The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

ophistothalmus molting issues

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
thegromgrom
Breeder
thegromgrom

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2013-03-31

ophistothalmus molting issues Empty
PostSubject: ophistothalmus molting issues   ophistothalmus molting issues Empty10/16/2013, 12:12 pm

excuse spelling, but I've been having issues getting these little dudes to molt. the brood dropped in March and theyve eatin a bunch and look like theyre ready to go...and three have died between my friend and i.. getting worried. i provide more heat and moisture, but nada. what is the trigger that allows them to molt?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: ophistothalmus molting issues   ophistothalmus molting issues Empty10/16/2013, 1:40 pm

Dude if you and Sean can't figure it out why are you asking us?!!!
Are they dying after molts or during molts? Here are a few tips from my end. Keep the heat steady don't let it drop or get higher. Keep a corner of the enclosure humid, and using multiple hides mist under 1 or 2 of the hides. This offeres a variety of humid "spots" so the scorp can pick and choose the humidity. I used this for H.arizonensis molts.
If they are dying during molts try a small spritz of 1 part olive oil 2 part water mix.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: ophistothalmus molting issues   ophistothalmus molting issues Empty10/16/2013, 2:01 pm

I have heard that giving a cold period of 2-4 months at about 15-18 celsius and then turning up the temps to 30-32 celsius and providing more moisture and higher humidity in the hot period.
I kept mine at just below 20 celsius for 3 months and then a hot period at 28-32 with wet spot given once to two times a week.
This was just before the molt:

ophistothalmus molting issues DSCF1406_zps6b8c856e

And after:

ophistothalmus molting issues DSCF1486_zps4e656fd4
Back to top Go down
thegromgrom
Breeder
thegromgrom

PostSubject: Re: ophistothalmus molting issues   ophistothalmus molting issues Empty10/17/2013, 9:32 am

bahaha thanks guys. and weve tried dropping temps then increasing. its essentially what we did recently, with no luck. gonna attempt to feed them and keep em cooler, then increase again. such a pain Razz
Back to top Go down
thegromgrom
Breeder
thegromgrom

PostSubject: Re: ophistothalmus molting issues   ophistothalmus molting issues Empty10/30/2013, 11:42 am

Kept trying the same method i've been doing, and success! One molted this morning! Sadly, I'm down to 5 individuals.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: ophistothalmus molting issues   ophistothalmus molting issues Empty10/30/2013, 12:17 pm

Sucks but at least you guys are trying. Success even a minor one is still a success.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: ophistothalmus molting issues   ophistothalmus molting issues Empty10/30/2013, 12:43 pm

Sad to hear. Yeah, getting a brood from this genus isn't an easy task. Did the others die while molting or before?
Back to top Go down
thegromgrom
Breeder
thegromgrom

PostSubject: Re: ophistothalmus molting issues   ophistothalmus molting issues Empty10/30/2013, 12:46 pm

Before. They just kinda fell over dead. Bizarre, as I've never had issues getting scorpions to molt as of late. It's usually pretty cut and dry, except with this genus it seems. Pain in my butt. But I enjoy their attitudes and colors, as well as the stridulating!

I think I have the breeding report here or on AB. I kept the female super hot with a cool end, pure coco, and 100% humidity. She died of mycosis obviously, but I was pushing hard to get her to pop.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: ophistothalmus molting issues   ophistothalmus molting issues Empty10/30/2013, 1:01 pm

What I have seen with the few that I have kept is that they love a bit of humidity (not a lot) once every week or two. I spray about 1/6th of the substrate and let the water droplets catch on the side, within the hour the scorpion was seen "bathing" in the moist substrate for about an hour or two and then moved into their burrows which was on the hot side for all of them. This behaviour was seen about 90% of the time when watered so a bit of moisture is definitely need. I also find that nothing can replace what nature can produce concerning seasonal changes and the perfect conditions for them to molt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ophistothalmus molting issues   ophistothalmus molting issues Empty

Back to top Go down

ophistothalmus molting issues
Page 1 of 1