The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?

Go down 
+2
binksyboy3
Sithis
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2010-02-09

Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty
PostSubject: Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?   Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty2/17/2010, 5:14 pm

as many of you know I have a male that is one molt away from adulthood. I know the hotbox speeds up metabolism, but will it bring on the next molt faster? And what for a gravid female?(will it make her produce faster?)
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?   Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty2/17/2010, 7:54 pm

Sorry, what is a hotbox? scratch
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?   Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty2/17/2010, 11:54 pm

A tutorial was posted by ~Abyss~ on creating a hot box. Here it is
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?   Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty2/18/2010, 7:52 am

Really, you need Abyss to answer that for you.
It probably does from what I read on that thread as they were saying about scorpions not molting yet and so they want to create a hot box, so yeah I guess so.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?   Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty2/21/2010, 2:37 am

I think it would speed things up, but it's hard to say just how much. I've mostly considered it for my really hot-climate species that I've had a hard time getting to molt (like, a bark scorpion stuck at 2I for a year).
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?   Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty2/22/2010, 5:18 pm

Thanks m8
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?   Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty2/25/2010, 7:40 am

It should speed up everything to varying degrees, just like Mordax said...

As far as a gravid female birthing quicker, that is a maybe imo....

It depends how developed the embryos are, etc...

For example, a mom with what would normally be a month left, having the temp raised should not affect birth rate as there has to be full development anyway. But if say, you raised it towards the beginning, I think you could see time shortened. However, I know of no experiment to validate this, if anyone is looking for one....
Back to top Go down
gromgroms
Centruroides
gromgroms

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?   Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty2/25/2010, 7:37 pm

In theory, it will make them molt faster
In addition, plentiful, even healthy gut loaded food will help. I mean, stuffing their faces
And not stressing them out.

But is it worth the risk to you?
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?   Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty2/26/2010, 2:58 am

It would be worth it just to make it to adulthood and to make a female produce a brood faster. and as soon as those would be done, put them back in the regular habitat
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?   Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty2/26/2010, 3:40 am

ok...i could be wrong, but in every species, wont speeding its growth reduce its life?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?   Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty2/26/2010, 11:16 am

That's what everyone seems to think. I have not seen an experiment. But I believe it.

I don't think that's the issue for many of us.... It's the health along way that we care about.

But as I understand, scorpions "death" clocks start when they mature. You may have 1 yr or 5 yrs left, and you can effect that still with some with temps.
Back to top Go down
Sithis
Centruroides
Sithis

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?   Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty2/26/2010, 11:39 am

I have decided to just let my sub adult molt when he does. If I get a female I will mate her and see how long it takes her to produce. I have an adult male already. I just have never seen a brood of slings with my own eyes. I think it would be cool to record when it happened and watch her grow and hopefully see a birth.(I know watching the babys be born is unlikely but it can happen)
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?   Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty2/26/2010, 12:04 pm

I think this is the best idea personally. I would like to do an experiment one day to test it. But I can't right now. But it is an interesting biological aspect of scorpions huh? Smile

And I've watched birthings. It's cool.

Actually, here's my C. vittatus photobucket. You can see on the first page I think, the "xeric" mother birthing. The pics aren't great. But you see here with none, one, two, etc...

https://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt279/Nomadinexile/Centruroides%20vitttatus/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?   Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will the "Hotbox Method" make my scorp ready to molt faster?
Page 1 of 1