The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?

Go down 
+6
~Abyss~
fauxshow
Athlon2k2
Mr. Mordax
Rasputin
Venom
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty
PostSubject: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/6/2008, 8:29 pm

Some guy belittled me for using it.
It's not like a desert setup will deteriorate it.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/6/2008, 8:50 pm

I don't see the problem, it can't be any worse that using a soda cap for water. or, like I have in the past, using a 64oz plastic cup cut in half.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/6/2008, 9:13 pm

What do you think I use in half of my setups? I raised B. jacksoni with chunks of egg carton, all of my cockroaches have cardboard hides . . . the only problem I can see is if it gets moldy or if it's for a display setup.
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/6/2008, 10:36 pm

That's what I say.
Not like they enjoy the view of a rock.
They simply feel.
Back to top Go down
Athlon2k2
Tityus
Athlon2k2

Number of posts : 619

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/6/2008, 11:41 pm

I've used it before. Have of the AZ species can be found under cardboard if placed in the right place.
Back to top Go down
fauxshow
Hadogenes
fauxshow

Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/7/2008, 1:16 am

Not really my style and besides, cardboard smells when wet. I use small strips of wood cut from a long piece, which can be had for less than a dollar. They handle moister well and don't need replacing.

-Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.watchtower.org
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/7/2008, 11:30 am

I use it when I have nothing else to use. It's not that big of a deal but I would avoid it considering the smell and the bacteria that gathers up on it. And the mold...eww mold.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

Number of posts : 503

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/7/2008, 1:41 pm

I've used a cut up cardboard box for my hissing roach tank and for one of my scorpions (I forget which, might have been my P cavimanus). Usually they were just temporary but in a dry set up I fail to see the problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/andrew273
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 12:02 am

its not 'wrong' but you have to change it regularly which would be a timewaster and a bit annoying and also a bit dangerous/difficult if your scorp is poisonus or has babys because it will be quite defensive and will want to protect its "home".
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 12:30 am

_scorpio_ wrote:
if your scorp is poisonus

Last I checked, it was safe to eat scorps. Wink

(Venom = injected, poison = ingested -- all scorps are venomous, none are poisonous)
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 12:33 am

_scorpio_ wrote:
its not 'wrong' but you have to change it regularly which would be a timewaster and a bit annoying and also a bit dangerous/difficult if your scorp is poisonus or has babys because it will be quite defensive and will want to protect its "home".
It's good to give them a "home" we call them "hides" because they need a place to retreat it actually makes them LESS dangerous because they rather run and hide than attack.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 12:34 am

Good point, Eddy -- I've noticed that most of my scorps only get defensive when they're cornered. If they have the chance they usually duck into a hide instead of striking a threat posture.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 1:12 am

IHeartMantids wrote:
_scorpio_ wrote:
if your scorp is poisonus

-- all scorps are venomous,)
well wat about scorpions without tails...they arent and are safe....right???
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 1:17 am

A scorp without a tail is probably in the process of becoming a dead scorp. Razz

Unless you're talking about whipscorpions and such, but those aren't scorpions.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 1:19 am

yea lol.
is there any difference between whip scorpions and whip spiders
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 1:38 am

usually whip spiders refer to tail-less whip scorpions also known as Amblypigids
Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? TanzanianGiantTaillessWhipScorpionWHSp_AP7I.
Whip scorpions refer to vinegaroons
Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Vinegaroon
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 1:49 am

vinegaroons creep me out. Last time I saw a pic I had a nightmare...I was also poorly with a virus...so as im better I hope I dont get another mad dream which wakes him up shouting "VINEGAROON!" hahaha
xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 1:56 am

They're actually pretty cool nothing like holding one in your hand and creeping people out.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 6:19 am

there is NOTHING worse than seeing a camel spider.....uurrrgh that guy was disgusting....how big should they get because this thing was abot 12" long and hanging from a "tent" in the sahara [when i say tent i mean a carpet with too many holes in it].
also i thought the locals would be used to them but the guy who went to get it out of the tent walked in, looked up, screamed [half to himself] and then whacked it as hard as he could wit a slipper and took it outside, dug a 3 foot hole, put it in, set it on fire!!, and buried it

i guess they hate them too
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 7:53 am

there's nothing wrong with using cardboard in a desert setup. its not exactly gonna get soaked and stink the place up, is it? Smile
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 8:50 am

_scorpio_ wrote:
there is NOTHING worse than seeing a camel spider.....uurrrgh that guy was disgusting....how big should they get because this thing was abot 12" long and hanging from a "tent" in the sahara [when i say tent i mean a carpet with too many holes in it].
also i thought the locals would be used to them but the guy who went to get it out of the tent walked in, looked up, screamed [half to himself] and then whacked it as hard as he could wit a slipper and took it outside, dug a 3 foot hole, put it in, set it on fire!!, and buried it

i guess they hate them too
I've seen so many people being freaked out by those.
But to me they don't look scary, they look like umm nothing.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 11:06 am

yes the common ones are...just spidery... but this one was one of those ones that exists to be disgusting and awesomely fearsome
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty4/12/2008, 11:25 am

I love them. They completly rip off cricket head when they eat.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?   Is it wrong to use carboard as hides? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it wrong to use carboard as hides?
Page 1 of 1