The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

scorp still not moulted from 23rd december

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
parabola1352
Pandinus

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-12-22

scorp still not moulted from 23rd december Empty
PostSubject: scorp still not moulted from 23rd december   scorp still not moulted from 23rd december Empty3/31/2014, 11:12 am

hi was wondering if anyone had any tips I've had my baby scorp since December 23rd and still haven't had one moult yet. I've been feeding every 2-3 days but recently i noticed the roaches i put in had been burying themselves in the dirt sometimes so he hasn't got them.

would it be recommended to put in a new tub with kitchen roll in to make sure its eating and the food isn't just hiding away? its a young Heterometrus I'm not too sure exactly what it is yet. I keep on top of my beardies viv so its at around 25-27 degrees.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: scorp still not moulted from 23rd december   scorp still not moulted from 23rd december Empty3/31/2014, 6:23 pm

You keep your scorpion enclosure on top of your beardie viv which must mean it's being heated from the bottom. This is bad because Heterometrus spp is a burrowing scorp....they burrow for amongst other things, to escape heat. If you measure 25-27c in the enclosure, it'll be much warmer lower in the substrate....Keeping the substrate moist must also be challenging if it's constantly heated from the bottom.
AFS's (heterometrus spp, Asian Forest Scorpions) should have a deep damp substrate (at least 4 or 5 inches, preferably much more for larger specimens) that should be compacted to allow for stable tunnels, a daytime temp in the high 20's, minimum stress and a varied diet.

With regards to diet you should try and obtain another prey type/s that doesn't burrow....crickets, grasshoppers, larvae and of course non burrowing cockroach species are all obvious choices. Try and slip such a prey item into it's enclosure in the evening. If it's still in there the following day, remove it and don't try again for a week/10 days. Keep that routine going, being sure to remove the prey item if not eaten by the following day until the scorp moults. A fortnight after moult you can increase the feeding frequency again.

I also suggest you might want to search this forum and others for tons of threads/posts about heterometrus ss/AFS's....you'll be surprised just how much there is.

Incidentally, AFS's are slow growing scorps...a 3-5 month duration between lower instar moults is totally normal....if there's environmental or stress related problems that duration could easily be longer..........and no, don't force prey items on your scorp....they don't need any lessons in catching prey. If a scorp is hungry it WILL catch and eat...forcing prey items on them only stress's them. In the wild a prey item would be outta there if it could...stuck in an enclosure all it does is constantly stress's the scorpion with it's presence......also, if your scorp should moult with prey items in the enclosure there's always a chance that the prey item might kill the scorpion (crickets are notorious for munching on freshly moulted defenceless scorpions) or mess the moulting process up by walking over the moulting scorpion (some cockroaches and grasshoppers will do this)....

Back to top Go down
parabola1352
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: scorp still not moulted from 23rd december   scorp still not moulted from 23rd december Empty4/1/2014, 12:27 pm

my bedroom is usually around 25ish degrees C i suppose i wont need any other heating equipment with this temperature? ill change my scorp into a bigger tub so i can put a deeper substrate in. thanks for all the tips i read some care sheets online and it seems 90% of them are incorrect.

and i purchased some crickets yesterday so will try on those and you are correct i was spraying the substrate every other day to keep it moist just goes to show sometimes caresheets on the net are worthless :p

thanks again for your help and ill certainly read up more on this forum since you guys know what you are talking about Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: scorp still not moulted from 23rd december   scorp still not moulted from 23rd december Empty4/2/2014, 12:38 pm

So is some of the advice on forums haha. Jebus, I've written some crap at times  Laughing.

Den has offered some great help. If your room temperature definitely stays at 25c for most of the time you'll probably get away without any additional heat. Personally though, I'd add a heat mat to bump up the temperature a few degrees during the day.
Back to top Go down
parabola1352
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: scorp still not moulted from 23rd december   scorp still not moulted from 23rd december Empty4/3/2014, 3:04 am

i should have a heat mat coming today ive got a spare thermostat somewhere so hopefully itll all be sorted today Very Happy thanks again
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: scorp still not moulted from 23rd december   scorp still not moulted from 23rd december Empty4/3/2014, 11:43 am

Cool  Smile
Back to top Go down
parabola1352
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: scorp still not moulted from 23rd december   scorp still not moulted from 23rd december Empty4/5/2014, 6:32 am

set up is all complete with 3-4 inches damp slightly compacted eco earth for it to burrow in but both my scorps seem to just go into their hides instead of burrowing
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: scorp still not moulted from 23rd december   scorp still not moulted from 23rd december Empty4/6/2014, 6:40 am

Pretty normal behaviour. They'll probably begin to create burrows soon.
Back to top Go down
parabola1352
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: scorp still not moulted from 23rd december   scorp still not moulted from 23rd december Empty4/6/2014, 3:32 pm

My red claw has now dug a burrow and my giant hissing has finally shed Very Happy looks like the heat mat on the back and slightly compacted deep damp substrate made all the difference thank a lot for your advice hopefully they will now live a good life in the right conditions Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: scorp still not moulted from 23rd december   scorp still not moulted from 23rd december Empty

Back to top Go down

scorp still not moulted from 23rd december
Page 1 of 1