The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Empty
PostSubject: Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted   Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Empty12/10/2011, 1:01 pm

Hey guys...here's a 6th instar R.garridoi freshly moulted today...I'm thinking it's a female with one moult remaining..alternatively of course it could be an adult male.
Check out the chela and metasoma...Wouldn't you's agree that the metasoma looks quite thin for a Rhopalurus male as do the chela?
Until my others moult i don't another one to compare with although judging by other pictures i've seen online it would appear to me as a sub adult female.

Opinions?

Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Fresh_10

Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted   Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Empty12/10/2011, 1:50 pm

I'm leaning towards female as well but to be accurate;
At 6.instar, its easier to sex via a side shot on the chela.
Identical to Rhopalurus junceus. With the power of your lens,
you should be able to get a clear shot of it.

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t7792-rhopalurus-junceus

Btw, great pic and a gorgeous specimen there Smile
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

PostSubject: Re: Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted   Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Empty12/10/2011, 2:02 pm

Excellent GS .. I wasn't aware that the tarsus dimorphism applied to garridoi as well..I'll leave "her" alone for a couple of days to harden up and then i'll check that out.

Thanks a lot Wink

Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted   Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Empty12/10/2011, 2:59 pm

Nice pic! Gorgeous scorp you have there Smile
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

PostSubject: Re: Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted   Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Empty12/11/2011, 10:38 am

Thanks Bex .. Nice to know i'm not the only one who thinks these scorps look so delicious Wink

Last edited by Den on 12/12/2011, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted   Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Empty12/11/2011, 10:02 pm

Den wrote:

Excellent GS .. I wasn't aware that the tarsus dimorphism applied to garridoi as well..I'll leave "her" alone for a couple of days to harden up and then i'll check that out.

Thanks a lot Wink

Yes, their tarsus dimorphism are identical to Rhopalurus junceus.
I'll post a macro on mine soon but this is something i found on scorpion-files:

Rhopalurus garridoi male:

Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted R_garridoi3

As mentioned, sexual dimorphism is significant from 6.instar, hence if you do not see the "noticeable "tooth" on the moveable finger (tarsus) with the fixed finger (tibia) slightly curved (resulting in a gap between the tibia and tarsus when the chela is fully closed)" , your 6.instar specimen will identified as a female.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted   Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Empty12/12/2011, 10:56 am

Very nice looking specie!
Looks to me like a mixture of A.A. hector, P. cavimanus, and H. tamulus. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Den
Babycurus
Den

PostSubject: Re: Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted   Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Empty12/12/2011, 11:37 am

Hmm..I've got 4 of these that i brought in at instar 5 with another one moulting last night (within 3 days of the other one) and that one is also looking like a sub adult female to .. Only 2 more to moult and i'm now wondering if garridoi shares the similar trait to many other Rhopalurus species wherein males are rare ... It won't surprise me!. Is that anything you know about GS?.....and here's a close up of her chela...pretty conclusive then eh..Wink

Yeh, they are nice looking scorps Dolby..If i get a male (and i will one way or another) and manage to get some young out of them i'll send you a few if you want..Wink .. So if i calculate approx 3 or 4 months until final moult coupled with a gestation period of approx 4 months that shouldn't be to long to wait...

Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Dim10
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted   Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Empty12/13/2011, 3:59 am

Quote :
i'll send you a few if you want..

Sure, I never refuse scorps Smile Specially from Germany, have noticed until now that the shipping from there is pretty top on. Haven't had even one scorpling die during transport until now.

In fact, I'm just waiting for the spring to get some more species from there.
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

PostSubject: Re: Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted   Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Empty12/13/2011, 5:25 am

Quote :
I'm just waiting for the spring to get some more species

I know that feeling Wink ... I was hoping to get to Hamm market last weekend but work commitments didn't allow it and while i could take a drive southwards to pick a few scorpions up i'd rather wait until the spring now and get them posted. Yeh, i can't fault the postal system here either although i did experienced a death a couple of months ago but that had more to do with the sender than the post.

Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted   Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Empty12/13/2011, 5:39 am

You're lucky you have lots of dealers more or less local. I can't find anything else than overly expensive emps here. From DE by post is usually 3-5 days only so as long as the weather is ok, it's not a big problem.
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

PostSubject: Re: Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted   Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Empty12/16/2011, 12:51 pm

Quote :
i'm now wondering if garridoi shares the similar trait to many other Rhopalurus species wherein males are rare

Panic is over..Wink...This guy moulted today and in my mind there's no doubt about the sex....It's still fresh and soft so i don't want to disturb it to much with a side shot of the chela but check out the chunky chela and metasoma compared with the first picture...This guy has gotta be a male..Wink

Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Malega10

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted   Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted Empty

Back to top Go down

Rhopalurus garridoi freshly moulted
Page 1 of 1