The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Quick Health Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2010-08-30

Quick Health Question Empty
PostSubject: Quick Health Question   Quick Health Question Empty9/1/2010, 5:13 am

Hey, just a quick question for everyone else out there, 2 or so hours of pouring over the internet failed to help me find anything.

My scorpion seems to have "white" chalk (kind of like whiteout spots) on her right claw, side, and section of her tail. The spots aren't raised or moving, but every day there seems to be a little bit more.

I'm wondering if my scorp has a health problem, getting ready to moult, or just pooping on herself (classy girl she is).

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Quick Health Question   Quick Health Question Empty9/1/2010, 8:09 am

Can you get a picture for us? It would be easier for everyone to diagnose then Smile
Back to top Go down
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

PostSubject: Re: Quick Health Question   Quick Health Question Empty9/1/2010, 2:13 pm

Sadly I don't own a camera, and my cellphone doesn't take very quality photos.

I'll try to hunt one down, but any suggestions until I get a picture posted would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Quick Health Question   Quick Health Question Empty9/1/2010, 2:35 pm

My scorpions had these on there pedipalps. Ive found 2 possible outcomes of what causes this: A - Since scorpions poop where they sleep, it tends to get on them and such and it tends to stick to them and cause this
B - If you use chlorinated water, when it tends to dry, sometimes it leaves a calcium build up and it is very possible that thats what is on your scorpion.

Mine had these as well and i changed to purified water and as far as i can tell, it stopped.
Back to top Go down
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

PostSubject: Re: Quick Health Question   Quick Health Question Empty9/1/2010, 2:50 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Currently I've been using bottled/purified water for everything (misting, water dishes, etc).

I've been thinking it's poop. Looks like whiteout, and after a ton of searching, the only references to "white" and "scorpion" i've found are mites and poops, and I know it's not mites.

I just hope thats all it is.

If there are other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

PostSubject: Re: Quick Health Question   Quick Health Question Empty9/1/2010, 8:22 pm

Id suggest just misting the top layers, everything else id just pour the water directly onto the substrate...Its much easier this way.
Back to top Go down
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

PostSubject: Re: Quick Health Question   Quick Health Question Empty9/2/2010, 12:22 am

Yeah, I've actually taken up doing that after it was suggested in another thread. It's keeping my humidity up by another 10%, and I mist usually only because 1 squirt on the hide triggers her to come out and explore now. (I think she got used to it... are scorpions that smart? Who knows? Laughing )

Thanks though, good looking out.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

PostSubject: Re: Quick Health Question   Quick Health Question Empty9/2/2010, 1:16 pm

Well as i have heard from other, Scorpions cannot learn apparently. So it may seem that way, but they are not quite as advanced as much as other animals in this world. So you could pick it up the same way at the same time everyday, and it would still act hostile towards you. That is untill its heart gave out....
Back to top Go down
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

PostSubject: Re: Quick Health Question   Quick Health Question Empty9/2/2010, 2:02 pm

Haha. Which explains why every single day my scorp tries to climb up the same corner of the glass... only to fall over and end up on her back. Laughing
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Quick Health Question   Quick Health Question Empty9/3/2010, 5:08 pm

anemiaffx wrote:
but they are not quite as advanced as much as other animals in this world. So you could pick it up the same way at the same time everyday, and it would still act hostile towards you. That is untill its heart gave out....

That's one of the amazing things about scorps - their survival strategy though is clearly very successful as they've lived on the planet for the last 450 million years or so (longer than snakes or crocs).
Back to top Go down
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

PostSubject: Re: Quick Health Question   Quick Health Question Empty9/3/2010, 7:48 pm

Haha. And that's what I love. The scorpion is always on guard. For survival, that's probably the smartest thing you can do.

For collectors, you can be assured, they are always interesting!

Quick update, the white spots aren't growing, moving, spreading, or shrinking. Who knows, but she seems pretty happy, she's eating good, resting during the day, active at night, and gaining no holes in her body.

Probably poop then I'm thinking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick Health Question   Quick Health Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Quick Health Question
Page 1 of 1