The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...

Go down 
+4
*~BEX~*
Taledus
Jay
clipse900
8 posters
AuthorMessage
clipse900
Pandinus
clipse900

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty
PostSubject: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/8/2011, 9:11 am

They usually eat at least 2 times per week on a purely mealworm diet.
Problem is, crickets are hard to get by in our area.
Any feeding suggestions?
And as said in the title, they have not eaten in already a month.
I'm just worried.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f76/16/16/87/57/dsc01110.jpg
This is porgie,the female one. I'm not sure why she looks real fat and why she does that pose.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f76/16/16/87/57/dsc01111.jpg
And this my friends is borgie,he is the one i am most worried about because he is so uber thin as compared to porgie.

Will be able to post more pics asap.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/8/2011, 10:02 am

Hi mate, your scorpions will majorly benefit from being on the correct substrate. Sand's not good for any forest scorpion, it also looks very dry. They need to be on moist coco fibre ideally.

Scorpions can go a very long time without food but will soon desiccate without water so I'd be more worried about the substrate and water than them feeding. Just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
Taledus
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/8/2011, 10:12 am

From the pictures it looks like vermiculite for substrate, which is also stuck all over the female's tail. If I am not mistaken, people say not to use vermiculite for emps as it has a tendency to stick to them...or at least use a mix with potting soil from all the stuff I have read around.

The pose for the female looks like she is pissed Smile
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/8/2011, 11:41 am

+1 on the substrate humidity should be at 70%

I wouldnt worry about them not feeding scorps can go months without feeding even if they have fed quite regulary before it is not un-common for them to stop for a few months

Also males are always slimmer/thiner than females so wouldnt worry about that either

Although from the look of your substrate im suprised its not stress making them reluctant to eat

i would also like to add that a purely mealworm diet is not very good, mealworms are very fatty and should be fed as a kind of "treat" you should vary there diets with healthy gutloaded crickets, locusts, roaches, we feed our feeders on grapes/tomatoes any veggy really.

Smile
Back to top Go down
clipse900
Pandinus
clipse900

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/9/2011, 4:31 am

After changing substrate,would i have a problem about them burrowing in?

Thanks. Very Happy

At least now i know what went wrong.

Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/9/2011, 4:35 am

Once u have there set up correct u shouldn't have any problems, some scorps burrow like mad and some just can't be arsed lol specially as they reach the end of there life they tend to not be that bothered, but either way they should be given the correct conditions to do so, and always make sure u have enough hides for all scorps Smile
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/9/2011, 4:36 am

Also it wants to be quite moist and a good 4-6 inches deep
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/9/2011, 4:44 am

^ Ah, I'm gonna skip on that one as an Out-of-Context quote because it's too easy Cool
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/9/2011, 4:49 am

Lol good good!!! 
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/9/2011, 5:00 am

Laughing Laughing

Nice one on the change mate, they'll be alot happier. And burrowing in is what they do best, you'll have no problems except not seeing them as much.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
clipse900
Pandinus
clipse900

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/11/2011, 8:13 pm

One last question,uhh. I pet them like cats every week to 'domesticate' them.
Am i nuts for doing so?..
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/11/2011, 11:27 pm

clipse900 wrote:
One last question,uhh. I pet them like cats every week to 'domesticate' them.
Am i nuts for doing so?..
Very Happy

Short answer; yep you're nuts they cant be trained, long answer; not really, emperors are the most docile species and if (if it's possible which is yet to be demonstrated) they get tricked into thinking getting touched is part of their environment there's a chance they won't mind as much, they'll ignore it.

And my answer to your original post is your female looks gravid, or fat and they do that stilt to regulate their heat. Usually they do that stand in front of a heat source, would your lamp or tape happen to be where she was doing it? Also your male looks dehydrated, might be a good idea to switch the substrate to coco fibre like what was most likely suggested (didn't really read the responses). Even if you can't see them sometimes from burrowing they will be happier, hence where the name "pet holes" comes from when referring to emps.
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/12/2011, 6:22 am

It would be cool if we could domesticate them,teach them tricks like roll over our sting on command..but sorry they cant be domesticated
Back to top Go down
clipse900
Pandinus
clipse900

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/16/2011, 7:28 pm

Ok. Thanks.
Yes, the female usually does it near the lamp.
I just recently switched my substrate to potting soil around three days ago.
And while changing substrate, a darkling beetle was found.
Needless to say, they didn't eat it.
Grrr.

Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/18/2011, 2:34 am

Its best to not us potting soil but im sure you could do much worse...Lol...you tried to domesticate a scorpion....lol...
Back to top Go down
clipse900
Pandinus
clipse900

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/20/2011, 10:15 am

Uhh. What should i do then?
Very Happy
Heeey..

"Its best to not us potting soil but im sure you could do much worse...Lol...you tried to domesticate a scorpion....lol..."

They're my first pets. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
clipse900
Pandinus
clipse900

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty2/21/2011, 9:25 am

Excuse me dear ladies and gents but just how do you feed them?
They used to attack the mealworm with their pincers and the darkling beetle i placed there just struts around in peace around them.

Lemme just say it is kinda like saying no to free, good food.
Grrrrrr...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...   Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month... Empty

Back to top Go down

Please help, my emperors(Borgie and Porgie) have not eaten for around a month...
Page 1 of 1