The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting Empty
PostSubject: Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting   Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting Empty4/12/2009, 9:12 pm

My wee Hoffmanius Spinigerus is in the middle of moulting n i was just wantin to double check how long i should wait till i feed him again, a week? How many moults do scorps usually go through till they reach adult, its about 6-7 right?

I'll get pics up tomorrow, managed to catch him with his metasoma nearly all the way out, its wierd cause hes really alert n is walkin about a wee bit too, im not disturbing him much just took a couple pics then replaced the hide.

Cheers.

P.S Cheesin!! Very Happy never seen a scorp moult before, ive seen pics but never had one of my own moult before, exciting stuff! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting   Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting Empty4/12/2009, 9:36 pm

feed him whenever he will eat again, just wait at least a week. it usually takes a few weeks ime.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting   Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting Empty4/12/2009, 10:47 pm

It's more like five or six molts; sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on species.

I think male B. jacksoni mature after four molts (fifth instar), while U. mordax matures after six molts (seventh instar).

You'll know it's safe to feed again when the new scorp glows as bright as the exuvium under a blacklight.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting   Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting Empty4/13/2009, 7:45 am

Shame i dont have a black light, i have a problem tho the last 3 segments of his tail are stuck in the old skin and its covering his telson so if i cant get it off he cant excrete, what should i do ive tried gently picking it off with a needle but he just keeps running away n i dont want to hol him in place with anything cause hes still a bit soft, ive also tried soaking the old parts of skin n picking them off but its not working, any advice.
Back to top Go down
Deathstalker
Centruroides
Deathstalker

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting   Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting Empty4/13/2009, 8:03 am

i should imagine it should come of in time, higher the humidity, i've seen a scorp in captivity without its telson and it lasted years!
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting   Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting Empty4/13/2009, 11:10 am

yeah i read in my scorp book the author had a scorp missin the last 2 segments of the metasoma including the telson n lived for years but im just worried its gonna block stuff cause those last 2 segments are noticeably smaller than the rest cause theyre still stuck in the old skin, theyre really stuck on i cant shift them n it doesnt look liek the scorps tried since this morning.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting   Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting Empty4/13/2009, 1:46 pm

you can try and pry it off.. I've had this problem too with s'lings and usually the scorp gets away with a dodgy tail. you could also try putting a little bit of water around the scorpion, not on it, sometimes that helps loosen up the old exo.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

PostSubject: Re: Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting   Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting Empty4/13/2009, 6:45 pm

tried pickin it off n tried wetting it then picking it off it wont budge, plus it doesnt help that the scorp keeps tryin to run away, its just cause its really wee and very light so i cant get any purchase on it

EDIT: Just had another go, no luck, hes started to sclerotize aswell and some of his colour has come back aswell as bein harder, and just while im here im keeping him in an 18cmx18cmx12cm Exo Terra "Breeding Box" will that do him for all of hisl ife or will he need a bigger tun when he reaches adult?

Here's a pic of him moulting too:

Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting Sdc12353

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting   Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting Empty

Back to top Go down

Hoffmanius Spinigerus moulting
Page 1 of 1