The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jen90
Pandinus
Jen90

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2013-04-17

Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny Empty
PostSubject: Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny   Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny Empty3/10/2014, 5:54 pm

So Bonnie finally moulted! And I have the entire moult which is just awesome. And I've seen her eat a few times now which is great.

Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny  border=Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny Bonnie11" />" />

The only thing is, she moulted about a month ago, and I haven't seen her since. She looked black and shiny after her moult. Anyway so I have been offering her crickets about once a week but often she doesn't take them. Today, however, she was out and about so I offered her one and she dived on it and started devouring it- first time I've properly seen her eat out in the open.

[img][img][img]Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny Bonnie11[/img][/img][/img]

Thing is...she looks so dull and almost like, really dehydrated or skinny or something. It's hard to tell because she's quite small anyway but she definately doesn't look her healthy, shiny and ever so fiesty self!

Could this be still due to the moult, or perhaps that her viv is not humid enough? It's always warm and wet in there, often condensation and i try to keep her water bowl filled although it seems to evaporate quite quickly.

Any advice would be great- is she okay? Does her appetite imply that she's absolutely fine but perhaps just not quite herself yet?

Thank you

Jen
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny   Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny Empty3/11/2014, 7:37 am

Once a scorpion has hardened up after moulting it will look like a brand spanking new scorpion, full of colour, bright and shiny. Over time they will become more 'weathered' and their colouration will become duller until they moult again to the next instar. You've seen her eat, she has access to water and so long as the temperature and humidity is correct in her enclosure you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

However, a picture of her would be great just in case it is anything to be concerned about Smile .
Back to top Go down
Jen90
Pandinus
Jen90

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny   Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny Empty3/11/2014, 11:22 am

Thanks Callum!

That second picture was supposed to be a picture of Bonnie eating but it wouldn't come up properly and I was so tired.

Here is Bonnie eating yesterday and a picture i took of her just now.Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny Bonnie23
Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny Bonnie24

She was so shiny and black, and it was over a month ago, in fact it must have been more like 2 months ago that she moulted. Now she looks kind of...not mushy but like shivelled if you see what I mean.

Jen
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny   Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny Empty3/11/2014, 11:37 am

I can't see anything of concern in the pictures.

Could it be that you were used to seeing her in a pre-moult stage i.e. pretty fat, then she's moulted, looked all shiny and new for a while and now she's dulled a little?
Back to top Go down
Jen90
Pandinus
Jen90

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny   Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny Empty3/11/2014, 11:39 am

That could well be it. Plus I don't see her every day and so I guess I remember her as being very shiny and now she just seems quite matt.

Thank you! I am thrilled to hear that she doesn't appear anything other than healthy Very Happy

And I've never actually witnessed her eating before so that was a real treat!

Jen
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny   Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny Empty3/13/2014, 5:06 am

She'll become bright and increase in size more as she feeds don't worry Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny   Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny Empty

Back to top Go down

Bonnie moulted 1 month ago but now looks really dull and skinny
Page 1 of 1