The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

scorpions kept at room temp?

Go down 
+5
*Connie*
Mr. Mordax
mrflibble
scorpion111
Deathstalker
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Deathstalker
Centruroides
Deathstalker

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2009-03-06

scorpions kept at room temp? Empty
PostSubject: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/12/2009, 12:51 pm

hi i've been told scorpions can be kept fine at room temp (22-25oc) is this true?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/12/2009, 1:41 pm

yeah they should be fine. as long as it doesn't get below 60F they should be ok.
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/12/2009, 1:55 pm

yeah scorps are fine at that temp although some are more fine than others
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/12/2009, 2:01 pm

Depends on the species.

Some that come from very hot regions will develop very slowly, if at all, when kept at room temperature.

Temperate species may do better at room temperatures than they would if given supplemental heat.
Back to top Go down
Deathstalker
Centruroides
Deathstalker

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/12/2009, 3:41 pm

i have a african red claw and a red desert, would they both be ok or should i give them heat mats?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/12/2009, 3:43 pm

I dunno what a red desert is.. but the "red claw" (P.cavi, right ?) should be ok.. but don't expect alot of activity.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/12/2009, 4:03 pm

this winter. I had my pandinus cavimanus in the back bedroom. its COLD in there. Sadly I didnt know that the heat mat wasnt plugged in (this only happened with her in there as no room as we had just moved in etc etc).
I found her in a robotic state, cold and banging the glass over and over with one claw on her side,. She died 3 days later.
Dont know if it was old age, the cold or a bit of both.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Deathstalker
Centruroides
Deathstalker

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/12/2009, 4:04 pm

i bought it as a red desert scorpion (Brachistosternus castroi RCF ) there both on mats but was just wondering if i was to have a scorpion room either you could just have that room's heating on all the time or if mats would be better!?
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/12/2009, 4:24 pm

IMO a smallish heated room is cheaper than individually heating each cage... my scorp/snake/lizard/fish/other invert etc ect. room is hot and humid and i keep my anoles and spinifers next to the fishtank which gives them a bit of heat and humidity.. but all my scorps are really slow to grow because i dont heat them (except the desert hairy)
Back to top Go down
Deathstalker
Centruroides
Deathstalker

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/12/2009, 4:29 pm

thats what i'm aiming for my own room, we also keep retics and burms so we need maybe 2 rooms!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/12/2009, 4:42 pm

well, Brachistosternus is a Bothriurid, in general these scorpions (and the whole Bothriurid family) are best kept at 70 - 75F. to much heat will kill them..

but, for the other scorps I would keep them warm. they won't do much if they are kept cool.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/13/2009, 12:36 am

Heating the room is only worth it if you have a lot of specimens that require an ambient temperature higher than room temp. It also helps to keep your feeders producing.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/13/2009, 1:08 am

Room temp should be fine for all scorpions (65-75F) but remember that they will hardly be active, eat less, and grow much slower.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/13/2009, 3:48 am

~Abyss~ wrote:
they will hardly be active, eat less, and grow much slower.

Careful about making that as a blanket statement -- species from temperate climates have normal activity at those temperatures, and even cooler temps. I was at an autumn farmers' market with the bugzoo and our emps were catatonic but our pair of mordax were as active as ever.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/13/2009, 5:38 am

How much danger is there in keeping the baby mordax at 80F do you think?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/13/2009, 10:59 am

I doubt there'd be a whole lot of danger; I was just countering Eddy's statement of all scorpions being slow when kept at room temperature.
Back to top Go down
Deathstalker
Centruroides
Deathstalker

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/13/2009, 3:31 pm

yeah thats true, i think i'll keep them on mats then lol!
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/13/2009, 7:30 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
~Abyss~ wrote:
they will hardly be active, eat less, and grow much slower.

Careful about making that as a blanket statement -- species from temperate climates have normal activity at those temperatures, and even cooler temps. I was at an autumn farmers' market with the bugzoo and our emps were catatonic but our pair of mordax were as active as ever.
I agree. I should of mentioned that temperate species would be fine. Thanks for the correction.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/26/2009, 5:50 pm

i think room temp. is fine, but personally i would crank up the heat a bit + raise humidity when they're ready to molt. I always get a little jumpy about damages.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/26/2009, 11:55 pm

I lost 2 of the little U. Mordax while keeping them at 80F. Now that I lowered the temps just a few degrees they have seemed to stablize, so I would say this species is sensitive to higher temps. The B. Jacksoni seem to love it warmer...80F to 90F is maturing them well and they are quite active.
Back to top Go down
Deathstalker
Centruroides
Deathstalker

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty3/27/2009, 3:04 pm

i've got my U.granulatus at room temp but my others are on mats
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: scorpions kept at room temp?   scorpions kept at room temp? Empty

Back to top Go down

scorpions kept at room temp?
Page 1 of 1