The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Scorpions Fighting?????

Go down 
+2
mrflibble
jamielynn22
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jamielynn22
Pandinus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Scorpions Fighting????? Empty
PostSubject: Scorpions Fighting?????   Scorpions Fighting????? Empty4/20/2009, 6:31 pm

So I'm new to the forum Smile I have a question about my Emperor Scorpion we have had him since August and today my husband decided to get him a friend after reading it was ok to add one to his cage and just as I thought they started fighting! AHH, my older one is now really mad and doing this wierd shivering thing with his body, is this just a sign he is mad or did he get stung? we finally seperated them after our old one was dragging the new one around and looked like he was trying to eat him, we did feed him a cricket that was already in the cage and he inhaled it faster then ever before, not sure what that was about. SO....do you think we should put them together again, my husband is moving them both from the 10 gallon tank to a 25 gallon. and help or advice would be greatly appreciated, as you can tell we are new at this:)
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Fighting?????   Scorpions Fighting????? Empty4/20/2009, 7:24 pm

sounds like they were trying to mate to me
the male pulls the female around to get her in a decent spot to lay a spermatophor and the shivering is kinda how they communicate with each other
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Fighting?????   Scorpions Fighting????? Empty4/20/2009, 7:25 pm

and welcome to the forum Smile
Back to top Go down
jamielynn22
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Fighting?????   Scorpions Fighting????? Empty4/20/2009, 7:37 pm

Oh please tell me that isn't the case LOL! I guess we will find out soon, what is the gestation cycle do you know? I'm sure this is the first of my many questions, thanks for the help Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kuma
Tityus
Kuma

Number of posts : 839
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Fighting?????   Scorpions Fighting????? Empty4/20/2009, 8:13 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

When you do put them together again, mix up all the substrate and move around the hides then introduce them together. Providing enough hides for them to choose from, though they'll usually end up using the same hide. Doing it this way stops your original Emporer from being territorial.

If they have mated and this is usually only possible if they have a flat surface ie. apiece of plastic or a flat piece of slate, gestation can last from anything from 1 year to 18 months.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Fighting?????   Scorpions Fighting????? Empty4/20/2009, 8:39 pm

Moved to emp section.

Yes, they were mating. The shaking you saw is called "juddering;" it's part of courtship often displayed by the male. Don't worry if anyone got stung -- that also may happen during mating, and scorps are immune to their own species' venom (the mating sting is akin to buying a lovely lady a drink at a bar Wink).

If you separated them too soon, then she probably wasn't fertilized -- BUT, many females come from petstores already gravid, so you could see babies anytime between tomorrow and 18 months from now, regardless of whether your male was successful.

A pair in a 10-gallon is fine, but be forewarned that females nearing birth are more likely to eat tankmates.
Back to top Go down
jamielynn22
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Fighting?????   Scorpions Fighting????? Empty4/20/2009, 9:28 pm

We just got done setting up the new 25 gallon tank so neither of them feel at home anymore, and they are each in there seperate corners with 4 hiding places for the taking:) Thanks for all your help I'll let you know if we get babies between tomorrow and 18 months:)
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Fighting?????   Scorpions Fighting????? Empty4/20/2009, 9:53 pm

Welcome to the forum...and look how much more you know since August!!! Fun fun!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Fighting?????   Scorpions Fighting????? Empty4/21/2009, 1:57 pm

Welcome to the forum and if you get babies any time soon or in a good few months...dont panic. We shall be here to offer advice
xxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Fighting?????   Scorpions Fighting????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Scorpions Fighting?????
Page 1 of 1