The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

UK DWA question?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Guyliath
Pandinus

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-10-07

UK DWA question? Empty
PostSubject: UK DWA question?   UK DWA question? Empty10/7/2009, 6:49 am

Hi This is a clarification question for those in the UK, Ideally current licence holders, no offence. Smile
I have just printed off the schedule of DWA species (I think it is the latest one, post the 2007 review).
It lists "All Buthidae" as being covered by the licence, now I am pretty sure Centruroides sit under the banner of Buthidae (according to Rubio's book) am I right or wrong. I wanted to check, as DEFRA are useless in regards scorps. I have seen some lovely Centruroides on a german stock list, and want to make sure i am not breaking the law by buying some. scratch

Also i don't know if people think it is worth while, but would it be useful to keep a sticky listing what we can and can't buy in the UK (maybe there are other countries with similar restrictions, we could make a list for you guys too?). Just cause I sure there are many cool species I could get, but my taxonomic knowledge, is shakey with scorps....eeep! Laughing

Please guys and girls don't use this thread to say how rubbish the DWA act is in regards to venemous, believe me, i know it is pony and pointless, but the thread will just get HUGE if everyone of us spouts our annoyance, and i won't know if I can buy me scorps....hehe. Very Happy

Thanks scorpion dudes and Girls!

G
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

UK DWA question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UK DWA question?   UK DWA question? Empty10/7/2009, 7:21 am

Hey Mate

If you go to this site http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/ called Scorpion Files
you will be able to see the current Sp list of scorpions and what family they belong to.
The Dude behide the site is Jan Ove Rein, M.Sc. proably one of the biggest scorpion guys in Europe
so you can surely trust his site

But to answer your question yes Centruroides is banned by the DWA law because they belong to the family Buthidae.
But the good thing about the UK DWA law is you guys get alot of orther Sp of scorpions thats ortherwise considered rare in orther countries because you have to stick to all the orther families of scorpions
Back to top Go down
Guyliath
Pandinus

UK DWA question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UK DWA question?   UK DWA question? Empty10/7/2009, 7:25 am

Kejser wrote:
Hey Mate

If you go to this site http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/ called Scorpion Files
you will be able to see the current Sp list of scorpions and what family they belong to.
The Dude behide the site is Jan Ove Rein, M.Sc. proably one of the biggest scorpion guys in Europe

But to answer your question yes Centruroides is banned by the DWA law because they belong to the family Buthidae.
But the good thing about the UK DWA law is you guys get alot of orther Sp of scorpions thats ortherwise considered rare in orther countries because you have to stick to all the orther families of scorpions

Hey Kejser,

Thanks for the reply, the species list will be really useful! I will have to have a look around and see if i can get any other species, (I really wanted those C.nitida Sad ).
Back to top Go down
Guyliath
Pandinus

UK DWA question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UK DWA question?   UK DWA question? Empty10/7/2009, 8:05 am

Kejser wrote:
Hey Mate

Hey Kjeser,

You mention alot of other rare species of scorpions that are kept here in the UK, all I ever seem to see on offer are Pandinus, heterometrus, hadogenes, and hadurus (all WC). Do you know any UK / European guys and girls who are breeding and selling rarer sp. ?

thanks again,

G
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

UK DWA question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UK DWA question?   UK DWA question? Empty10/7/2009, 8:52 am

Well If you go to the Cheeselady's website ( sadely she is abit expensive ) but i found some good chilean scorpions, but i bet if you go to some of the expos in the UK you will be able to find some orther sp. But i bet some of the UK users of this forum will be able to give more infomation about it then i

But here are some websites i know

http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/index.php
http://www.virginiacheeseman.co.uk/

There are more but thats the ones i know just off the top of my head
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

UK DWA question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UK DWA question?   UK DWA question? Empty10/7/2009, 9:58 am

Yes finding rarer scorpions in the UK can be a pain.

I currently have some breeding projects on ATM with some rare / less seen scorpions.

As many people on here know I am currently waiting for the gravids to drop. They know I'm excited and they are making me wait!

So if you are interested in any of these, when you see a post go up that they have given birth drop me a PM

waiting for right now: Calchas nordmanni, Diplocentrus spitzeri
Later this year: Euscorpius flavicaudis
Early 2010: brachistosternus sp. large claw, iomachus politus, Heterometrus maderaspatensis
Back to top Go down
Guyliath
Pandinus

UK DWA question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UK DWA question?   UK DWA question? Empty10/7/2009, 10:57 am

LadyRiotControl wrote:
Yes finding rarer scorpions in the UK can be a pain.

I currently have some breeding projects on ATM with some rare / less seen scorpions.

As many people on here know I am currently waiting for the gravids to drop. They know I'm excited and they are making me wait!

So if you are interested in any of these, when you see a post go up that they have given birth drop me a PM

waiting for right now: Calchas nordmanni, Diplocentrus spitzeri
Later this year: Euscorpius flavicaudis
Early 2010: brachistosternus sp. large claw, iomachus politus, Heterometrus maderaspatensis

Hi Lady,
thanks for the offer, I really want to get down to dungeness or victoria docks and collect some of the euscorpius, hurrah free scorpions, haha. the other species you have are beautiful, particularly the Calchas and the Diplocentrus. Do you have to hibernate the Calchas, being european and all. I must admit I had to google the calchas, diplocentrus and brachistosternus, haha.

cheers for the offers.

best G
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

UK DWA question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UK DWA question?   UK DWA question? Empty

Back to top Go down

UK DWA question?
Page 1 of 1