The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Scorplings. A bit confused here.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BobGrill
Pandinus

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-05-27

Scorplings. A bit confused here. Empty
PostSubject: Scorplings. A bit confused here.   Scorplings. A bit confused here. Empty5/27/2012, 2:54 pm

I had a gravid emperor recently give birth, and it seems I am having a few issues. I only ended up with about 6 scorplings total and was honestly expecting a lot more. This morning I got up and went to check on her and there were two babies laying on the substrate completely motionless. I assumed they were dead when all the sudden one of them began to move. I'm pretty puzzled as to what is going on. Are the two babies dying? Did they fall off the mom's back? And if so, will she pick them back up on her back? It almost seems like she just forgot about them. If they were weaker individuals I assume she would have eaten them. It has only been about 4 days since she gave birth, so there's no way they could already be leaving their mother's back. Anyway, I appreciate any help I can get.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings. A bit confused here.   Scorplings. A bit confused here. Empty5/27/2012, 9:15 pm

It sounds like the two babies somehow fell off her back.
I hate to say it, but they probably will not make it.
I'm not an expert on this sort of thing, but you could try (VERY CAREFULLY!) putting the 1st instar scorps in a plastic deli cup with very moist substrate. I don't think you should try to put them back on the female, you would stress the mother and the other scorplings out and you might accidentally knock other scorplings off.

Before you do anything, you might want to wait for people who have had experience with this to reply.

Last edited by Scorpion19981000 on 5/27/2012, 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
BobGrill
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings. A bit confused here.   Scorplings. A bit confused here. Empty5/27/2012, 10:49 pm

I've made my decision. I am going to leave her alone for the sake of the other babies. I feel terrible about leaving the other two there to die, but I don't think there's much I can do for them.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings. A bit confused here.   Scorplings. A bit confused here. Empty5/27/2012, 11:10 pm

Do you have any plastic deli cups, or any other small containers with lids?

Try putting the scorplings into a plastic deli cup with very moist substrate. (You could also use moist paper towels) Keep the ventilation to a minimal, you want it to be very moist with very high humidity.

If you decide to do this, make sure you don't disturb the mother.

Last edited by Scorpion19981000 on 5/28/2012, 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings. A bit confused here.   Scorplings. A bit confused here. Empty5/28/2012, 12:14 am

EDIT: Posted at the same time with Scorpion19981000 Smile
Yep +1

Btw, I'm coming with a pictorial guide on this soon but this is what you can do now.

1. As gently as possible, place the two 1.instar scorplings on a small deli cup (5 oz) with cotton bedding which is moist to the touch (NOT soaking wet whereby you can see puddle of water). I would not recommend using moist coco-fibre as the substrate as during this period, the 1.instar is extremely vulnerable to possible contamination.

2. Put the lid of the container back on. This is to maintain the humidity. A few holes on the lid would suffice for ventilation.

3. Since it'll be hard to measure the temperature on the inside of the small deli-cup, do ensure the air temperature on the surrounding is warm. e.g. about 85F

4. Be patient. I might not work 100% but it certainly raise the chances of survival.
I hope it's in time to save them Smile
Back to top Go down
BobGrill
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings. A bit confused here.   Scorplings. A bit confused here. Empty5/28/2012, 1:07 am

Only problem is I would have to lift up the log she's under in order to get the two babies, as they are in an extremely awkward position for me to get to them.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings. A bit confused here.   Scorplings. A bit confused here. Empty5/28/2012, 3:03 am

If it's really out of the way, i advise to leave the current situation as it is.

Our main consideration should be given to those babies which are already on mom's back and we have to do what we can to minimize disturbance of any kind.

Back to top Go down
BobGrill
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings. A bit confused here.   Scorplings. A bit confused here. Empty5/28/2012, 6:29 am

I can't be sure, but it looks like maybe one of the scorplings that had fallen off has managed to crawl back onto the mother's back. Hopefully I'm right.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings. A bit confused here.   Scorplings. A bit confused here. Empty5/28/2012, 9:31 am

Yep, it's possible.

A Lychas mucronatus' True Love Story..

Keep us updated then Smile
Back to top Go down
BobGrill
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings. A bit confused here.   Scorplings. A bit confused here. Empty5/28/2012, 5:29 pm

Update: All of the babies but one are dead. The mom seems to have just dropped them off her back for some reason, maybe they were underdeveloped. The one baby I found on the substrate and I have put it in a small deli cup with some eco earth. Hopefully it will make it, though I doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings. A bit confused here.   Scorplings. A bit confused here. Empty5/28/2012, 10:05 pm

That sucks man. I hope you have better luck next time.
Back to top Go down
BobGrill
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings. A bit confused here.   Scorplings. A bit confused here. Empty5/28/2012, 11:21 pm

a few questions. The scorpling seems to have something stuck to its tail. It looks like a piece of exoskeleton from another scorpling. Not sure how it got there, but should I try removing it, or just leave it alone? Also, how active are first instar scorplings?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorplings. A bit confused here.   Scorplings. A bit confused here. Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorplings. A bit confused here.
Page 1 of 1