The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

lighting & attraction

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
thumpersalley
Hadogenes
thumpersalley

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-10-18

lighting & attraction Empty
PostSubject: lighting & attraction   lighting & attraction Empty9/6/2009, 9:39 pm

I have night lights on each of the shelves for my Ts & scorpions. I have them on when Im feeding, just looking at them or have clients here. Whenever they are on, my C.Sculps cluster under it. When its off, they go under their branches to hang out until its night. Why are they attracted to the light? Are they cold? Kim
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: lighting & attraction   lighting & attraction Empty9/6/2009, 9:43 pm

More likely they are cold.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: lighting & attraction   lighting & attraction Empty9/6/2009, 11:52 pm

They're from Arizona, which is warm, and you're in Oregon, which is not.

So yeah, probably enjoying the temporary warm spot. Smile
Back to top Go down
thumpersalley
Hadogenes
thumpersalley

PostSubject: Re: lighting & attraction   lighting & attraction Empty9/6/2009, 11:59 pm

Thanks for the info. I will see what I can do for some heat. 2 more females giving birth right now. Very interesting to watch. Kim
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: lighting & attraction   lighting & attraction Empty9/7/2009, 12:00 am

I'm jealous . . . I've had at least nine broods in my care, but have never gotten to see the actual process. (Well, I sort of caught one in the middle, but I couldn't see much from the angle mom was at.)
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: lighting & attraction   lighting & attraction Empty9/7/2009, 5:38 am

i am sure the warmth would be beneficial, but they can't be too miserable if giving birth!
Back to top Go down
thumpersalley
Hadogenes
thumpersalley

PostSubject: Re: lighting & attraction   lighting & attraction Empty9/7/2009, 11:03 am

I have one female who has them on her back. The other one, I dont know. I saw her walking around for about an hour last night with them hanging from her mouth & then I saw one of the males eating one. I got up early this A.M to get the light on so they could cluster under it so I could do a head count & pull the females out. Kim
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: lighting & attraction   lighting & attraction Empty9/7/2009, 11:43 am

Probably best to have the gravid females in their own tanks. Sorry to hear about the lost brood Sad.
Back to top Go down
thumpersalley
Hadogenes
thumpersalley

PostSubject: Re: lighting & attraction   lighting & attraction Empty9/9/2009, 10:51 am

#1 & #2 are doing great. #1s babies are mostly on her back still but 2 have come off. Do I take the 2 out & place them in their own containers now or wait until all of them come off? Kim
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: lighting & attraction   lighting & attraction Empty9/9/2009, 11:13 am

The choice is yours. I've never separated Centruroides, but with others, I would wait until almost all were off the female's back. Then I'd remove her with the few that were left on her back, separate all the young who had left her back, and by then most of the commotion made the remainder come off so they could be separated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: lighting & attraction   lighting & attraction Empty

Back to top Go down

lighting & attraction
Page 1 of 1