The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead

Go down 
+2
Chrome
bjaeger
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead Empty
PostSubject: Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead   Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead Empty10/9/2009, 10:41 am

I was just checking on my Bothriurus sp. and I noticed she hadn't moved and was in a funny position, so I went in for a closer view, blew on her, nudged her, and she didn't move. I also sprayed her slightly. Tried getting some kind of reaction but nothing happened. It was the one that I was posting for approx. a year about being gravid. After trying to get some signs of life out of her I decided to cut her open. What I found was a brown gooey substance; nothing solid; no babies. I'm pretty sure that she wasn't gone for long and it didn't have an odor (my smell is limited do to a sinus infection). She was WC, so could it have been parasites? That was my second thought.

She was getting big, so I automatically assumed that she was gravid. She hadn't eaten for a while, had a bad leg, and signs of mycosis. She might have died because of that, but I'm thinking that it was parasites that killed her.

I'm not even sure if it was even a "her."

Here's a link to a thread about the scorp that I had posted some time ago (with pics): https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/scorpions-in-general-f12/gravid-bothriurus-sp-t1602.htm

Anyone have some thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead   Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead Empty10/9/2009, 8:04 pm

that sucks, could also just have been old age because lots of animals get bloated before they pass on. Any idea the estimated age?
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

PostSubject: Re: Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead   Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead Empty10/9/2009, 8:13 pm

Not sure. As I said, it was WC. It started getting big a little over a year ago.
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

PostSubject: Re: Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead   Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead Empty10/9/2009, 8:31 pm

Still a terrible thing to find a scorp layin dead though, guess it's time to find a replacement for its enclosure tho Smile I really do bet it was old age though, kuz you know how to keep scorps probably better than most.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead   Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead Empty10/9/2009, 11:05 pm

Sorry to hear that, Brandon, but I'm gonna go with Chrome on this and guess old age.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

PostSubject: Re: Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead   Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead Empty10/10/2009, 12:39 am

So what do you guys think the brown gooey stuff was that came out of her?

On a good note, my B. jacksoni female seems to be getting bigger. I know she's not old because I raised her from 2i. I also haven't fed them for at least a week. Hopefully that'll go well!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead   Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead Empty10/10/2009, 12:52 am

bjaeger wrote:
So what do you guys think the brown gooey stuff was that came out of her?

Scorp-o-guts.
Back to top Go down
PaperTiger
Babycurus
PaperTiger

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead   Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead Empty10/10/2009, 4:13 am

Sorry for the loss
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

PostSubject: Re: Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead   Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead Empty10/10/2009, 5:02 am

prolly i bet its like human biology, like when a human body ceases function it bloats and secretes bile. the brown gooey stuff was prolly the scorpion equivalent.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead   Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead Empty10/10/2009, 7:50 am

sorry to hear it
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

PostSubject: Re: Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead   Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead Empty10/10/2009, 1:31 pm

Thanks, guys.

It was bloated like that for over a year, though.

Surprised
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead   Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead Empty10/16/2009, 10:05 pm

oh no really sorry to hear about this mate Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead   Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead Empty

Back to top Go down

Supposed "gravid" Bothriurus just found dead
Page 1 of 1