The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Its a Girl!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
AFS_mark
Pandinus
AFS_mark

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-10-15

Its  a Girl! Empty
PostSubject: Its a Girl!   Its  a Girl! Empty10/2/2013, 10:36 am

18 months ago I bought an Asian Forest Scorpion on the Internet and was told it was a young male. Now, after passing the either or barrier for gestation (I thought) I wake up this morning to the (male) scorpion with multiple babies on (her) back. what to do?[/justify]If anyone has run into a similar situation and can tell me what to do about these new born scorpions. I cant keep them. I don't want to destroy them. I would be grateful for any suggestions on how to handle this situation.
Thanks,

Mark Its  a Girl! <a href=Its  a Girl! Itsagirl_zpsa15bc280" />
Back to top Go down
AFS_mark
Pandinus
AFS_mark

Its  a Girl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Its a Girl!   Its  a Girl! Empty10/2/2013, 4:09 pm

Its  a Girl! <a href=Its  a Girl! IMAG0547_zpse5e6d7a5" />
Here is a little better pic I took at lunch today. This has to be their birthday cause she wasnt carrying them yesterday
Back to top Go down
Bamboo
Pandinus

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2013-08-17

Its  a Girl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Its a Girl!   Its  a Girl! Empty10/4/2013, 11:38 am

I'm a few hours away from you, I'll take them off your hands Smile
Back to top Go down
AFS_mark
Pandinus
AFS_mark

Its  a Girl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Its a Girl!   Its  a Girl! Empty10/4/2013, 1:14 pm

Hey fantastic.....that would save me so much....my email is m_brookman@hotmail.com, thanks
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Its  a Girl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Its a Girl!   Its  a Girl! Empty10/4/2013, 4:01 pm

First off all congrats. Your enclosure looks way to drt please read the caresheet and raise the humidity. Other than that leave the mother alone the babies will molt in about a 2 weeks to 2i and then start to climb off the mother back. At that point whatever you do is up to you, you can sell them here. Keep them, preferably seperate at first although they're communal you have a higher success rate keeping them seperate but if you can't make sure you keep them well fed with small roaches, baby crickets, or fruitflies.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
AFS_mark
Pandinus
AFS_mark

Its  a Girl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Its a Girl!   Its  a Girl! Empty10/4/2013, 5:57 pm

thanks Abyss, you are right about the drt, it was top of my list to clean replace substrate etc...but I had not expected the young ones. I keep the humidity right at 72% with a humidifier. It doesn't wet the substrate enough but keeps the air moist. I have read the care sheet but I'm going to re read it. I haven't checked into the local shops for pin head crickets but I think that's what I'm going to use. Thanks for the advice on sellng them.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Its  a Girl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Its a Girl!   Its  a Girl! Empty10/4/2013, 6:33 pm

Np, I might even be interested let me know when they climb off the back. Until then just mist the enclosure at least keep it humid i'd go as far even pouring a little water in the corner of the enclosure. And I'd wait a few days before feeding her mother as not to stress her out but definately offer her her a medium sized cricket in afew days.
Back to top Go down
AFS_mark
Pandinus
AFS_mark

Its  a Girl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Its a Girl!   Its  a Girl! Empty10/16/2013, 7:46 pm

The babies have been falling off all week and she has been eating them. I didnt want to disturb her with them still on her so Ive been waiting til they were all off to move her. So I just now moved her away and there were only two that seemed alive. I moved 5 or 6 out of the tank to another tank but only one of them is very active. I dont know what I did wrong, I was sorta looking forward to keeping a few, now maybe if Im lucky I will have one survivor.  
Mark
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Its  a Girl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Its a Girl!   Its  a Girl! Empty10/17/2013, 11:04 am

Sorry to hear, probably enviromental stress. You had the set up really dry for this species it probably felt it was better to eat the babies for nutrient than have them die off. Find yourself a male and try again I succesful baby is better than none.
Back to top Go down
AFS_mark
Pandinus
AFS_mark

Its  a Girl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Its a Girl!   Its  a Girl! Empty10/18/2013, 11:10 am

Yes I think you are right. The humidity is ok in the tank. It never gets below 70%. But the humidity is kept only by the fogger I use. I have never felt that spraying or misting the soil was right because I didn't want to get her wet. If I thought that misting or spraying the soil would have prevented her cannibalizing the young I would defiantly have done it. I have a false bottom terrarium that I haven't used because I have been worried about the electric shock issue with the heat pads and the extra water in the bottom. I stay away all day and cant be there to check it. When I moved the babies away from her I moved them in the false bottom tank and filled the bottom but they all still died. The soil in there is not wet either but the humidity is staying at 80+% with out any artificial humidity. I can keep the temp up with the apartment heating but its kind of expensive to heat it to over 80 over any length of time. Im still trying to decide on what to do at this time. Thanks for all yall's help, I really do appreciate it.
Mark
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Its  a Girl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Its a Girl!   Its  a Girl! Empty10/18/2013, 12:08 pm

Mark the air humidity is imporant but so is the substrate. THey like a moist *not soggy* soil. Live and learn right...next time.
Back to top Go down
AFS_mark
Pandinus
AFS_mark

Its  a Girl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Its a Girl!   Its  a Girl! Empty10/18/2013, 8:24 pm

I guess the only question I have now is.......will it hurt her to get water on her while Im wetting the substrate?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Its  a Girl! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Its a Girl!   Its  a Girl! Empty

Back to top Go down

Its a Girl!
Page 1 of 1