The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Noob Question about Emperors

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gtm15782
Pandinus

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-06-17

Noob Question about Emperors Empty
PostSubject: Noob Question   Noob Question about Emperors Empty6/17/2012, 5:25 pm

Hi All

Im new to keeping scorps and have well and truly become obsessed with them (readin some of the threads I feel I'm in the right place lol)

Here is my Question

I have a total of 5 emps now (I know I have a problem) I have 3 small juveniles that are about 2 - 3 inch's long that I keep in a large exo terra faunarium with about 4 inch's of damp soil, ambient temp is about 80f and there is a basking area of about 88f

The other 2 are larger females approximatly 4 inch's and they are kept in a large Exo terra 60x45x60cm viv heated by a ceramic heater stated to about 84f, these have about 12inchs of moist soil slanted upwards from the front, but both chose to use the same hide near the top.

These 2 females are absolute monsters and would eat everyday if I let them, they never leave there burrow they just take it in turns waiting at the entrance for muggings here to feed them.

The 3 smaller one however started off eating ferociously but have slowed dramatically, they are still feeding but only at night when I'm not watching. They have dug a 3 entrance burrow that all 3 use (1 at each entrance) but when I offer food they get scared and hide in the burrow.

Is there a way I can improve there appetites to get them to feed more, I am planning of introducing them into the Larger tank when they reach a similar size but at this rate that won't be till they are fully grown!

Not to mention its a lot more fun to see the two fatties grab the cricket and run into there burrow giggling as they stuff there face lol

Any advice would be great thanks
Gary
Back to top Go down
antmac
Centruroides
antmac

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Noob Question about Emperors   Noob Question about Emperors Empty6/17/2012, 7:04 pm

There fine mate , they tend to got off food for a couple of months and then for no reason wat so ever start eating every think they can get , the best way I get mine eating agen is to drop the temp by 10 degrees and don't offer food , and do both for a month and then put the temp back up and start offering food agen , it works every time

Also when there coming up to shed they tend to go off food I wich case leave every think as it is and continue to feed with as little disturbance as possible

Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Noob Question about Emperors   Noob Question about Emperors Empty6/17/2012, 7:16 pm

Don't worry about them not eating. They may be getting close to a molt, or they may just not be hungry.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
gtm15782
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Noob Question about Emperors   Noob Question about Emperors Empty6/18/2012, 2:37 am

Hi and thanks for the reply, I would say by how plump they are that they are definatly not going into pre-moult and I have read that emps are well known for going on hunger strikes but as they are still so young I would have thought that this is less likely ?
I'm starting to think that they are just not that comfortable in there set up, would it be wise to introduce them to the larger tank now while the 2 girls look ready to burst and the size difference is still quite small.
I doubt cannabalism would occur because the 2 females must be going into pre-moult soon as they are so bloated they are pratically a balloon with pincers lol but do females show territorial aggression like some males can, or would they just attack and kill them.
As the 2 females are doing well I don't want to upset them but the tank has at least 4 other good hides for all the scorps to use ???
Thanks again
Back to top Go down
gtm15782
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Noob Question about Emperors   Noob Question about Emperors Empty6/18/2012, 2:47 am

Thanks for the reply, I have read that emps are well known for going off there food but as they are still so young I would have thought that to be less likely! most of the other animals I have kept eat like pigs until they reach adult size.
Do you think it would be safe to introduce them to the larger tank now while the size difference is still quite small and as the females look like they will be going into pre-moult soon as they are very plump, or could there still be canabalism or territorial violence ?
The larger tank has at least 5 large burrows that can be used so they can easily get away from each other
Thanks again
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Noob Question about Emperors   Noob Question about Emperors Empty6/18/2012, 5:17 am

antmac wrote:
There fine mate , they tend to got off food for a couple of months and then for no reason wat so ever start eating every think they can get , the best way I get mine eating agen is to drop the temp by 10 degrees and don't offer food , and do both for a month and then put the temp back up and start offering food agen , it works every time

Also when there coming up to shed they tend to go off food I wich case leave every think as it is and continue to feed with as little disturbance as possible

Hey antmac Smile
Good advise overall. A point to note, if you have already been keeping them at the optimal temperature, it is not necessary to do the temp drop + not offering food for a month just to induce feeding. The "returned appetite" is most likely due to the one month interval when you stoped feeding them. Scorpions should eat naturally as and when they are hungry, provided that the environmental conditions are right.

Hence, for developing young to adults, it's good to maintain the correct temperature and humidity and varies the feeding interval according to their appetite. E.g. if they are not hungry, simply remove and try again a week later. Btw, use the term "molt" or "moult" is more ideal than using "shed" Smile

gtm15782 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I have read that emps are well known for going off there food but as they are still so young I would have thought that to be less likely!

