The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating

Go down 
+3
H. laoticus
Kerrby
lordpotato
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-11-04

2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty
PostSubject: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/4/2010, 10:03 pm

I got 2 new emps last thursday and one seems to quite "fat/pregnant"... cant really tell. She has some of the signs of a prego but im not sure... there is spacing in the back plates... agressive to my misting but not agressive to the other emp. Also i put 6 pinheads in and i cant tell if they are eating... i have found 2 white poop things and i have 2/3 crickets still running from the misting. Also when do they start burrowing.... i have made 3 starter burrows(2 under logs and 1 under a rock) and at first both had there own burrow, then prego started sleeping near one of the water bowls and now nonpreg is sleeping on preg in the same burrow. Also if it helps they seem pretty young, they are about 3 inches and my substrate is about 2 or 3 inches deep and the temp goes from 72 to 82(dang texas weather). and i mist about twice a day. Also they are in a 55 gallon tank.
Back to top Go down
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2010-08-30

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 12:28 am

Without seeing a photo, I doubt anyone can tell you whether she's just gorged herself, is preganant, or preparing for a molt. If you suspect pregnancy, please isolate one of the scorpions into a different tank.

Scorpions might not eat for months at a time. They can go up to a year without food, so don't worry about that too much. I doubt there is a scorpion alive that has starved itself to death. When they get hungry, or less stressed, they'll eat.

Depending on their behaviors and their climate, they may start burrowing immediately, or they might never burrow. It depends on a lot of factors, such as heat, humidity, substrate level, stress level, and even personal scorpion choice.

Btw, that is a huge tank. For two, a 10gallon would be more than enough.

Try adding atleast 4 inches of substrate, and ensure that it is "dirt like" (coco fibre being the [generally considered] best) and not "wood" or "chip".

Ask per the temperature, if you can raise it to 80-86 your scorps are going to be much happier, more active, and likely healthier.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 2:38 am

Make sure the substrate itself is able to support burrows. Damp and packed down coco-fiber works well in holding burrows.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 7:14 am

hi welcome to the forum Very Happy

If your emp is gravid (prego) it will have to be adult, juvinille scorpions cannot get gravid, also pinheads will be too small for emps this size try giving them adult crickets, their food needs to be big enough for them to catch/hold but also small enough to fit in there pedipalp (claw)

Also as you have not long had them i wouldnt worry about them not eating some tend to take a while to get used to their new home so wont eat, while others eat straight away it all depends on the individual scorpion.
Back to top Go down
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 5:04 pm

ok thanks... btw i am using coco fiber and i noticed something else.... the teslon stinger thing on both of them are black... ill also try and get photos up as soon as possible. oh and one more thing... whats with the signatures where they got the scientific name followed by the numbers or vice versa.
Back to top Go down
Manser
Babycurus
Manser

Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2010-09-30

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 5:10 pm

the signature is just so people can see what scorpions you have got thats all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bludgeon213
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 5:13 pm

is the orders of the numbers important?
Back to top Go down
Manser
Babycurus
Manser

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 5:15 pm

nah, some people do it one way some the others, do what ever makes more sense to you
Back to top Go down
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 5:17 pm

well do you think its important that there teslons are black?
Back to top Go down
Manser
Babycurus
Manser

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 5:22 pm

are you sure that you have got an emp and not a h. spinifer
Back to top Go down
Manser
Babycurus
Manser

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 5:23 pm

h. spinifer have a blackish telson
Back to top Go down
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 5:24 pm

it said african emperor scorpion
Back to top Go down
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 5:29 pm

i looked both of them up and they look just like both species...
Back to top Go down
Manser
Babycurus
Manser

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 5:31 pm

have you got anyway of taking a photo of your scorps and uploading them??
Back to top Go down
Manser
Babycurus
Manser

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 5:32 pm

ive been to a few pet store where they have miss-named h. spinifer and called them emps. if you can bro take a pic and up-load
Back to top Go down
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 5:58 pm

this is my supposed gravid one2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating 3

this is my non gravid one2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating 4

and this is my tank2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating 5
Back to top Go down
Manser
Babycurus
Manser

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 6:57 pm

pic's aint coming up. you could try using photobucket, you upload your photo to photobucket n then copy the IMG code and paste it in your message.
Back to top Go down
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 6:59 pm

ok... im gonna do that soon
Back to top Go down
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 7:09 pm

here is my maybe gravid
2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Scorppics

here is my non gravid
2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Anotherscorppic

and my tank
2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Scorpionpics
Back to top Go down
Manser
Babycurus
Manser

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 7:16 pm

to me that looks like a h. spinifer, the black telson and pincers.
Back to top Go down
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 7:18 pm

im gonna get a few more peeps to tell me what they think but i think you are right... there not much different from emps right?
Back to top Go down
Manser
Babycurus
Manser

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 7:19 pm

also if you say your scorp is only 3 inch's long then that fat one looks like its pre-molt, they wont become gravid untill there adults.
Back to top Go down
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 7:21 pm

what color is the teslon on one about to moult?
Back to top Go down
Manser
Babycurus
Manser

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 7:22 pm

they do look similar and ive seen them confussed before, i mean hell i might be wrong, but ive not really seen an emp with a black telson.
Back to top Go down
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty11/5/2010, 7:26 pm

well yep.... do afs do well with emps?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating   2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating Empty

Back to top Go down

2 new emps... dont know if one is preg and if they are eating
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next