The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Using terra cotta for hides?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Using terra cotta for hides? Empty
PostSubject: Using terra cotta for hides?   Using terra cotta for hides? Empty5/19/2011, 1:21 pm

Has anyone had any problems using pieces of terra cotta flower pots as hides for Emperor scorps?
I'm concerned that a terra cotta hide would act as a refrigerator as moisture evaporated from its surface.
I have a terra cotta wine chiller that uses evaporation and it works quite well. Perhaps an inch or so of
coco fiber over the hide would minimize any evaporation?
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Using terra cotta for hides?   Using terra cotta for hides? Empty5/19/2011, 2:05 pm

Clay and clayworks heat up easily.. if you can minimize the amount of UV light falling on it, the less it will heat up = less water evaporated. So yes, I think you have a solid plan covering it up!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Using terra cotta for hides?   Using terra cotta for hides? Empty5/19/2011, 2:26 pm

I suspect you ment to say IR light, rather than UV light, since IR light is basically heat and UV light is harmful to scorpions.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Using terra cotta for hides?   Using terra cotta for hides? Empty5/19/2011, 2:37 pm

Yes shebeen, i meant to say IR. Sorry...

I am an avid enthousiast of heating and lighting during daytimes with an ordinary bulb though. IR at night.... Makes up for a natural day/night cycle.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Using terra cotta for hides?   Using terra cotta for hides? Empty5/22/2011, 1:42 pm

It appears that my concerns are unfounded. I did some experiments and the temperature inside the
terra cotta hide stays pretty much constant, even after a through misting where the surface of the hide
became plenty wet. It also didn't matter if the hide was on the warm side of viv under an IR heat lamp
(~87F) or the cool side of the viv next to a side mounted heat mat (~79F). Misting dropped the temp
outside the hide by 5 to 6 degrees while inside the hide the temp dropped 1 degree. After misting, the
external temps returned to "normal" in about 20 minutes for the warm side and about 60 minutes for
the cool side (the heat mat is only 8W and the IR lamp is 65W on a rheostat). The tests were done
in a 10 gal. viv (20Lx10Wx12H) with 4in of coco fiber. There were no scorps in the viv during the tests.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Using terra cotta for hides?   Using terra cotta for hides? Empty5/22/2011, 1:49 pm

That is actually an awesome result seeing your temps stay somewhat the same in the hide.
Nice to have someone here who is thorough and bases his result on empyrical test results.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using terra cotta for hides?   Using terra cotta for hides? Empty

Back to top Go down

Using terra cotta for hides?
Page 1 of 1