Most scorpions will refuse food as long as they are not feeling hungry. For young scorplings to sub-adults, they would usually eat all the way till they resembles "sausages with legs" and reduce/stop feeding 2-4 weeks prior to a molt to the next instar.

gtm15782 wrote:
Do you think it would be safe to introduce them to the larger tank now while the size difference is still quite small and as the females look like they will be going into pre-moult soon as they are very plump, or could there still be canabalism or territorial violence ?The larger tank has at least 5 large burrows that can be used so they can easily get away from each other
Thanks again
I will not recommend at this point of time. To mix two different groups of Pandinus imperators, it's recommended to do so only when both parties are not pre-molt condition. And of course, into an newly arranged enclosure so that either group/party will be less likely to display territorial aggression Smile
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Noob Question about Emperors   Noob Question about Emperors Empty6/18/2012, 7:45 am

I just realized that you posted this in the "Scorpions in General" section as well.
GS seems to have answered your question in your other thread. https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t8464-noob-question-about-emperors
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
gtm15782
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Noob Question about Emperors   Noob Question about Emperors Empty6/18/2012, 11:07 am

Thanks GS, The 3 smaller ones I would say are no way near plump enough to be going into pre-moult so I was right to think that they should still be feeding well, I only have a small water bowl in there that is not big enough for them to submerge which I have read they sometimes like to do.

Could this or dehydration be a cause for there lack of appetite ?

I'm going to put a larger one in today and see if it makes any difference but can anyone else think of any other possible options ?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
gtm15782
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Noob Question about Emperors   Noob Question about Emperors Empty6/18/2012, 11:10 am

Yeah, I wasnt sure which section would be the best to put it in so went for both lol
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: Noob Question about Emperors   Noob Question about Emperors Empty6/18/2012, 11:32 am

Scorpion19981000 wrote:
I just realized that you posted this in the "Scorpions in General" section as well.
GS seems to have answered your question in your other thread.
gtm15782 wrote:
Yeah, I wasnt sure which section would be the best to put it in so went for both lol
Threads merged. Thanks Scorpion Smile

gtm, both sub-forums are accessed by the same peeps here. Try to post in appropriate forum, else, just post one in the closest category you can find Smile

gtm15782 wrote:
Thanks GS, The 3 smaller ones I would say are no way near plump enough to be going into pre-moult so I was right to think that they should still be feeding well, I only have a small water bowl in there that is not big enough for them to submerge which I have read they sometimes like to do.
Could this or dehydration be a cause for there lack of appetite ?

Dehydration in scorpions, usually happens in captive desert's enclosure as it is the misconception of many keepers that desert scorpions may obtain sufficient water supply from their feeders, next in line are bark scorpions. For forest scorpions such as Pandinus imperators, dampen substrate and a water bowl filled-up at all times is a must, hence, if you have keeping them right, dehydration shouldn't happen at all.

The water bowl does NOT necessary need to be large enough for the scorpion to be fully submerge.
A large water bowl is good for providing a steady water supply over a good period of time before replenishing (e.g. able to last up to 4-7 days before a re-fill)

Do note that for younger scorplings or sub-adults, make sure to put some pebbles/stones as the water bowl's bedding so that they can easily climb out. A porous water bowl may be used as well.
Back to top Go down
gtm15782
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Noob Question about Emperors   Noob Question about Emperors Empty6/18/2012, 12:11 pm

I have put one of the small exo terra water bowls in that have the one side sloped so they can get out and will keep an eye on them when they first come out tonight. I have also tried using slightly larger prey, the standard sized black crickets to see if they can catch them easier.
I've read that a lot of Emps don't like black crickets, they have all ready been taking them but would switching to brown crickets possibly help ?
Sorry for asking loads of questions but I have been keeping reps and mantids for years and I'm not used to being the person asking the questions lol
I'm just trying to cover all options
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: Noob Question about Emperors   Noob Question about Emperors Empty6/18/2012, 1:03 pm

gtm15782 wrote:
I've read that a lot of Emps don't like black crickets, they have all ready been taking them but would switching to brown crickets possibly help ?
Emps will usually take any type of cricket as long as she's hungry. But the preference might go towards bite-sized feeders and prolong feeding-intervals once she is starting to get full.

It might not be the same for every specimen but sometimes, offering a variety does help at times.
I do experience scorpions that has been rejecting one type of feeder but readily accept the other. Looking at a balance diet probably Smile

gtm15782 wrote:
Sorry for asking loads of questions but I have been keeping reps and mantids for years and I'm not used to being the person asking the questions lol
I'm just trying to cover all options
No worries. We are here to help.. and hope we did Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noob Question about Emperors   Noob Question about Emperors Empty

Back to top Go down

Noob Question about Emperors
Page 1 of 1