The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

What hides should i get?

Go down 
+2
Jorpion
binksyboy3
6 posters
AuthorMessage
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

What hides should i get? Empty
PostSubject: What hides should i get?   What hides should i get? Empty3/23/2009, 3:24 am

I have two emperor scorpions and one of which is quite heavily gravid.
I am planning to buy some perfectly sized terracotta plant pots from homebase. Is this alright material? Some people buy plastic but i'd rather have terracotta.
Back to top Go down
Jorpion
Pandinus
Jorpion

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: What hides should i get?   What hides should i get? Empty3/23/2009, 3:32 am

Terracotta works great! Just rinse them off when you get home and you're good to go. An added benefit is that because they absorb water so well, they're a good gauge for when you need to add more water to your scorp's cage. Cork bark is also a nice substitute being that it is naturally mold and mildew resistant. I'd go with the terracotta though Smile
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: What hides should i get?   What hides should i get? Empty3/23/2009, 9:49 am

I personally use bog wood. especially pieces that make for great caves. cork bark is also good but i find that the crickets tend to eat through it and hide in it.
terracotta works just as well, it all depends on what 'look' you are going for lol.

personally i like the natural look.

I have a gravid het. madraspatensis who has dug under the bog wood and the natural curve makes for a lovely consealed entrance
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: What hides should i get?   What hides should i get? Empty3/23/2009, 12:02 pm

I like bogwood too, and "natural" appearance. but, if your wood is craggy with lots of nooks and cranies crickets will take advantage and hide in them.
terracota works just as well... anything can be made into a hide.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: What hides should i get?   What hides should i get? Empty3/23/2009, 1:53 pm

Does bogwood mold?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: What hides should i get?   What hides should i get? Empty3/23/2009, 4:10 pm

nope, that's why it's good. Smile
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: What hides should i get?   What hides should i get? Empty3/23/2009, 4:13 pm

ok, so they like it then?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: What hides should i get?   What hides should i get? Empty3/23/2009, 4:40 pm

well.. I'm not 100% sure if they like it.. but they probably do lol.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: What hides should i get?   What hides should i get? Empty3/24/2009, 2:46 am

ok, thanks
Back to top Go down
diabollicallycursed
Babycurus
diabollicallycursed

Number of posts : 365
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: What hides should i get?   What hides should i get? Empty3/27/2009, 2:23 am

you can buy hides from the your local pet store.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: What hides should i get?   What hides should i get? Empty3/27/2009, 6:12 am

The b. jacksoni have a big tambori wood log and some cork bark with plants to play on once they reach adulthood.

The u. mordax will have slate pieces stuck in the excavator/sand/coco fiber to dig scrapes under. I also plan to add some wood for them to climb on and to enhance the look of the tank...they won't be ready for the communal tank for quite some time, but the plan is there.

The p. militaris is getting a coconut hut hide with deep coco fiber and a false bottom for burrowing fun.

The h. spadix is getting a fake rock exo terra hide/cave, cactus and lots of excavator clay/sand to dig in

There are so many hide options out there. Reearch your species...bark scorpions need bark/wood to hang out on. Burrowing species don't really "need" a hide...you can use one to provide them with a starting point to dig, or to use if the substrate isn't deep enough to burrow in. Basically see what the scorpion needs and then use your preference for decor. I still have my futuristic cork tile cubby structure for a communal tank project down the road. Get ideas from the internet, pet stores, enclosure pic threads off the forums...your imagination is the only limit. Designing an epic enclosure set up can be half the fun of this hobby.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What hides should i get?   What hides should i get? Empty

Back to top Go down

What hides should i get?
Page 1 of 1