The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Suggestions for a scorpion newbie

Go down 
+8
Kuma
The-Scorp-Whisperer
HyourinMaru
Rideon
GideonSmith08
LadyRiotControl
2xw
The-New-Guy
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2009-07-29

Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/4/2009, 8:00 pm

I currently have 2 emperor scorpions but am quite fastly getting into the addiction, any suggestions for other types i could look into? Thanks awesome
Back to top Go down
2xw
Centruroides
2xw

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/4/2009, 8:31 pm

An arabian death stalker or solpugid like a camel spider.

No im only joking.

Blatently if your the same as me and have only just got into it, you might want one thats relatively... easy to keep and less agressive perhaps.
"African Burrowing Scorpions, Asian Forest Scorpions, Bark Scorpions, Flat Rock Scorpions, Gold scorpions and Giant Hairy Scorpions. (that bit was copied off of google ill leave it too more experienced members to talk about specific species... especially latin names)
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/4/2009, 8:44 pm

African burrowing scorpions - Opistophthalmus
Asian forest scorpions - Heterometrus
Flat Rock - Hadogenes
Gold scorpions - Scorpio maurus
Giant hairy - Hadrurus
Bark scorpions I believe are Centruroids, which you would need a DWA license for if you live in the UK

as a next step I would say either the Heterometrus or the Hadogenes, both very simple to care for and impressive sized scorpions, you will find care sheets for them here on the forum.

Of course there are also Liocheles sp. which kinda resemble 'flat rocks' only a lot smaller, and Iomachus sp. which are the smaller cousin of the 'flat rocks' and have that same flat and out of proportion appeal to them. Again all very easy to care for
Back to top Go down
GideonSmith08
Centruroides
GideonSmith08

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 1:28 am

If you want a smaller species that I'd consider good for a beginer, then I'd recommend a dune scorpion or one of the less venomous bark scorpions.
Back to top Go down
Rideon
Centruroides
Rideon

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 2:21 am

if you like small scorpions then get ur self some Liocheles Australsiae or you could call it dwarf bark scorpion
Back to top Go down
HyourinMaru
Pandinus
HyourinMaru

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 6:30 am

Dwarf wood scorpion rideon.I made dat mistake too Razz
Heteromtrus sp. is good choice also as their needs similar to emperor scorpion and they r slightly aggresive than emperor scorpion.
Bark scorpion i start wiv liocheles australasiae...Desert sp. i think hadrurus arizonensis is a good choice.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 6:33 am

I think if you have jst started out you might want to perhaps avoid the Gold scorpion cause they are VERY fast and VERY aggressive and might not be that suitable for a beginner, i dont know if thats how all are thats just how my one is lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 9:09 am

HyourinMaru wrote:
Bark scorpion i start wiv liocheles australasiae

Wood scorpion mate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 9:50 am

arg, common names!

but seriously, Liocheles is a great genus, i have a L waigiensis, and it is fantastic.
i can't do much but second those other suggestions.
though i might say with Scorpio maurus palmatus, they don't appear to live too long in captivity based on what i've heard. i think they are rarely bred and the ones that come in are already adult mostly, and towards the end of their tether.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 10:32 am

Back to top Go down
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 10:35 am

Wow didnt expect so many people to write back lol, yeah i have only just got into it whoever said that, but can see why people that get into scorpions and spiders etc have so many now lol, im happy to say my scorpions have near enough given up on fighting eachother, had a few problems when part of the males sting snapped off as some of you may of seen in my "Snapped sting" topic, but now they are just the cutest couple, check them out lol:

https://2img.net/h/i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss157/scorpion-newbie/DSC00265.jpg

Uhh ok i have 2 reptile shops close to me, I know for a fact the closer one only has giant hairys and golden isreali scorpions i think there called?

The other one im not so certain of, but then again theres always the internet lol.

