The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...

Go down 
+2
Scott Land
jmoran1097
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jmoran1097
Hadogenes
jmoran1097

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-05-19

For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty
PostSubject: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/27/2008, 12:23 am

A lot of my early instar 2-3I desert species are kept in small deli containers on a sand/coco fiber mix, but I'm very adamant about not giving the youngsters a hide until I move them into a much larger container. I've never had a molt issue so I'm wondering, how do you guys feel about this as scorp enthusiasts? They sometimes will burrow, sometimes won't.

Are hides for youngsters ALWAYS necessary?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/moranspace
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/27/2008, 12:54 am

jmoran1097 wrote:
A lot of my early instar 2-3I desert species are kept in small deli containers on a sand/coco fiber mix, but I'm very adamant about not giving the youngsters a hide until I move them into a much larger container. I've never had a molt issue so I'm wondering, how do you guys feel about this as scorp enthusiasts? They sometimes will burrow, sometimes won't.

Are hides for youngsters ALWAYS necessary?
If kept in a darkish quiet spot it shouldn't matter and if you are having success then no worrys.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/27/2008, 2:15 am

I say don't have an aneurysm over the husbandry of others. you would probably die if you saw the fact that all my 2i H. judaicus are on a sand mix with gelled water for a water source in their own bead containers in a 20 long on top of a blanket heating pad. it works for me just fine. like Scott said, if there is success then there is nothing to worry about. there are suggested methods and depending on the species I follow said methods but I'm not gonna rant about those who don't because ranting is not going to help the hobby
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/27/2008, 2:42 am

If you're worried about stressing them, as Scott said, a dark quiet place should work just as well.

I think it's only really important with barks that need it to molt from.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/27/2008, 3:15 am

the bark for bark scorps is a given but the rest is really up to the keeper. if they have success keeping their i2+ on a substrate then more power to them. as I said in the thread about feeding mice "...in the wild..." there's no paper towels and 50 dram vials to crawl into. it's not a matter of ethics if it works. now if I had something like C. celebensis, S. donensis or other small scorps that take slightly higher humidity levels that are at i2...I can assure you they would be housed in 1-2oz serving cups with moist tissue until they proved to be ready to get a substrate - then they would end up housed in the same type of containers as my H. judaicus.
Back to top Go down
jmoran1097
Hadogenes
jmoran1097

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/27/2008, 11:20 am

i will be obtaining some C.Celebensis on thursday. i realize that they need high humidity levels. for 2I, do you recommend moist substrate or paper towel routine?
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/27/2008, 11:47 am

jmoran1097 wrote:
i will be obtaining some C.Celebensis on thursday. i realize that they need high humidity levels. for 2I, do you recommend moist substrate or paper towel routine?

are you getting them from Thiscordia? apparently he posted them yesterday eve and they were gone in 3hrs - before I can put in an order.
I shall refer you to my previous post:
Rasputin wrote:
now if I had something like C. celebensis, S. donensis or other small scorps that take slightly higher humidity levels that are at i2...I can assure you they would be housed in 1-2oz serving cups with moist tissue until they proved to be ready to get a substrate
Back to top Go down
jmoran1097
Hadogenes
jmoran1097

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/27/2008, 12:20 pm

i bought the guy out haha
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/27/2008, 12:22 pm

..:SHAKES FIST IN A RABID MANNER:..

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you do realize how small they are right?
Back to top Go down
jmoran1097
Hadogenes
jmoran1097

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/27/2008, 1:49 pm

sure do. I ordered two, but I'm sure there will be more coming in the future.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/27/2008, 4:49 pm

Try making only half the substrate moist and dividing it with some cork bark. The scorp can choose where to go for humidity.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/27/2008, 5:00 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:
Try making only half the substrate moist and dividing it with some cork bark. The scorp can choose where to go for humidity.

wayne did an awesome SOTM last May about Chaerilus celebensis and although he has 2 threads about raising early instar scorps and his methods - he adds another method on this species

http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16414&st=0&gopid=187202&
Back to top Go down
jmoran1097
Hadogenes
jmoran1097

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/27/2008, 5:50 pm

i was actually reading this yesterday and it couldn't have come at a better time.
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/28/2008, 1:11 am

jmoran1097 wrote:
The babys on these 2 scorpions are probably the parents of your scorpions that are coming. They were born here at my house Very Happy
For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... IMG_0285scorp1b567
For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... IMG_0265ku7
and a baby next to its food (peice of 1/4 inch mealworm)
For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... IMG_03392d4f45bettercc
Back to top Go down
enjoier14
Pandinus
enjoier14

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/29/2008, 11:58 am

jmoran1097 wrote:

How much did you pay for each of them? I'm trying to get my hands on some.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty5/29/2008, 1:42 pm

Thiscordia aka raul. His name is highlighted "Thiscordia" because he's a certified ScorpionForum dealer. Look under the BREEDER group to contact him.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...   For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question... Empty

Back to top Go down

For early instar scorps, here is a bothersome question...
Page 1 of 1