The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

[Discussion] Parabuthus spp.

Go down 
+54
thegromgrom
~Abyss~
Yames
F1refly
toidy
jeblbej
Parabuthus21
Scorpion19981000
lmiller
shadowfoot
Andrew Leigh
meteor
shebeen
liocheles
shining
Obeah
Henderson
beene38
AnthonyNeubauer
tfleming
Annababe
leiurusSaleen820
Will3
Chrome
Jay
Cyanide
Streettrash
Bedlam
tlb_05
DolbyR
pluto
spinnin_tom
Envyizm
patrickm
Vin Diesel
BradPitbull
gudb0i
Buggs
Dracennights
*~BEX~*
levi
Mr. Mordax
Canth
Kristopher
Jorpion
Manser
Lester
TELOW
iitomodachi1
Kerrby
H. laoticus
Scott Land
anemiaffx
**GS**
58 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

[Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/2/2010, 1:22 am

Manser wrote:
so envious of you gs lol

Get some of them Manser bro!
I always believe if you wanted something badly.. sooner or later you will get it.
If not, you will get something even better.. Beautiful scorps should be shared Very Happy

iitomodachi1 wrote:
Thanks GS, I'm like a 4 year old at Christmas. I'm about ready to purchase else where though if I don't hear something soon, and if I get the original order then, either I'll have a lot of PT's or I'll sell them.

Manser - don't be envious of me man, I'm feelin the same as you except I am able to have them and am stuck waiting for eternity!! I wanna scream!!

I hear you on that one bro. You can never get enough of them if time and space allows.
I'm getting another P.Trans adult pair and I sincerely hope all things goes well and they'll reach me safely next week.
I'll be happy to be your backup plan Smile
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/2/2010, 1:48 am

Awesome, thanks Bro, I appreciate that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/2/2010, 9:10 am

Sir gs..how often should i feed my scorp?should i feed her nymph,juvie,or adult lats?
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/2/2010, 10:04 am

levi wrote:
Sir gs..how often should i feed my scorp?should i feed her nymph,juvie,or adult lats?

Hi levi,

they can take on lats up to their own body size or sometime even bigger (depending on their level of hunger).
But you might wish to start the first feeding of lats which is half your P Tran's body size.. kind of a way to let your P.Trans gain some level of confidence in their new enclosure Smile

Also, if you intend to include some variety to your P Trans' diet (which is advisable), give them small feeders which is less then half its size so that their stomach will not be filled to the brim in just one sitting. My P Trans diet is made of of 50% B.Lateralis (High in nutrient value), 45% crickets (for the high water content) and 5% mealworm (kinda fatty but just for the variety)

In case you miss this vid i posted few weeks ago, enjoy!

Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/2/2010, 11:11 am

GS wrote:
levi wrote:

Hi levi,

they can take on lats up to their own body size or sometime even bigger (depending on their level of hunger).
But you might wish to start the first feeding of lats which is half your P Tran's body size.. kind of a way to let your P.Trans gain some level of confidence in their new enclosure Smile

Also, if you intend to include some variety to your P Trans' diet (which is advisable), give them small feeders which is less then half its size so that their stomach will not be filled to the brim in just one sitting. My P Trans diet is made of of 50% B.Lateralis (High in nutrient value), 45% crickets (for the high water content) and 5% mealworm (kinda fatty but just for the variety)

In case you miss this vid i posted few weeks ago, enjoy!

Great Breakdown GS! I hadn't thought about switching it up like that. I have tossed in stuff to help get rid of it, like superworms but never fed regularly. Just had em' because I helped my son build a super worm farm. This is great info and not always thought of! Thanks for posting it up!
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/2/2010, 5:01 pm

Awesome video!! I really want one!
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/2/2010, 7:02 pm

Thanks sir gs..cool explanation..
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/2/2010, 9:48 pm

iitomodachi1 wrote:
Great Breakdown GS! I hadn't thought about switching it up like that. I have tossed in stuff to help get rid of it, like superworms but never fed regularly. Just had em' because I helped my son build a super worm farm. This is great info and not always thought of! Thanks for posting it up!

Welcome Bro, am just sharing the little things i find useful Very Happy
Wow superworm farm.. thats cool! I only have a B. Lateralis colony going on. If only i have the space to start one for my worm supply.. heheh

231bex wrote:

Grab them Bex! I'm sure they will enjoy your exotic desert enclosures Twisted Evil

levi wrote:

No prob levi bro Smile
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/2/2010, 10:48 pm

GS wrote:
iitomodachi1 wrote:

Welcome Bro, am just sharing the little things i find useful Very Happy
Wow superworm farm.. thats cool! I only have a B. Lateralis colony going on. If only i have the space to start one for my worm supply.. heheh

231bex wrote:

Grab them Bex! I'm sure they will enjoy your exotic desert enclosures Twisted Evil

levi wrote:

No prob levi bro Smile

You could swing it. I basically did the exact same thing as I had found posted on here for a D.I.Y. Meal Worm Farm a little while back. I'm forgetting the guys name that posted it up. It was really informative and really well done and definitely works Smile All of our superworms pupated into darkling beetles now I'm just waiting to find some babies Smile The darkling beetles I thought had a life expectancy of 3-4 weeks and mine are now past 2 months so I must be doing something right.
Still love your pics man and thanks for offering me a back up plan Very Happy
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/2/2010, 11:24 pm

No prob bro. I just think its a cool thing that we can share similar interests here and trade of scorps to make this hobby alive! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/2/2010, 11:49 pm

Yep,im telling my friend about my p trans..hehe,by the way how often should i feed her?
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/3/2010, 12:06 am

levi wrote:
Yep,im telling my friend about my p trans..hehe,by the way how often should i feed her?

