The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Should I be worried? Het not eating

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

Should I be worried? Het not eating Empty
PostSubject: Should I be worried? Het not eating   Should I be worried? Het not eating Empty2/18/2011, 4:06 am

Hello.

I know scorps can stay for long time without food, but I am wondering if I should already start getting worried.
I took my 2 Heterometrus Laoticus scorplings on 15th January. They are siblings, and both are 2nd instars.
When I took them, one of them was noticeably smaller than the other one, but definitely more active.
For the first week, they did not eat at all, but from the 2nd week, one of them is eating like out of mind, I usually feed them a mealworm each saturday, the smaller one always finishes his meal. In one week I gave them on wednesday as well, again, he ate it with pleasure.
Now, the second, bigger one, just doesn't eat. He usually takes the mealworm and drags in it his hide (I have put a couple of barks to form a cave kind of hide) but he doesn't eat it. For the whole month I've had them, this one has actually really ate only about half a mealworm.

At this point, the one that WAS bigger and that is not eating, looks very small compared to the other one. Also, his exoskeleton is still that light bronish/yellowish colour, while the eating one has got huge compared to what hi was, and also his colour is much darker.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
levi
Centruroides
levi

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried? Het not eating   Should I be worried? Het not eating Empty2/18/2011, 9:20 am

Maybe the bigger one is on premolt stage now..
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried? Het not eating   Should I be worried? Het not eating Empty2/18/2011, 9:41 am

levi wrote:
Maybe the bigger one is on premolt stage now..

Holy cow, now I got lost to my own wording... by bigger one, do you mean the not eating one or the one that is now the bigger one in size?

The one that is now bigger in size, coulf in fact be in premolt, I was looking at him last night and he did look quite fat, and he seems to stay more in his hide between the moist barks more than before.

The one not eating, however, looks very thin and who can't actually see the different segments of the exoskeleton that well.

Maybe I should try to get some pictures later if they show up.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried? Het not eating   Should I be worried? Het not eating Empty2/18/2011, 10:38 am

I really wouldnt worry about any scorp not eating some will go months without food others will eat whenever they are fed, our female emp has not eaten for around 2 months now but shes fine she still comes out of an evening and sits under the infrared bulb regulating her temperature

we got 5 H.madras scorplings last year and 3 are growing at a faster rate than the other 2 (all being from the same batch) but they are all healthy so i wouldnt worry to much about size difference either Smile
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried? Het not eating   Should I be worried? Het not eating Empty2/22/2011, 4:15 pm

Well, I'm afraid I should better get ready for the worst. I think the weaker one is dying.
I came back 3h ago and found him with his tail straight and laying on his back.

I moved him into a delicup but he is not moving. Just slightly moves the telson, but that's all.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried? Het not eating   Should I be worried? Het not eating Empty2/22/2011, 4:26 pm

Sorry to hear that always sucks when you loose one Sad
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried? Het not eating   Should I be worried? Het not eating Empty2/22/2011, 6:20 pm

231bex wrote:
Sorry to hear that always sucks when you loose one Sad

Yes, it does. I've never thought you could go so emotionally attached to a scorpion though.

So, to relief my loss, I am considering in bumping up my order.. you know I already ordered 2 pairs of M.Martensii, but I think I will order one more. Still wondering on the species though.

I have the following options to choose from:
Grosphus grandidieri
Grosphus ankarana

Opisthacanthus madagascariensis
Opisthacanthus milloti

Hadrurus arizonensis

Heterometrus phipsoni
Heterometrus madraspatensis
Heterometrus mysorensis
Heterometrus petersi
Heterometrus spinifer 2i
Heterometrus swammerdami

Mesobuthus caucasicus

I'm AGAIN leaning towards H.Arizonensis, although the size of H.Swammerdami and the beauty of H.Madraspatensis and G.Ankarana are quite appealing too. As I still have one H.Laoticus and a P.Imperator, a second desert species could be a nice addition.

I'll gladly take any feedback though.
Back to top Go down
Scorpioooo
Centruroides
Scorpioooo

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried? Het not eating   Should I be worried? Het not eating Empty2/22/2011, 9:33 pm

i just love my H Arizonensis. i got it a month after i got my emperor and i was so glad i did. its way more active and comes out a whole lot more than my emp. also love watching killing his prey with the stinger. You should get one if you never had it Wink
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried? Het not eating   Should I be worried? Het not eating Empty2/25/2011, 4:13 am

How would I be able to preserve the scorpion?
As it was from the first I took, I would like to keep it. It is very small so I dont think I could make it according to Lady Riots taxidermy instructions.

Could I jut put in in alcohol?

I was thinking maybe I could leave make a small glass cube (maybe 5x5x5 cm), and put some moss and bark in there, fill it with alcohol and seal it closed. Would this work?

Or should I try just to keep him on warm/dry and see if he dries out?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I be worried? Het not eating   Should I be worried? Het not eating Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I be worried? Het not eating
Page 1 of 1