I was thinking along the lines of something that wouldnt grow so big, my 2 emperors at the moment are having a luxury time in a 95L fish tank, they are very greatful i would like to think awesome Lol

Maybe a desert hairy thinking about it, some sort of sand species i was thinking about, and to the guy that said death stalker that did make me laugh lol, although i know someone that sells them illegally if i wanted one, ive got to admit its tempting, but not just yet i dont think Very Happy

But yeah some sort of sand species i was thinking of, so many desert hairy is the way forward?
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 10:39 am

GideonSmith08 wrote:
If you want a smaller species that I'd consider good for a beginer, then I'd recommend a dune scorpion or one of the less venomous bark scorpions.

Dont know if anyone has mentioned it but a Smeringus mesaensis would be cool. desert species, amaller than a Hadrurus (Desert hairy) and quite feisty.
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 10:48 am

good recommendation! they also have this almost neon yellow glow which i find rather appealing.
though you can't beat a good old Hadrurus either Very Happy glad i have both Wink

newguy, yeah they are a bit more-ish! so many wonderful species!

Mr. Mordax, that's quite a handy tool!
Back to top Go down
HyourinMaru
Pandinus
HyourinMaru

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 10:49 am

Kuma wrote:
HyourinMaru wrote:
Bark scorpion i start wiv liocheles australasiae

Wood scorpion mate Very Happy

Arrgh!!!I keep mistake it as bark Embarassed
Thx 4 correcting me though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 10:57 am

As for all this debate about what species are called what . . .

"Common names are for common scorpions."

I don't even know WHAT the hell "golden Israeli scorpion" is supposed to refer to. Scorpio maurus, perhaps? scratch
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 11:00 am

I'm not fussed for common names my comment was an lol to the below two statements being in the same post. Smile

HyourinMaru wrote:
Dwarf wood scorpion rideon.I made dat mistake too Razz

Bark scorpion i start wiv liocheles australasiae...
Back to top Go down
HyourinMaru
Pandinus
HyourinMaru

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 11:08 am

Every1 makes mistakes Cool
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 11:11 am

No sweat i'm just messing.... Ps welcome to the friendliest forum in town lol!
Back to top Go down
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/5/2009, 3:18 pm

Im not 100% but there called israeli gold scorpions or gold israeli, one of the too, was only a tiny baby one, about an inch long, sand substrate, on the box it says israeli gold.

I dunno, thats why im asking you guys! lol
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/6/2009, 3:31 am

Thats the one for a scorpio maurus palmatus.
Wonderful little things!
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/6/2009, 10:17 am

*Connie* wrote:
Thats the one for a scorpio maurus palmatus.
Wonderful little things!

I'll second that, very fast, aggressive and always diggin lol they move that much sand in one night its the equivelent of us shiftin like 2 tonnes of sand with our bare hands, its mental lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/6/2009, 6:39 pm

Well yeah like i said, want some sort of sand species one i would think, something different to my emperors if you get my drift, think it would be intresting to see how they compare and whats different etc Very Happy

I had a look at that "Choose your scorpion wizard" that you linked mordax, thanks Very Happy

If it works then it would seem i want one of the following:

Vaejovis / Hoffimanus spp., Diplocentrus spp., Paruroctonus boreus, or Smeringurus spp.

If i narrow it down to these few any recommendations?

Thats the list for beginner, dry enviroment, non-communal, small species. Thanks again for everyones comments! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/6/2009, 6:51 pm

Why not pick up a hairy at the pet shop that you said was close to you? They're a good second scorp. It almost matches the wizard's answers besides the size part Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/6/2009, 7:09 pm

Tbh desert hairy is tempting, might be a yes even, but the local shop to me lets just say we dont get on too well lol, plus i think there prices are abit over the top, cause they know there the only shop around my area so over price extremly, think a desert hairy is around £65 which cant be far off $150? And i hear desert hairys sometimes have problems with molts so to never buy small? Atleast thats what my friend tells me? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty8/6/2009, 10:14 pm

If they're charging THAT much for a Hadrurus, take your money elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for a scorpion newbie   Suggestions for a scorpion newbie Empty

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for a scorpion newbie
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next