The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Parasite Question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ManicDan
Centruroides
ManicDan

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Parasite Question Empty
PostSubject: Parasite Question   Parasite Question Empty9/3/2008, 12:07 am

Hey all, today I found maggots in my cricket enclosure, all the crickets were dead save one, most of the swarming maggots were small, like I think fruit fly sized, but some were considerably larger (not huge mind you, but 1/4 to 1/6 of an inch) and were more visible than fruit flies themselves are (Not sure how big the babies get before they morph). I think rigorously checked the enclosure and found that a decent bit of the crickets I put in there have actually died in hiding... then we found a corner in the far side of the tank that has some of the maggots residing in it, the good news is they're moving almost not at all, whereas the ones in the cricket tank were in a gross frenzy. I am totally cleaning the tank tomorrow and baking the substrate and getting some new stuff, should I be worried? Are there any parasitic worms that come out and roam a bit? I hope (and think) everything is okay and should be fine once I clean everything up, but if I am wrong, someone tell me, hehe. Thanks guys,

Dan
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Parasite Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parasite Question   Parasite Question Empty9/3/2008, 5:00 am

There is a breed of "fruit"fly thats a carnivor it breeds faster and have bigger maggots then fruitflies they can be a pain in the <butt> to get rid off. And they go for everything they dont attack living stuff, but a dead cricket can become maggot city in 24 hours and they go from maggot to flie in 48 or so.. i hope that these aint the ones you have Very Happy but it chould sound like it, but dont worry if you clean up and stuff they can be killed easly..

Last edited by IHeartMantids on 9/3/2008, 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Language -- and you're an admin!)
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Parasite Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parasite Question   Parasite Question Empty9/3/2008, 10:24 am

There's another family of small flies called Phorids -- they can wreak havoc in tarantula collections, so that may be what you're seeing.

Remember, just 'cause it eats something doesn't mean it's a parasite.
Back to top Go down
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Parasite Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parasite Question   Parasite Question Empty9/3/2008, 10:34 am

i often find Phorids in with crickets, and thus have a decent population in my animal area Sad
they are horrible!
but housekeeping a bit will control them, as will using woodlice and springtails in the enclosures to eat leftovers and out compete both mites and Phorid flies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Parasite Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parasite Question   Parasite Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Parasite Question
Page 1 of 1