll be happy times all around. How seen can I start to do so, and what's the best way to get it used to being handled?

Thanks so much guys, I'm so excited to learn all that I can from you!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/therealcaptaincassie
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: First time scorpion owner :)   First time scorpion owner :) Empty7/22/2013, 9:00 am

Sounds like you've got everything you need. A 10 gallon tank is rather large for a single 1.5 inch juvenile, but should be ok. A smaller enclosure, however, would make it easier for your scorp to locate prey. Rather than using a sponge which can harbor bacteria, add a layer of gravel to your water bowl to make it shallower. Scorpions never get use to being handled and any handling will cause stress. The best way to transfer your scorpion is to gently coax it into a deli container using a paint brush or straw.
Back to top Go down
CaptainCassie
Pandinus

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-07-21

PostSubject: Re: First time scorpion owner :)   First time scorpion owner :) Empty7/23/2013, 6:52 am

Thanks so much! I figured that since it was so big, maybe I'd either feed him in a critter keeper or tong feed him until he got bigger? Are either of those a good idea? I wasn't sure about the tong feeding though, because I don't want him to not learn to hunt for his food. Also, I keep calling it a him, but how big do they have to be before they can be sexed?

And, I read somewhere else on here not to put the heating pad on the bottom, but on the side instead. How far up the tank wall should I affix it? About midway, or closer to the bottom?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/therealcaptaincassie
ShredderEmp
Tityus
ShredderEmp

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: First time scorpion owner :)   First time scorpion owner :) Empty7/23/2013, 10:52 am

If ou have a small emperor, that kritter keeper would fine. Tong feeding does not harm their hunting ability. The heating pad should be placed just above the substrate. Sexing can be done at sub adult age or 4-6 instar.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: First time scorpion owner :)   First time scorpion owner :) Empty7/23/2013, 11:22 am

To hold in humidity, you'll want to cover most of the vents in the critter keeper lid with packing tape, or, place a piece plastic wrap over the top of the critter keeper then snap on the lid. Cut the plastic wrap about an inch less than the width of your critter keeper so you have a gap on each end to allow some air flow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First time scorpion owner :)   First time scorpion owner :) Empty

Back to top Go down

First time scorpion owner :)
Page 1 of 1