The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Red Clawed not Eating?!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nathy
Pandinus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Red Clawed not Eating?! Empty
PostSubject: Red Clawed not Eating?!   Red Clawed not Eating?! Empty8/22/2010, 6:04 pm

Hey, Im new, and really glad theres a forum on scorpions!

Im new to having a pet scorpion, so anything which may be obvious, may seem a bit of a worry for myself.

I have had 1 red clawed scorpion for about a month before I had to take it back to the shop because it wasnt eating (& to date about 2 months later, still not eaten)

Now I have another one, eating fine in the shop, but nothing for the past 2 weeks ish?

I feed it exactly the same size food as it had before (size 3 Locusts) and I have it in a small tub for it to catch its prey easily.

Is it normal?
Does it not like my wall paper..?

cheer s
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Red Clawed not Eating?!   Red Clawed not Eating?! Empty8/22/2010, 11:59 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum Smile

Here is a link to frequently asked questions on emperor scorpions and if you have a red claw or Pandinus cavimanus, the care and such is almost identical (except for them being a tad drier I believe).
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/the-burrow-in-ghana-emperor-zone-f34/frequently-asked-questions-about-emperor-scorpions-p-imperator-t13.htm

Don't worry about it not eating, it's perfectly normal as they may fast for very long periods of time.
After reading the link, you should browse the forum for more useful information on how to set up a good home for your scorpion. Don't hesitate to ask questions, there are always plenty of members willing to help.
Back to top Go down
Nathy
Pandinus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Red Clawed not Eating?!   Red Clawed not Eating?! Empty8/23/2010, 6:44 am

Thats great thanks a lot!

My current viv is quiet large, so I was told by the petshop owner to put it in a small tub (Chinese Takeaway style) when I feed it because it cannot catch its prey in large vivs.

Is that right?

x
Back to top Go down
tel0s
Pandinus

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Red Clawed not Eating?!   Red Clawed not Eating?! Empty8/23/2010, 7:35 am

Nathy wrote:
Thats great thanks a lot!

My current viv is quiet large, so I was told by the petshop owner to put it in a small tub (Chinese Takeaway style) when I feed it because it cannot catch its prey in large vivs.

Is that right?

x

Depending on the size of your viv, and the size of your scorp, yes that's correct. however if your viv is not rediculously large, and your scorpion not very small, then leaving a cricket or three in overnight in its normal viv should not be an issue. it will roam around at night and find them if it's hungry. How large is your scorpion and viv?

I'd try and find a way where you didnt have to keep moving the scorpion between the chinese tub and the vivarium you keep it in, as moving it around regularly could cause undue stress. I have a 3i Heterometrus Swammerdami that I have a large vivarium for, however for the time being, Im permanently keeping it in a small plastic sealed tub, (roughly the size of a shoebox) so as not to cause it undue stress moving it around. Perhaps this might be a way to go?
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Red Clawed not Eating?!   Red Clawed not Eating?! Empty8/23/2010, 8:58 am

Welcome cheers

As above, try not to keep moving your scorp to feed it as it will cause undue amounts of stress.

Your other option in terms of feeding, is to drop in one cricket near the scorp or it's burrow and wait to see if it takes it.

If it refuses the food item, remove item and try again in about 4 days time.

They can go a year without food, so not eating isn't something you should be worried about. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red Clawed not Eating?!   Red Clawed not Eating?! Empty

Back to top Go down

Red Clawed not Eating?!
Page 1 of 1