Depending on the size of the feeder you gave i guess. For me, twice a week (feeder of 1/2 their body size) for sub-adults and below, when they reaches adulthood once a week will do.

If you like to keep them active, you might want to give them smaller portions (small Lats or crickets, 1/3 of your P Trans' body size) and spread out like 2-3 times a week. As i believe for sub-adults and below, they'll need more nutrients for them to grow as compared to adults. Another bonus factor is you'll be able to see more hunting actions too.. heheh
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/3/2010, 2:41 am

Good work, GS!

I've switched to B. lateralis as well and I've gotta say they're a hell of a lot better as feeders for scorpions than B. dubia are. These B. lats are fast and soft at the same time, making them great prey for my scorpions Smile
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/3/2010, 3:24 am

H. laoticus wrote:
Good work, GS!

I've switched to B. lateralis as well and I've gotta say they're a hell of a lot better as feeders for scorpions than B. dubia are. These B. lats are fast and soft at the same time, making them great prey for my scorpions Smile
Thanks Bro Smile

Yeah +1 on the things you mentioned about B. Lateralis. Other good things about them are:

1)They do not burrow and they are always on the surface of the substrates. You can easily remove them if they are not eaten.

2)Their speed is highly effective in triggering the killer instinct in Scorps and Ts

3)They are easy to breed and reproduces very FAST if keep in the right conditions.

4)Their egg cases can be easily separate into another container and have them all growing to the exact size you want!
Back to top Go down
Dracennights
Centruroides
Dracennights

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/3/2010, 4:47 am

I was under the impression that meal warms where not as nutritious as crickets...I'm interested in starting a feeder farm of some sorts due to having to buy 150-200 crickets a week right now and to be honest I would rather it not be crickets my wife is afraid of them.. ya crickets and not scorpions or tarantulas or snakes...LOL
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/3/2010, 5:11 am

Well said, GS!

Yes, Dracennights, meal worms have a high fat content and not a high meat to shell ratio. Roaches beat both crickets and worms to that Smile
Try B. lateralis roaches. They are cheap, and fulfill all of the things GS mentioned above, which all add up to mean they win the Best Scorpion Prey Award.
I'm not sure how your wife will take to roaches then, haha.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/3/2010, 5:40 am

H. laoticus wrote:
Well said, GS!

Yes, Dracennights, meal worms have a high fat content and not a high meat to shell ratio. Roaches beat both crickets and worms to that Smile
Try B. lateralis roaches. They are cheap, and fulfill all of the things GS mentioned above, which all add up to mean they win the Best Scorpion Prey Award.
I'm not sure how your wife will take to roaches then, haha.

lolz yeah.. i see what you mean..

In my situation, my wife freaks out at the sight of any bugs which is black or anything similar to roaches and she'll readily jump on me whether if i'm prepared or not once she sees any of them [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 8072 Laughing
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/3/2010, 9:57 am

Could they kill mealworm?they are fat and kinda smooth..i think my lil ptrans could not grab it yet..haha,better stick to lats eh?
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/3/2010, 10:53 am

levi wrote:
Could they kill mealworm?they are fat and kinda smooth..i think my lil ptrans could not grab it yet..haha,better stick to lats eh?

If a small H Hottentotta can grab an even larger superworm. I think your P Trans is good to go Very Happy
That being said, give mealworm only once in a blue moon.. say 1 in every 2 months for me.

Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/3/2010, 11:03 am

I actually had a harder time breeding lats than I did other roaches -- I like the fact that they don't burrow, but they could also outrun most of my scorps.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/3/2010, 12:38 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
I actually had a harder time breeding lats than I did other roaches -- I like the fact that they don't burrow, but they could also outrun most of my scorps.

True enough., take some agility of the scorps to catch them. Thats the reason we should not use too big of an enclosure i guess. Sometimes the lats are dumb and will just run in panic.. along the perimeter of the tank and right back to the scorp. lol..

In other times when my scorps all not really hungry.. they just keep on delivering pinch to the lats till they are left only with a few legs.. thats when they cant go fast anymore.. heheh
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/3/2010, 6:28 pm

Nice vid GS. Hopefully I'll get my hands on an HD vid recorder and do some feeding vids, too. It was hilarious to see the scorpion slowly approach the meal worm and then everything explodes into an all out brawl. I hate how they burrow though!

I've had a lot of success feeding all of my bark scorpions the B. lateralis roaches. But yes, it's better to feed in a smaller space because they are fast and they do get wary of the predators over time. However, my scorpions have had no problems getting their claws on them and my C. gracilis have especially surprised me with their speed.
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/4/2010, 9:46 am

Feeding cookie my ptrans is awesome..she had a hard time catching the roach..then one poke of her tail..boom one dead roach,then nom nom nom..very very cool
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/4/2010, 12:13 pm

GS wrote:

would love to but they are in the buthidae family so not allowed Sad
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty12/6/2010, 12:16 am

Ops, sry about that bex. I've always hate these restrictions just becos some stupid peeps who ruin the whole game.. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

[Discussion] Parabuthus spp.
Page 4 of 28Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 28  Next