The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty
PostSubject: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty2/13/2011, 6:53 am

I read somewhere that UV rays are bad for the emp, I got a Exo Terra enclosure today and it came with a 15w sun glo UVA bulb for daylight heating and vision, I mean the box I got the package in had a emp on the front of it lol, my question is can I leave that bulb in there? Or should I get a different one? I got a 25W night-glo bulb as well for the enclosure I am sure that is fine since it supposed to simulate the moonlight right? I also read somewhere that I should be getting a infrared bulb instead?

My enclosure is sitting at 80F and 40 humidity (with the night glo light on) according to the gauges it came with, I am using coco musk as the substrate and it is very moist.

The baby emp used to be kept in a small kritter keeper box thing and I saw this setup at the store and had to buy it cause it looked so cool lol. The scorpion is more active in this one as it sat in its hide all day and night in the box and hes actually crawling all over the place in his new home, hes sitting on the background of the enclosure right now lol.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty2/13/2011, 7:32 pm

Get one of these: http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=300&uid=689402848

Get the wattage that works best for your emp.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty2/13/2011, 8:50 pm

Just bought a 50W one and its sitting facing down over the cover, thing gets pretty hot but when I put my hand inside the enclosure its nice and warm I am sure its fine? Should I leave it on all day? or only when I need to bump humidity and temp? sits around 75 with the night light on and 80ish with the infrared one.

Humidity is like 60-70 depending
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty2/14/2011, 6:55 am

If it's warm inside, then by my standards it's fine. You can leave it on all day if you want and I tend to do that sometimes too. What temperature does it get when it's not on during the night? If it's not too cold, it's not a problem to turn it off.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty2/16/2011, 12:59 pm

I leave the night-glo bulb on 24 hours unless the infrared one is on and when the night-glo is on the temp is 80 but the humidity is only 50-60 :/ which is wierd cause I put water in there + i mist a lot

I only have the infrared one on for a few hours of the day and the temp is around 90 and the humidity is the same :/

it is a 5.5g 12x12x12 tank if that matters.

I heard the hygrometer that exo terra enclosure comes with suck anyways and that if you put water + spray water in there and your temp is up there then i should be fine?
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty2/16/2011, 6:21 pm

That sounds fine to me. Yes, those hygrometers really suck and the only good ones are the expensive ones. If the substrate is evenly moist and the tank is warm, everything is good to go.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty2/16/2011, 7:34 pm

yeah temperature is at 90 right now and my girl just misted the crap out of it lol
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty5/28/2011, 8:44 pm

i had that same question and after reading through some of the other threads i found the answer to be that constant exposure to uv is bad. so what night light would be safe to use for nocturnal viewing??
not as a heat source.just for viewing purposes.

for the humidity i could help.
ive only owned two emperor scorpions going on a grand total of 24hrs.my humidity is good.
i learned humidity techniques with my snake though.
the heatlamps dry the air out.some people have success with them but i dont.
so what i did for my emps is use a piece of plexi glass cut to the shape of the screen top leaving a 2'' x 10'' gap on the cooler side for ventilation.then i used some duct tape to seal the plexi to the metal frame of the screen.now for heat uth on the side.works for me.

Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty5/28/2011, 8:50 pm

For night viewing you can get a red light bulb. They sell IR lights that aren't for heating at the pet store. These look like regular light bulbs, rather that the heat ones that are flat on the top.

They will still emit heat, but it won't be as direct as a heat lamp. Just get a 40 watt and you should be good.
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty5/28/2011, 9:20 pm

it wont dirupt noccurnal activity??
do scorpions not see colored lights like supposedly snakes dont?
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty5/28/2011, 9:32 pm

Conventional wisdom is that they can not see red light. Mine all come out to explore as soon as the regular lights turn off. They don't seem to notice the red ones.
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty5/28/2011, 9:36 pm

ok side mounted uth doesnt get hot enough only under neath it does.im gonna start a new topic everyone pay individual attention to roblicious.sorry
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty5/29/2011, 3:02 am

if the heat feels pressing (at 85) when you put your hand in, it is moist enough. i would only use red lamps
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty5/29/2011, 1:21 pm

good to know.my snake probably looks at the heat lamp cause it sees the source of the heat and doesnt actually see the light.
haaahaaaaa silly scorps cant see the heat.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty5/29/2011, 2:07 pm

:-p

They will find a thumb to pinch or sting though Laughup
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?   Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are the Exo Terra Sun Glo and Night Glo Bulbs ok for my Emp?
Page 1 of 1