The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Some days I love this hobby . . .

Go down 
+2
scorpion111
Mr. Mordax
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Some days I love this hobby . . . Empty
PostSubject: Some days I love this hobby . . .   Some days I love this hobby . . . Empty2/23/2009, 12:03 pm

I hadn't done the rounds in a while, so yesterday I went through and checked on everybody in my collection. (Today I'll start on Lori's and the visiting collection.)

I offered my gigantic Heterometrus a large cockroach (she's easily taken down adult B. fusca) and she readily attacked, but missed and hit the forceps. The roach got away down her burrow. I figured her pinch to the forceps was enough to tell me she was hungry, so I got another roach out . . . I'll spare you the gory details, but there were lots of crunching noises. Twisted Evil Then I noticed the other roach starting to come back out of the burrow. I turned around to attend to something and by the time I looked back she had one in her chela and one in her mouth (with the antennae still wiggling!).

She then retired to her burrow, I put her hide back, and refilled the false-bottom. Fun times.

The other awesome thing that happened last night . . . I checked on the communal U. mordax tank and saw that at least one of my females was quite . . . pudgy. When I offered her prey and she stung, I thought I could see embryos through her tergites. Then an hour or so later, I saw a female resting against the glass with embryos CLEARLY visible! She didn't have prey, either, so it's possible both of my females are gravid. cheers

The only problem is I don't know if this is my female that had the brood last summer or one of the recent WCs. It would be cool to know if there was mating going on in my tank.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Some days I love this hobby . . .   Some days I love this hobby . . . Empty2/23/2009, 12:38 pm

pretty cool. Smile

good luck with the mordax, hope you get good babies.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Some days I love this hobby . . .   Some days I love this hobby . . . Empty2/23/2009, 2:17 pm

send me some! heheheheee
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Some days I love this hobby . . .   Some days I love this hobby . . . Empty2/23/2009, 3:27 pm

I will when you guys send me some Euscorpis! Razz
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Some days I love this hobby . . .   Some days I love this hobby . . . Empty2/23/2009, 3:30 pm

If I ever get a hold of any Euscorps I'll never let go.. unless they have kids lol. mordax look like sweet little scorps. you seem to like them anyway lol!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Some days I love this hobby . . .   Some days I love this hobby . . . Empty2/23/2009, 3:45 pm

I'm tellin' ya, they're Oregon's answer to emperors! The young even seem more eager for food than some of my Buthid slings.
Back to top Go down
AshMashMash
Babycurus
AshMashMash

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Some days I love this hobby . . .   Some days I love this hobby . . . Empty2/23/2009, 5:32 pm

Nice one! Good luck with them. I hope they are indeed breeding in your tank Smile
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Some days I love this hobby . . .   Some days I love this hobby . . . Empty2/23/2009, 6:30 pm

Some days I love you.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Some days I love this hobby . . .   Some days I love this hobby . . . Empty2/24/2009, 12:27 am

AshMashMash wrote:
I hope they are indeed breeding in your tank Smile

Me too! I should look for a spermatophore, but it's probably too small to notice.

Venom wrote:
Some days I love you.

I love you Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Some days I love this hobby . . .   Some days I love this hobby . . . Empty2/24/2009, 3:12 am

That is so awesome! I hope you get a ton of them! Tell me again what species is in southern Idaho. I was trying to remember and couldn't for the life of me remember what you said.

I had my third successful molt to 4i...5 more to go and now 3 or so are getting plump!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Some days I love this hobby . . .   Some days I love this hobby . . . Empty2/24/2009, 3:55 am

Probably P. boreus you're thinking of.

I hope I get a ton, too! The last brood had 26, all making it to 2I. From what I learned about that brood, I bet I can get a survival rate in the 75 to 80 percent range with the next set (the last brood had only about 30% survive to third instar -- I learned that 2I aren't very communal and that I shouldn't give them away until they hit 3I).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some days I love this hobby . . .   Some days I love this hobby . . . Empty

Back to top Go down

Some days I love this hobby . . .
Page 1 of 1