The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2012-06-09

tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question.... Empty
PostSubject: tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question....   tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question.... Empty7/23/2012, 3:37 pm

i had to post this question becuase i cant get an answer on google, and im worried every hour of the day about the tarantula, twice that i saw the tarantula climbed upside down on the screen lid and eventually fell..... its about a 6 or 7 inch fall..... im wondering if my tarantula can get hurt from a 6 or 7 inch fall, its a medium sized rose hair..... when i saw this happen i emediatly ordered a special tank for the tarantula from www.tarantulacages.com i ordered the tank for adult terrestrial tarantulas its 16x8x8 and its safer becuase it doesnt have the screen lid.... but it takes up to 2 weeks for delivery, so untill it gets here im going to be worried 24/7 that my tarantula might hurt itsself climbing and falling..... can the tarantula get hurt from a 6 or 7 inch fall ????
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/androctonus.australis.5
Ludedor24
Babycurus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question....   tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question.... Empty7/23/2012, 5:36 pm

usually a safe distance is no more than twice the length of the tarantula...but your problem is most likely due to the very damp substrate , thats why its hanging upside down ...if you have anything dry like a large peice of corkbark perhaps it will sit on that. Just make sure its nothing that would hurt it if it fell on it.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question....   tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question.... Empty7/23/2012, 6:09 pm

+1 to everything Ludedor said.

Well, it could possibly get hurt, but it's not likely unless it lands on a hard/sharp object. The biggest danger is that it could rupture it's abdomen, but that's quite unlikely to happen from a drop of 6-7 inches. (Again, unless it lands on a hard or sharp surface.)

For very large terrestrial T's (Such as Theraphosa sp, etc.) it's normally recommended that the height from the substrate to the cage top not be too much greater than the tarantula's leg-span. Other factors are the size of the T, etc.

But for "normal sized" T's, a safe distance from the substrate to the lid is normally considered no more than twice the leg-span of the tarantula.

So you really didn't really need to buy the new tank. Don't get me wrong, [url=tarantulacages.com]tarantulacages.com[/url] are very nice, (I have one arboreal cage myself) but they are also quite expensive.

Just a quick question regarding your current screen top.
What type of screening is it? Is it thick steel/aluminum screening or is it more "mesh like"? (similar to window screening) If it's similar to window screening, change the lid ASAP. Common aluminum window screening is no match for a tarantula.
[Picture was obtained from here: https://2img.net/h/i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/trollquality/fv01678.jpg]
tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question.... Fv01678
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question....   tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question.... Empty7/23/2012, 6:29 pm

i got the screen lid from petco, its all black, i dont know if its metal or steel, but the screening looks a little big thicker than the screen in the picture.....i put a bag of dry soil over the wet soil, i dont know if the moister is going through tho that might be why it was climbing, but its been sitting on the dry soil since last night so i dont know if the moister is the problem. the new tank should be here within two weeks, and it doesnt have the screen lid so i think its a little bit safer, the only thing that it could fall on is the edge of the small water dish thats about a cenimeter sticking out of the dirt, or the fake plant but i dont know if those things will hurt the tarantula...
Back to top Go down
Ludedor24
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question....   tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question.... Empty7/23/2012, 7:20 pm

you're fine just need to stop worrying so much Razz
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question....   tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question.... Empty7/23/2012, 9:42 pm

i know i think im probably overthinking the situation, cuase all the care videos im watching on youtube most of them have the same set-up and they have even more space for there tarantula to climb and fall, i filled most of my tank with cocofiber substrate. but the screens on the tarantulacages.com are aluminum but there only 2 inch screens.....
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question....   tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question.... Empty7/23/2012, 11:03 pm

Yes, that's one of the downsides of "tarantulacages" enclosures. Their aluminum screening is stronger than what many screen tops are made of though. (Which is all to often, basic window screening.) So, it should be fine for a G. rosea.

Oh and RELAX. Don't worry so much. Smile

You've ordered "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide", correct? Once you get that, you probably won't have so many questions.

Good luck with your new Tarantula!
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Ludedor24
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question....   tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question.... Empty7/24/2012, 6:17 am

Also, Not sure if either of you looked but you can find a similar size acrylic containter at Michaels craft stores for like $20, thats what I love to use...I just install vents or burn out holes on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question....   tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question.... Empty

Back to top Go down

tarantula falling from lid question.....quick question....
Page 1 of 1