The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New enclosure lighting!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2010-11-05

New enclosure lighting! Empty
PostSubject: New enclosure lighting!   New enclosure lighting! Empty6/12/2013, 9:28 pm

So we bought these new shelves to put all of my specimens on, but didn't measure first. Smart me. There isn't enough clearance between shelves to allow for heat lamps on top of the enclosures. So I ordered some flex watt (on it's way!) and some awesome LED lighting strips to compensate for heat and day cycles. Thought I'd share some pics. I think they work great.

The LED strips I bought off of a wholesaler on Amazon for about $25 each. They consist of 3 10" LED bars that you daisy chain together. The result is an awesome, warm white glow that will be nice and gentle on the specimens. No UV emissions, either, from this color, from the research I have done. Whatcha think?

New enclosure lighting! 20130612_201136

New enclosure lighting! 20130612_201115

New enclosure lighting! 20130612_200937

New enclosure lighting! 20130612_200915
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: New enclosure lighting!   New enclosure lighting! Empty6/12/2013, 10:44 pm

I think it looks great! I really can't wait to section off my 10 gals and do something really extravagant like yours. By the way, I can see your parabuthus in the third pic. Super cool!
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: New enclosure lighting!   New enclosure lighting! Empty6/12/2013, 10:48 pm

Smile Thanks. I keep forgetting to get pics of the scorps in the enclosure for you. Those P. trans are only in this one temporarily. I have another enclosure that I split into 3 units instead of 5. As soon as I get the flex watt wired up they're going in there. The units pictured here are too small for that big of a specimen.
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: New enclosure lighting!   New enclosure lighting! Empty6/13/2013, 1:24 am

It's been brought to my attention that it may be better if I don't use any lighting at all or use constant red lighting instead of using the warm white light (not talking about heat... I know they need that). I'd like to hear multiple opinions on this. I have seen this debated many times and have always heard that, for circadian rhythms, they should have day/night cycles instead of being subjected to constant night. Some say the lack of circadian rhythm stresses them. Some say the day cycle itself stresses them out. It's hard to figure out what to believe.

What do you guys think? Should I return the LED strips and get red ones instead? Or should I keep the strips and give them day cycles? Just fyi... The strips I have are 3000K LED's, meaning they burn at a temperature that gives off a good amount of red/yellow light and not as much blue/green as a 4000K or 5000K light. Regular incandescent lights burn at around 2700K, so it's not much more than that.
Back to top Go down
TheKevil
Babycurus
TheKevil

PostSubject: Re: New enclosure lighting!   New enclosure lighting! Empty6/15/2013, 6:33 pm

Decided to send the lighting back. After talk to another buddy of mine and really thinking about it, I figured that it's just more electricity being used, more work and more more outlets taken up. The flex watt is gonna use enough of those things as it is. I'm sure the girlfriend will appreciate the better simplicity and less electrical cords everywhere...
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: New enclosure lighting!   New enclosure lighting! Empty6/15/2013, 9:37 pm

I have a west facing window in my room, so my scorpions get a good day-night cycle. I don't even turn on my lights anymore because the heat lamps light my room now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New enclosure lighting!   New enclosure lighting! Empty

Back to top Go down

New enclosure lighting!
Page 1 of 1